User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Have a Plan ..

One thing I do is to have a plan. If I miss an exit or a turn for some reason then I have a backup plan to where I feel comfortable getting back on course.

It is the impromptu "just use the next exit" decision that started the chain of events. I have gone 13 miles out of the way because I missed my exit.

Good Luck!!

BTW) I hit three things before I got a hang of this ... :wink:
Old 08-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Board Regular

I always look ahead before getting all of the way commited to a strange exit. Always leave yourself an out, and your husband will pick this up over time. Pretty soon it will be just like riding a bike and chewing gum at the same time.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:21 AM

I agree with Kintama, try to determine if you can make the exit to turn around. I too have found myself missing a certain exit and have driven up to 20 miles out of the way to make sure I have room to get back on. It gets easier with time when you know what to look for at an exit.

Also those little truckstop books are only about 4 bucks and they are a life saver. Stick with the small truckstops, most of the time they have parking when the big ones are full. Well worth the investment.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:44 AM
Board Regular

Sounds like i missed out on all the fun. Well my first load i got a flat after driving for an hour and had to sit for 6 hours to get fixed. couldnt make the load ontime so i drioped in the drop yard an took an empty to oakland around 130 an had to be there before 4 from woodland on a friday in heavy traffic, needless to say i was 30 min late an everybody went home. They said they load me monday this is friday at 8 at night. Dispatch tells me to sit till morning, i dont think so. So they run me back to the drop yard from where i started.
I pick up a loaded trailer friday night get to brooks saturday at 7pm load isnt do rill 10:30 monday so i ask if i can drop they say no, so i sat all weekend at the yard watchin tv. Delivered the load picked up another in WA then delivered that then back to brooks. Thats all i got for now so far not so good but whatever. everybody drive safe.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Well the load to Lathrop California was canceled by the shipper. My husband picked up a load down in Southern Idaho and took it to Portland, Oregon. I believe he going down to the Brooks Terminal tonight. They did not unload him until after 7:30 tonight. So today he has driver about 400 miles and then will do 50 to Brooks.

He received a message saying next time he was at Brooks he has to speak to the safety director. So in the morning that is where he will be :shock: .

I hope it all goes well for him. But since they have given him other loads I believe he still will have a job.

I will update tomorrow night!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Have a Plan ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
One thing I do is to have a plan. If I miss an exit or a turn for some reason then I have a backup plan to where I feel comfortable getting back on course.

It is the impromptu "just use the next exit" decision that started the chain of events. I have gone 13 miles out of the way because I missed my exit.

Good Luck!!

BTW) I hit three things before I got a hang of this ... :wink:
Thanks for sharing that! Sometimes being new you think you are the only one who messed up that bad.

Goin Fer It
Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
I always look ahead before getting all of the way commited to a strange exit. Always leave yourself an out, and your husband will pick this up over time. Pretty soon it will be just like riding a bike and chewing gum at the same time.
Thank you for the encouragement. I look forward to the day when it gets like riding a bike and chewing gum.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirednavysnipe
I agree with Kintama, try to determine if you can make the exit to turn around. I too have found myself missing a certain exit and have driven up to 20 miles out of the way to make sure I have room to get back on. It gets easier with time when you know what to look for at an exit.

Also those little truckstop books are only about 4 bucks and they are a life saver. Stick with the small truckstops, most of the time they have parking when the big ones are full. Well worth the investment.
I have passed yours and other's wisdom on from this thread to my husband this evening. I told him about the small truckstops. I know many times in the short time he has been on his own the truckstops have been full even last night by the time he got there.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAtrukn
Sounds like i missed out on all the fun. Well my first load i got a flat after driving for an hour and had to sit for 6 hours to get fixed. couldnt make the load ontime so i drioped in the drop yard an took an empty to oakland around 130 an had to be there before 4 from woodland on a friday in heavy traffic, needless to say i was 30 min late an everybody went home. They said they load me monday this is friday at 8 at night. Dispatch tells me to sit till morning, i dont think so. So they run me back to the drop yard from where i started.
I pick up a loaded trailer friday night get to brooks saturday at 7pm load isnt do rill 10:30 monday so i ask if i can drop they say no, so i sat all weekend at the yard watchin tv. Delivered the load picked up another in WA then delivered that then back to brooks. Thats all i got for now so far not so good but whatever. everybody drive safe.

It sounds like you had some of your own fun with your tire. You just did not have as much fun. How did May Trucking run you on the weekend with your trainer? I hope they do not go slow on the weekends all the time! I am sure that would get costly to them at $80.00 a day for layover and the trucks just sitting.

Are you still in Brooks? How many total miles have you gotten in the week? I hope they have allot more runs like you spoke about with your trainer.

My husband was in Woodland last week.

Thanks for your update!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Board Regular

I had like 2000, i ran into a couple other drivers i knew an they were all getting around 2500 a week. this was my first weekend sitting, that flat tire screwed my whole week up. I was suppose to have 1500 mile run but i couldnt do it do to the friggin tire. Plus my volvos been actin up. I heard John lowe talkin that he ordered 50 freightliner classics along with 200 pete 387's.