LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have some May questions.

Do they pay practical miles?
Do they deliver to NYC?
How many miles do the Reefers avg a week.
It sounds like the avg length of haul is over 800 miles.

Thanks! This has been a very informative post.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWOOD

Do they deliver to NYC?

I don't know which mileage system they used. I never bothered with stuff like that. www.maytrucking.com might have the answer for you. Yes, I like working as much as possible for as little pay as possible... :roll:

I never delivered to NYC proper, although I picked up a double pick in Brooklyn. I delivered to Long Island 2 or 3 times in 6 months.

I averaged 10k-13k per month.

The average LOH is quite near 1000 miles. Everytime I left Brooks after time off, I went to the east coast. Cape Cod, SC, Pensacola, Long Island, etc. Great loads leaving the yard and then a couple to get back home. Almost always to Denver or Salt Lake, then to Portland or Brooks.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

They pay HHG miles.... from what I have gathered from the May drivers around here.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Sorry that I did not update this thread last week. I had some major stress last week and became unsure of what would become of my husband's employment status with May Trucking Company.

On his first night out he missed the truck-stop so he took the next exit. When he got off the off ramp he knew immediately that it was a mistake as the street was very narrow. He saw a parking lot that he believed was large enough that he could get turned around. By this time it was night and dark out. The parking lot he turned into was dimly lit. Once he turned in he knew he was in real trouble as there was quite a bit of landscaping in the parking lot...lights... trees. So my husband did the NOT SMART THING!!! He attempted to get out on his own and took out a tree and a light in parking lot! He put a dent and a few scratches on the trailer. His advice to newbies call dispatch do not attempt it on your own if you are uncertain! It is better to feel silly and/or a little embarrassment rather than take out a light and a tree.

Some guy came over and helped him by guiding him out. He had planned on going back in the morning and giving them the insurance and other information as no one was in the building. He said he was pretty shaken up at the time. Another big mistake he made was not calling dispatch immediately and informing them.

In the middle of the night he got a call from dispatch as it turned out the guy who came over was a security guard and he did not identify himself or else my husband would have given him the information.

So Wednesday morning my husband was down at the police office. They will be sending him to tickets one for destruction of property and another for fleeing the scene. We have not received them as of yet.

He asked about his job and was told that more than likely when he was routed up to Brooks the next time he would get written up and a warning. They told him they have a three strikes policy there.

Well we also knew that if they were going to terminate him they would tell him in person and not over the phone. We figured that they would route him up to Brooks and tell him then and there.

The next load he got routed was for Brooks but this was due the next day and it was late afternoon on Thursday. This load was due in the morning so they canceled on him. But both of us were very very concerned at this point.

So then he got a load up to the Payette Idaho terminal. We felt a little better that it was not Brooks but still knew that they could have taken the truck at this terminal also. Once he arrived at the Payette terminal on Friday he got routed up to Lewiston Idaho. We were so very relieved and thanked the Lord that he still had a job! Allot of prayers were said.

The load he got Friday was not due into Lewiston until Tuesday (tomorrow morning) so he called and confirmed that this was suppose to be the load to get him home. Although we are a couple hundred miles past Lewiston.

Dispatch confirmed that he could come home. He planned on heading home early Saturday morning up highway 95 but his weight restriction permit for Idaho had expired. So he spent much of the morning attempting to get a permit. He finally got a temporary permit.

And so he arrived home Saturday around 4:00 after being gone for a month. As you can imagine the kids were very happy to see Dad as I was also.

First thing upon arriving at home he got changed and put a shovel in his hand and starting digging to help find a water leak. We got that all taken care of around 8:00 at night.

Sunday we spent almost all day at the fair. Our son is fourteen and next month will be fifteen. He wanted to work and help take down the rides for $8.00 an hour to make some money. I know sometimes Carnival people are not the best for a 14 year old to be around. And I know some of them are nice and good people. But our son being 14 and not knowing problems and how people can be at times, my husband decided he would sign up to work and get a few dollars and keep an eye on our son.

We asked more than once if they could only work two or three hours and we were told no problem.

My son and husband broke down the bumper car ride and had it pretty much all completed. My husband said those cars were about 600 lbs a piece. It was 11:30 p.m. and they told them they were going to have to leave.

By this time I decided to go down and check out what was going on as I had called and did not get a call back.

As I got to the gas station my husband called me and told me they were going home and that the guy refused to pay them until morning unless they stayed until the end about 2:00 a.m.

At this point I was extremely irritated by the guy and proceeded down to the fair with my 10 year old in her pajamas and slippers and my 7 year old still in shorts from the hot day at the fair.

I first confronted the guy and told him my husband and fourteen year old son worked and I wanted their pay. He looked at told me no legally he had to be eighteen to work pulling down the rides. I told him well he did the work and he was fourteen.
He was rude and said they should have stayed and that my husband could come back for the money at 9 in the morning. I guess the guy thought I was born yesterday as I knew they would pull out before then.

I told him we had asked and there was no way we would have done it had we known they had to stay until the end. He told me to get the girls out of the construction area. They were safe were we were. I told him to call the police.

I told him I would not leave without the pay. He said fine if you want to stay until the end.

Around 12:15 in the morning the girls were cold so I told the guy I was going to drop my girls off and I would be back before 2 he told me they were almost done. He probably did not want me banging on the trailer at 2 in the morning. Around 12:30 my husband called after he finished showering and said he was coming down so I could take the girls home. And he would sit and wait for the money.

Just then the girl came out of the office and had me sign for the cash. She said $46.00. I told her they only worked four hours and it was suppose to be less. She said no just go ahead and take it. So I did!

It made me sad that the first time my son has worked for someone else other than pulling weeds at working at my mothers house that they had to be like that. They never asked how old he was and we were not told that he had to 18 until after the fact.

He looks much older than he is as he is about 6 feet tall 145 and has been growing his facial hair this summer just to see how far it grows out. He had to start shaving when he was ten.

Monday---My husband did some running around got all his stuff into the truck and then took off for Lewiston. He left around 3:30-4 p.m and is already there. He has another load to pick up tomorrow morning going to Lathrop, California. And he said sometimes they give a load then canceled and give him something else. So at this point he planning on the load to Lathrop it is approximately 871 miles (per map-quest) and is due on Thursday August 31.

On my husbands time home he got plenty of exercise.

May Trucking Company is a good company and we are very thankful that they have given my husband a second chance and he said he will not make that mistake ever again.

And so the adventure continues!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWOOD

Do they deliver to NYC?

May Trucking pays Rand McNally miles not as good as practical but better than HHG miles.

He did deliver in New York but not the city when he was with his trainer. I do not know if they actually do deliveries in the city or not and he will be in the 11 Western division now.

Most of the loads when he was with the trainer were over 800 miles.

I am glad that this is informative! Thank you for letting me know!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Damn.

Find him a truck stop book. If that doesn't work, have him call you each night and go to the websites for the truck stops to get the exact phone number and/or directions.

He can't be running into things. But you already know that.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheRoad
The crowd is getting restless Goin Fer It... .you better get in here and calm things down.
I do believe he is on home time right now so the last thing she is worried about is US. :wink:
I am back! Thanks again for your prayers and comfort in the pms durning our trying times.

Hubby headed out right after he pm'd you! He is in Lewiston now!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Damn.

Find him a truck stop book. If that doesn't work, have him call you each night and go to the websites for the truck stops to get the exact phone number and/or directions.

He took his laptop today :sad: man am I going to miss it. I am glad he will have it he has the Co-Pilot program and will put it on for the large vehicles.

We cannot afford the truck version at this time but this version has for RV's and other large vehicles. We went and got an inverter today so he is going to attempt to fire it up tonight and see how it works.

When he was with the trainer he did not take his breif case with the truck stop book. He has that also now! He only had the very basics when he left.

And yes, hitting things is NOT GOOD! We know that.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Damn.

This is also good advise Take your books to training even though your trainer will have one you will need it immediately once you are put in your own truck!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Damn.

Find him a truck stop book.
Oops! I need to correct myself as he does not have a truck stop book. He told me he was going to get one soon. I was referring to his truck atlas. I thought they had truck stops listed!

Goin Fer It's Wife