User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider- 18 mo commit??

I just got off the phone with a young lady at schneider. She said my app looked good, etc. Everything was going fine until she got to the part about an 18 month commitment. I even asked her to repeat the commit, she said 18 months.
Does anyone know about or heard of this. EVERYTHING I have seen or heard was a 12 month commit. Even on their site it states a 12 month commit. Is this a ploy? What gives? I was ready to commit ( financing fell thru on the local school), but 18 months changes things. Any suggestions!!

"ALL THE WAY" 8)
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Board Regular

Schneider seems to be a good training company. But raising it to 18 months is lame. That's how they get a lot of their money. They know a lot of people will quit before 18 months and have to pay back $4k. That's what I hate about these companies that train you to get your CDL.

But yeah, I've heard they changed it from 12 months to 18 months now; that's unfortunate.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Boy, that is a tough one. If you really want to become a driver, they aren't the worst company to work for. I put in 7 years with them and, up until toward the end with a new STL (boss), they always treated me fairly. Like my employer, they have a huge freight base so miles aren't a problem. But I have to warn you, despite what they tell you, getting home isn't a top priority. That is the reason I finally walked...

My wife decided she wanted to ride with me. Soon she wanted to become a driver so SNC trained her in Montebello CA. So we started teaming and after about 6 months we fell victim to one of the hazards they don't warn you about when your spouse is with you full time: she became pregnant. She quit a few months later but SNC never came after us for teh money. I stayed on a few more years but, as mentioned before, they would not get me home on time and it became a problem with having a baby so I walked.

Anyway, I don't want this to be about me. Thought I'd share. SNC isn't that bad of a company. I liked them until getting home became a major issue.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Rookie
Default 18 month

I beileve that only applys to people in tx I dont know the reason for this but I have seen this brought up before. I think that is strange as well.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:13 AM

I went to Sage and paid a little over 4000. So what if you end up quitting. Get another job and pay it back. At least you will get your schooling.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Forget the company-sponsored grist mills. Check out your local community college or state-funded vo-tech program. You'll get a much better bang for your buck and you won't owe your soul to the company store afterwards. Better yet, no slaving away for a year under the thumb of some Captain Ahab/Stapler Guy dispatcher.

You'll be free to chart your own destiny along the Highpay Highway. That in itself is it's own reward!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 AM
Rookie
Default schneider

I was accepted at schneider also and thought it was a good idea until I researched a little more... Willis shaw express offered to send me to school for 2500/one year contract would be forgiven. I decided on Maverick Transport instead I want to give flat bedding a try...also crst malone ,and several others have same plan...just keep looking and keep your eyes open its your money and time not theirs you dont have to give it away if you dont want to....wonderman
Old 07-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315
Schneider seems to be a good training company. But raising it to 18 months is lame. That's how they get a lot of their money. They know a lot of people will quit before 18 months and have to pay back $4k. That's what I hate about these companies that train you to get your CDL.

But yeah, I've heard they changed it from 12 months to 18 months now; that's unfortunate.
That is Not how they get "Alot" of their Money.
so what would you like-Free training and then Skip out?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315

That is Not how they get "Alot" of their Money.
so what would you like-Free training and then Skip out?
Why else would they raise it to 18 months? They know people quit before 12 months. Therefore people will have to pay back $4k plus interest. I assume Schneider is making a lot of money off of those training contracts. I rememebr reading about it several months ago on pumpkindriver.com - But if I was going to commit to something, then i'd try my best to stick with it; and no I wouldn't expect free training. But it cost about $2k or so to train one person to get their CDL. Yet they ask them to pay back over $4-5k. So for every person who washes out, they make around $2k. And I bet a lot wash out. I would love to see their statistics
Old 07-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Board Icon

I drove for Schneider when the Old Man was still there and Schneider has more than enough freight to haul and enough trucks to haul it and "Making money" from training people is the furthest thing in their minds.
By the way, training is free is you actually fullfill your committment to them. If somebody quits it's their own tough luck.