User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedin
I'm wandering how you tell a 379 from a 378?
The easiest way is the hood. One (the 378) is slightly shorter and sloped and the other is longer an horizontally level from front to back.
Also the sleepers on the TMC 379's have windows and the 378's do not.
They are sometimes referred to as 379 long nosed and 379 short nosed.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by csramsey640
Hopefully I can add some insight. TMC buys thier trucks based on resale. THey are speced for an owner/op, and lets face it a yellow monster under the hood will sell. Cats are not the most $ for $ economical engine, not the best fuel mileage engine, they castrate them power wise, so its not that, and they let them go with aprox 375 on the clock, so its not longevity either. TMC does have a dealer license, through its connection to Allstate Pete.

But as Fred said, its hard not to have trouble when you have so many trucks, and every manufacturer is cutting corners. My dad has had his Freightliner since it was new, and most of the problems happened early on, it has 840k on the clock, and is running good. When I joined with TMC in Jan 07, I came over with almost 5 years experience. I started with a brand new shortnose (they are 378's, not 379's that they claim) I did have problems with it, but some was design(turbo came apart), and some was build (a/c lines misrouted) I put aprox 50k on it. I now switched over to a T800, because I hated the short nose sleeper layout.

I have yet to have any problems. I am on a dedicated account and yank a conestoga around. Years ago I worked for Ford, and saw numerous vehicles with some problems, and some that were great.

IF YOU THINK THESE TRUCKS ARE MADE TMC CHEAP, YOUR CRAZY!

Tmc has ran Freightliners, KW's, Pete's, and I believe a Volvo or two. Downtime costs money. Why would TMC want a bunch of broken down junk, because they spec cheap? The line keeps moving, and there isnt enough time to use a cheap part. besides if they are build cheap, Pete will have additional warranty claims, and i doubt they will take it in the rear since TMC so called wants a cheap truck.

This is America! A race to the bottom. Lets make it cheaper.

I do see some of the above "messes" and its not fun, but its part of the job. I sat in a broke down truck for 3 days waiting for a turbo, yet the same people bounced me 500 miles home when my dad had a heart attack. Give it time. Your only shooting yourself in the foot.

Winter is slow for flatbedding, its slow on dedicated for us too, but it gets much better, just give it time. If you feel your not getting anywhere with your fleet manager, and cant work it out, switch to another. BUT give it time, these guys that say they have had 3 FM's in a month, are usually thier own problem, the FM"s should have the right to "fire" them.
Well said and full of truths.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedin
I'm wandering how you tell a 379 from a 378?
The easiest way is the hood. One (the 378) is slightly shorter and sloped and the other is longer an horizontally level from front to back.
Also the sleepers on the TMC 379's have windows and the 378's do not.
They are sometimes referred to as 379 long nosed and 379 short nosed.
The 378 I believe had a fiberglass hood. The 379's use an aluminun hood. Hence all the rivets holding the hoods together.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 PM

I gotta say after a solid week dealing with truck problems I am rather pissed at this moment and time.I know its not tmc fault the 2nd truck has issues but they could have called and asked the company that picked it up to give it a once over or something.Once it turned into a problem and the week started to waste away they could have changed plans or some thing.To just leave me
at a dealer with out the truck to sleep in and no near by hotel or car rentals just seems wrong.I had a friend drive the 5 hours to pick me up at a cost to me for fuel and such.They cant seem to tell me what I will be paid if anything
for the week.I had what I felt was some bad luck but at this point its getting out of hand.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 PM

Hopefully all works out. If you cant get anywhere, ask for the next person in line, and dont assume they know the story. Im not sure who your talking to, but TMC does have the same "games" as every other company. I was told for a long time there were no openings on my dedicated account, and/or would never hear an answer. When I bypassed my fleet manager, I got answers and a new job title. Little behold there was an opening. Im not mad at her, because I ran well $$ for her, but she was looking out for her, by not lossing a good driver, and I was looking out for me. TMC's policy is that if you are not dispatched a load in 3 days, you recieve your daily average pay. I did when my turbo was down. They will repay for all rental fuel and personal fuel, send it in a large trip pack with a note. Under 3 days, its $50 a day, unless thats chaged or tailored to your specifics.

BTW, MrGrim the long nose they have in Lexington is up for sale, you can purchase if youd like...lol Its been there for a while now.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Under 3 days, its $50 a day,

Wow 50 bucs a day. Man I thought my company was bad at 150 a day and paid after 2 hrs for any reason.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:59 AM

I just put in an application at TMC. I know this is the slow time of the season, but are they still hiring drivers? What can I expect to earn during the slow period? btw I have 1 year and 6 mos. experience with vans.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 AM
Rookie

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gotta say after a solid week dealing with truck problems I am rather pissed at this moment and time.I know its not tmc fault the 2nd truck has issues but they could have called and asked the company that picked it up to give it a once over or something.Once it turned into a problem and the week started to waste away they could have changed plans or some thing.To just leave me
at a dealer with out the truck to sleep in and no near by hotel or car rentals just seems wrong.I had a friend drive the 5 hours to pick me up at a cost to me for fuel and such.They cant seem to tell me what I will be paid if anything
for the week.I had what I felt was some bad luck but at this point its getting out of hand.

mrgrim
I have been reading all your posts since you hired on at TMC and you have indeed been knocked around a bit. But if you really want to be a truck driver then try to look at what has happened to you in the last couple of weeks in a positive light. You are learning wright from the get go that things don't always go as planned, but how you respond to the problems that arise will determine how well you will do and also feel about your job.
I know hindsight has 20/20 vision but loooking back if you had it to do all over again what could you have done differently that may have changed the outcome of the last two weeks?
Would you still accept the first truck you were assigned? Or would you tell them you don't really want to except a truck in the shape that one was in? I know it can be difficult as a newbie to speak up but some times you have to. When you had the short in the bunk I would think that would have been the time to tell them you didn't want that truck.
All I am suggesting is to remember everything that has happened and learn from it. It will make you a better driver, most guys don't get a chance to learn about the bad stuff that can happen as quikly as you have, if you just try to take it in stride eventually the job will seem like a peace of cake once you get a decent ride.
As for being left out in the cold I don't blame you for being pissed.
I think I remember you saying you dad is or was a former Marine. We used to have a saying back in the day when the going gets tough the tough get going) that's not just a slogan, I'm sure your dad would tell you the same thing. Don't be shy about raising your voice if you are not being heard. Go up the chain of command until you get results. I'm sure there are people above your FM that are not aware of what has been going on.
I hope everything works out for you, I know alot of guys who would have quit last week if they were in your shoes. Give yourself a chance to get in a better truck and experience the job in a better light before you jump ship. That's just my thoughts and yes it's easy for someone to give advise when they haven't walked in your shoes.
Hang tough,
Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 AM

Well I do understand where tmc stands on alot of what has gone on.They did not tear up the truck and trailer and ditch it in WV.They also did not cause the computer and wire problems that have it at the dealer now.But just as they have to take care of the trucks they also have to look out for me.I think my FM is a bit of a bum and the team leader is not any better.But it may be that I have not gotten to know them yet and that will get better.I did tell them I did not want the 387 when I saw the shape it was in plus they had to jump it so I could take it.I tried to avoid it but they said it was this or nothing.When it broke down the first time I tried to get away from it but was told nothing could be done.What I did learn is why guys dont get things fixed.It seems a huge pain in the ass and as long as the truck runs screw it.Not that I would do that but I do see where they are coming from now.My trainer was in DM for the drivers issue meeting and he raised some hell on my behalf and was told by the big shots they were going to solve the problem so we shall see.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Glad to hear your trainer went to bat for you, after all he does have a vested interest in you.
One other thing. People at TMC read the postings here from time to time so I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't say to their face. The old saying the squeeky wheel gets the oil only works half the time, the other half it can work against you.
Try to keep a positive attitude and positive things will follow.
Good Luck.