User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 04:09 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I drove for Schneider when the Old Man was still there and Schneider has more than enough freight to haul and enough trucks to haul it and "Making money" from training people is the furthest thing in their minds.
By the way, training is free is you actually fullfill your committment to them. If somebody quits it's their own tough luck.
Yes, tough luck indeed. I'm not knocking Schneider. But if that is the reason they are making it 18 months instead of 12, then people better think real hard about joining them and accepting their free training.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Rookie

I cannot qualify for ANY tuition assistance around here. Believe me, I have been trying for over a month. My options are limited here. No matter what the "reason", I keep getting turned down. I would LOVE to go to my local community college training, but it doesn't matter if its $5 or $5000.00. If you don't have it, you don't have it!!!! All that government money you think is out there to help you in rough times is just a scam. So far all I've seen is a bunch of pencil pushers who have no intention of getting you any help.
Unfortunatley, I'm a healthy, non-drug addicted, non-alchoholic. I don't have 4 kids out of wedlock by 4 different fathers/mothers. I have NO service related disabilities. I can actually read and write. Should I go on. I"m just one of the dummies who's worked hard, paid taxes, and kept my nose clean. THAT my freinds, qualifies you for "diddly-squat" in the modern world.
SSOOO, The ONLY option left is carrier sponsored. I actually was prepared to sign with Schneider, ( I don't mind the commit, I don't mind paying my dues to get into the industry) BUT, 18 months seems excessive to me.
In my world, if you are a company that is even close to what your recruitment literature say's, you wouldn't NEED to have a 18 month commit. To me thats a BIG red flag. MOST drivers will stay with you if you treat them like you SAY you will. I know that MOST Drivers just want to be treated FAIRLY. If anyone is actually paying attention, you can pretty much figure out the decent companies on these boards. I'm not a driver yet, but even I can figure out who the best companies to work for are!!!
Any suggestions for carrier sponsored traing for someone in central texas?

"ALL THE WAY" 8)
Old 07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

are you a Vet? If so contact a VA Rep.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Rookie

I have talked to 5 different vet reps in different agencies. SUPPOSEDLY there is NO vet funding in this area unless I am 20% service related disabled. Then on top of that the vet funding at the school is SUPPOSEDLY only for people who entered the service FROM texas. I entered from California (but don't tell anybody). ACCORDING TO THE SCHOOL, thats the only way I can get Vet funding here.
If I could get vet funding at another school I would be more than happy to do it, but I haven't located them yet. I have lived in Texas since '93

"ALL THE WAY" 8)
Old 07-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Board Regular

If you resided in California you wouldn't have to pay a single cent for training, and no contract, at Schneider. By Calirfornia law, Schneider can't charge you or make you sign a contract. So if you have family there or something, maybe that is an option for you. Other than that, If I had to choose another company that sponsors training, it'd be Millis or Maverick. Maverick is strictly flatbed though.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Default 18 Month Commitment

Did you ask about the 18 months at pumpkindriver.com? Don't get state and federal (VA) veterans education benefits confused. Tuition reimbursement is paid by the first company you go with after school. BOL
Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Rookie

As I said before This was the first I had heard of the 18 months. I did not see anywhere on their site that said anything BUT 12 months. I even made her repeat it.
AGAIN, IN MY AREA, there are ONLY 2 options for vets to cover financing. I was told by one vet rep that federal funding was un-available due to "lack of funding" for the program and that they pulled out of this area. I can only relay what they have told me, several times.

"ALL THE WAY" 8)
Old 07-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by takaratay
I have talked to 5 different vet reps in different agencies. SUPPOSEDLY there is NO vet funding in this area unless I am 20% service related disabled. Then on top of that the vet funding at the school is SUPPOSEDLY only for people who entered the service FROM texas. I entered from California (but don't tell anybody). ACCORDING TO THE SCHOOL, thats the only way I can get Vet funding here.
If I could get vet funding at another school I would be more than happy to do it, but I haven't located them yet. I have lived in Texas since '93

"ALL THE WAY" 8)
whoever told you that VA funding for that particular school in Texas and them telling you funding is only available IF you entered the Military FROM Texas is full of (*)_
If you're close to a VA Hospital each hospital has a VA Rep and Service Officers from American Legion, VFW, VVA, etc etc.
Talk to one of these guys or call them.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Rookie

Many states offer specific benefits for veterans that are natives of that state. In order to qualify the home of record on your DD-214 must have an in-state address. In this case, the Texas program Takaratay probably referred to is the Hazlewood program. This program helps Texas veterans who have run out of regular V.A. benefits. It may be used in other ways as well for all I know.
Takaratay, I start my CDL training on Monday at the Weatherford College Driving Academy located in Mineral Wells, Tx. from what I'm told, the school allows one student per class to enroll under the Hazlewood program, and no, I'm not a Texas native (Thank GOD!) so I don't qualify for it either. I have the cash but I'm still looking at applying for regular V.A. educational benefits since I have some of it left.
Takaratay, since I don't know exactly where you live or what your requirements are for a job It's hard to recommend alternatives to Schneider. I can say that a few companies use Weatherford College to train their drivers here in the DFW area. The commitment with these companies is probably 12 months. Drop me a P.M. if you would like info on what companies will pay for your training here.

Yoopr! By the way, I'm a proud native of the great State of Michigan...a proud Michigander! Even though I am an apple knocker/Troll :wink:

Dana
Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Rookie

I know they're probably full of s***. But I could not even get the application from the school, because as I said. I was told at the SCHOOL FUNDING OFFICE that I don't qualify for vet funding because I did not enter the military FROM Texas. They wouldn't even give me the application. I HAVE BEEN seeking other vet avenues, but with no success.
I have been in contact with other LOCAL vet services. GOD FORBID they should all be from one place/agency. The closest vet hospital is in temple, about 90 miles from here