User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was scheduled for the 17th, but i had to reschedule my orientation. Im going for the 11 western to try and stay close to home. Starting pay is .32 a mile and .36 after 1 year. Colin do you know anything about the dry division, like miles and where they mostly run?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I'm off today to take that wonderful all day Greyhound "Express" bus ride down to Brooks, OR. lol. I start orientation tomorrow. I checked out the hotel online that they have me staying at and it an above average hotel, along the lines of a Red Roof Inn, Marriott, etc. The rooms have a frig., microwave and the hotel has a pool, workout room and serves continental breakfast in the mornings. While you are in orientation (which lasts three days) May takes care of breakfast and lunch and you furnish dinner for yourself. They also furnish a shuttle to and from the hotel. So, all in all, a nice start with a company. Tomorrow is where the rubber starts meeting the road. I'm sure the first day is going to consist of mostly paperwork. I do know that I have to take another DOT physical and some sort of a driving skills test, no big whoop! I'll post again when I have more info.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Board Regular

Good Luck! let me know how it goes, ill probly schedule for next monday and take a plane instead of a 22 hr bus ride. Are you goin with the Temp. division or Dry division?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

And so my husband journey begins. The wonderful Greyhound bus ride became extra special for him as they passed Kennewick Washington it was 108 out yesterday. And shortly after leaving Kennewick the air conditioning broke down. When they got to the Dalles they were given a choice to wait for three hours for another bus with air conditioning or continue riding in the sweat box in the sweltering heat. They decided to ride it out. To make things even more special there was an accident on the I-84 that stopped traffic for about an hour.

My husband called and asked me to call the hotel and let them know that he would arrive late. The recruiter had not made the reservation but the hotel said it was not a problem and booked him a room and put it on the May Trucking account.

When they arrived into Portland Oregon they were transferred to an air conditioned bus for the rest of the journey.

Once they arrived to the destination in Salem Oregon there was a yellow cab at the bus stop. This is the company that May Trucking had an account with. My husband an another person that went to the same school took the cab together to the hotel.

The room is very nice. It has a nice kitchenette and my husband has his own room. The hotel also has a pool, jacuzzi and a gym open twenty four hours.

Last night after the bus ride my husband just wanted to make some dinner and go to bed.

Today he will begin his three day orientation. I will be updating the progress and how things will be going for my husband on this board.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAtrukn
Good Luck! let me know how it goes, ill probly schedule for next monday and take a plane instead of a 22 hr bus ride. Are you goin with the Temp. division or Dry division?
My husband is going with the Dry division 11 western states. Husbands bus ride was supposed to be only 10 hours but it ended up to be 11 hours. Not fun at all! If we would have been in a different financial position we would have purchased a plane ticket also.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Day One of the Oreintation: The contintiental breakfast at the hotel was very good. Waffles, scrambled eggs and other things.

Today my husband filled out applications and various paper work. Then he took a pelimanary driving test. He tested in a Freightliner my husband said that the shifting is much tighter than in the school truck but he picked up on it quickly. The guy that gave him the test said he did just as well on the test as guys that he had tested before that have been driving for 15 years. He said he did very well and felt he was a fast learner.

Lunch was at a buffet. Good food!

After the driving test they went to pick up a van and allowed my husband and another newbie to take the van to the office for their DOT physical and for the urine test. They told them to just bring the van back in the morning.

So around 4:00 p.m. his day had ended. Now back at the hotel he is going to work out. Make dinner and chill and get ready for day 2 of his oreintation!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 PM

Good info Thanks, i go for orentation on 8-13 keep us posted.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclac
Good info Thanks, i go for orientation on 8-13 keep us posted.
Thank you for letting me know that someone is reading my updates on my husbands progress with the company. I will continue them! And best wishes to you on 8th! What office are you going out of?

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

The reason that you have not read anything on May Trucking is because it is now the latter part of July!!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Orientation
Day 2: Today there were only three people in orientation. One girl left this morning my husband does not know why. One guy is from Gorden and the other one is from my husbands school.

Today they went over Qualcom and reviewed some hazemat and safety procedures. They filled out more employment forms. They also covered log book procedures and they are very strict about log books. They reviewed the log books after they have been turned in at the end of the month. They are very big on running legal and keeping safe.

My husband got an official May Trucking hat and T-shirt today!

They have some homework tonight from the Federal Regulation book.

My husband was asked today why he did not want to go into the refer division. He told them for one thing he did not have hazemat and also he was interested in doing the 11 western states. He told them that he did pass his hazemat test but has not gotten finger printed and all. He was asked if he could have it in 90 days. He was told that the company would reimburse him.

They said for now they would run him on the dry van division. I am hoping that dry van division is busy and does not slow down in the winter months.

So far the drivers he spoke with average anywhere from 2600-3000 miles a week.

He was told today that the training will depend on how fast he picks things up. He may only have to train for two weeks. Standard training time is 28 days on average. He will get $500.00 a week while he is training and then he will start at .32 cpm. In six months this will go up to 34cpm and at nine months 35 cpm and in a year 36 cpm.

He will get $100.00 a month in tuition reimbursement. They will not lower his cpm for tuition reimbursement as some other companies do.

They took him to lunch today at a Chinese Buffet again he said the food was very good.

Back to the hotel and making his own dinner as they do not cover dinner.
Will cover last day of orientation tomorrow.

Goin Fer It's Wife