User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Theres something hidden here.

If you want to go to school for something there is always a way to do it! Dont sell your soul to any company!

If you are married and have kids you should get a Pell Grant, and finance the rest. its that easy. have you actually gone to a CDL school and sit down and try to figure something out?

I heard the word pencil pusher, but you need to talk to a Financial aid person. THEY WILL HELP YOU!

If that fails then save some $$ and go down to Joe and Franks Truck driving school down under the bridge somewhere. get your CDL, and learn the rest from the wonderfull drivers out there on the road.

Its cool how a good attitude on the CB will get you a lot of information.
If I hear someone honestly and properly asking for help on the CB. I always am honest and try to help them the best I can...... TRY TRY TRY If you really want to drive? DO IT!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by takaratay
I know they're probably full of s***. But I could not even get the application from the school, because as I said. I was told at the SCHOOL FUNDING OFFICE that I don't qualify for vet funding because I did not enter the military FROM Texas. They wouldn't even give me the application. I HAVE BEEN seeking other vet avenues, but with no success.
I have been in contact with other LOCAL vet services. GOD FORBID they should all be from one place/agency. The closest vet hospital is in temple, about 90 miles from here
just call service officer from vfw-legion-vva-dav-they give you services at no cost to you.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Rookie

I wouldnt worry much about Schneider. I dont know anything about trucking as I am a newb as well. But Schneider was one of the companies on my list to call.

When I applied, they offered me a dedicated walmart run out of Louisville,Ky. Guaranteed 2700 miles a week and home every weekend. Paid training, with a 12 month contract. Schneider doesnt seem to have a track record of lying to recruits and this is by far the sweetest deal I have heard from any company. Probably where I will end up.

18months seems like a while, But reading around here and doing my research. I have not found many people who have had alot of trouble filling that commit with Schneider.

BOL
Old 07-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
just call service officer from vfw-legion-vva-dav-they give you services at no cost to you

Thanks!!!! Yoopr

Also Thanks to Drakmare. Yes, IF you get a good run/ runs, that would be a sweet deal. BUT IF NOT, 18 months would be a nightmare.

" ALL THE WAY" 8)
Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Get with a school that is VA approved. Then go to the VA website and look under education benefits for the GI bill. You can apply online for your GI Bill benefits. That is of course if you paid your $1200 the first year in the service and you have not been out for more than 10 years or have not used all of it already. Central Texas College in Killeen has a driver training program. There are a few more schools around Texas. You have Tri-State in Prairie Hill, Cowtown in Ft Worth. If you are looking for a company sponsored program, Willis Shaw has a very good program. The will send you to Drumwright, OK for training and put you with a trainer for 10000 miles at (used to be) $350 per week. They are a good driver friendly company. I drove for them before I came back into the service, and I got good miles.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Rookie

As to the 18 month deal, I spoke with Schneider a couple of weeks ago and was told the 18 month obligation was for their bulk division training in Dallas. If I wanted the dry van training (in Charlotte), it was only a 12 month hitch.

Makin' magic in a One-Stack-Mack-With-A-Window-In -Back:thumbsup:
Old 08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakmare

When I applied, they offered me a dedicated walmart run out of Louisville,Ky. Guaranteed 2700 miles a week and home every weekend. Paid training, with a 12 month contract. Schneider doesnt seem to have a track record of lying to recruits and this is by far the sweetest deal I have heard from any company. Probably where I will end up.

BOL
Danger Will Robinson! Danger! BS Levels rising. Its either a difficult account that no experienced driver wants or it is classic bait-n-switch.

It could be OK thought, my experience delivering locally to Wally World here in Reno has been good; but I'm LTL.

Read the fine print on the contract, Caveat Emptor. I know Swift has some Dollar Tree or Dollar General Accounts that involve hand unloading entire trailers and difficult backing into busy parking lots.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Try your local employment office for school funding. Here in Florida they will send you to truckdriving school(or any other tech school) if you are unemployed.
There is also another agency in Orlando, Fl that I used to go to school called Lifestrides. They assist people who have stayed in shelters such as the Salvation Army. They paid for me to go to a state school($18,00), the only thing I had to pay was the books and license.
In Florida there is also an agency called Voc Rehab. You have to have a disability in order to use them.(you can tell them you're a druggy or alcoholic). They take a long time to approve you but they pay for everything.
In Florida I guess they help you more than they do in the state of Texas. MOVE.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Rookie

I looked into Schneider and when they said 18 months I changed my mind.

Roel has a paid school and training. They are out of WI, and are hiring out of Texas. I called them but the guy I talked to was a bit of an ass. He was not the guy who handles the training part though...I think I have heard good comments about him on the board.

I have also been looking for funding ...it's not easy. Looks like I'm gonna have to get the high rate financing for Roadmaster and then get a job and refinance it at a lower rate.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Central Ref

Have you looked at Central Refrigerated? I'm in their school now. The school is in Dallas. You start on Monday of week one and end on Saturday of week two. Then you go to orientation on Monday of week three for three days. Then you will go out with a trainer for 28 days. They will then assign you a truck and send you home for 4-5 days before your first dispatch.

Central will pay for 1800 of 3000 for school and will payroll deduct $100 a month for 12 months. They pay $150 a month for 12 months. If you leave before the 12 month mark whatever has been paid by you and the company goes towards your balance. They are not like Schneider or others that hold you for the full amount should you leave 1 day short of your contract end date.

The classes are also smaller. I saw the Schneider class at the DPS office when we took our CDL written. They had about 30+ students compared to our 11.