User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler View Post
In a nutshell, with no experience behind the wheel, you will be out for 6 weeks. The first four weeks you will share driving duties, but you will be the one driving the most. Unless its changed, the last 2 weeks you can team if your trainer feels comfortable. My cousin went to TMC with a few years otr, but no general flatbed(pulled flatbed, but with same freight all time). He went out for two weeks, did all driving, and just basically gained the securement experience.

This may have all changed by now, its been about 2.5 years since he went out.
I left them as a trainer April 2008. They had just changed it to 5 weeks for no experience. They will team you after 2 weeks. The time that the experienced guys take is really up to the trainer; at least 2 weeks. Pretty much the same I believe.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks von.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Rookie

My Question is should someone go to TMC or look for another Company?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Rookie

It depends on the person where he/she wants to go.We can say,it's one option for a company.They have qualifications and requirements needed so it comes out with many factors which to choose.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Decision time! Went and got my cdl's a couple of years ago, considered TMC but never went on the road. Had a pretty good job for 21 years making decent money in a factory,not very exciting but steady. found out last Friday they will be closing the plant as of March 31, 2010. 44 years old, too young to retire, too old to dig ditches, now I have to decide what I am going to do for an income. with the economy being what it is, how is the trucking industry looking? should I go OTR, or try to find another plant job? Decisions! Decisions!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Reb View Post
Decision time! Went and got my cdl's a couple of years ago, considered TMC but never went on the road. Had a pretty good job for 21 years making decent money in a factory,not very exciting but steady. found out last Friday they will be closing the plant as of March 31, 2010. 44 years old, too young to retire, too old to dig ditches, now I have to decide what I am going to do for an income. with the economy being what it is, how is the trucking industry looking? should I go OTR, or try to find another plant job? Decisions! Decisions!
that's your call, flip a coin? ask some questions specific to TMC and I'd be glad to answer them.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
that's your call, flip a coin? ask some questions specific to TMC and I'd be glad to answer them.
I would hope to take a little more technical approach than just flipping a coin. I have been studying TMC and the trucking industry as well as I can from the outside for a couple of years now. If I do decide to to over the road TMC is definitely where I want to start my career. I guess my question is with the economy being in the shape that it is in can I expect to make even close to what I was making in the plant. around $40,000 plus benefits? I know a lot of it depends on how hard you are willing to work and some of it depends on what area you are in (North Carolina) I would like to make what I can and be home on weekends, I;m not afraid of hard work never have been. I know trucking is a hard life, but you gotta do what you gotta do to make a living. jobs in my area are almost non existent so for me what it is looking like is relocate or drive a truck. Thanks for any advice I know these are tough times for everyone.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I would hope to take a little more technical approach than just flipping a coin. I have been studying TMC and the trucking industry as well as I can from the outside for a couple of years now. If I do decide to to over the road TMC is definitely where I want to start my career. I guess my question is with the economy being in the shape that it is in can I expect to make even close to what I was making in the plant. around $40,000 plus benefits? I know a lot of it depends on how hard you are willing to work and some of it depends on what area you are in (North Carolina) I would like to make what I can and be home on weekends, I;m not afraid of hard work never have been. I know trucking is a hard life, but you gotta do what you gotta do to make a living. jobs in my area are almost non existent so for me what it is looking like is relocate or drive a truck. Thanks for any advice I know these are tough times for everyone.
things have picked up, they are keeping me busy. lots of lumber in NC. I made a little over $40k my first full year with them. there is def potential for higher earnings in a good economy. my trainer made $78k in 2007 before things hit a wall.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 12-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Tough time to find out about your job. Sorry to hear it. About where in Western NC? Would give a better idea about companies if we know your location.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

I am sorry to hear about your job, Carolina Reb. Things are difficult in the trucking business right now. Hopefully, things will improve after the first of the year. You can still make a living, but may not make as much as a year ago. If I were you I would call some of the carriers to see how they are doing and how much you might be able to earn right now. Since you don't have current experience your options may be somewhat limited, but the only way to tell for sure is to get on the phone and start calling. Good luck.