User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JoePa

Still can't believe he is really done at PSU. Happy to see former players and even the lawyer of some of the victims coming to Joe's defense. The man did what he was legally required to do and yet he has become the main scapegoat while the actual witness who did absolutely nothing to intervene had gotten away scot free until Friday. The fans have turned on him now, he is suddenly in hiding due to threats against him. Not surprised by that, how could he live with himself knowing HE got JoePa fired by dragging him into it instead of going to the cops himself or intervening himself to stop it. He was 23-24 years old at the time, more than old enough to know what he saw and that it was wrong and should be stopped. He's a big boy as is, he could have easily walked in there and kicked Sandusky's tail and put an end to it right then 10 years ago. I hope PSU goes the next 20 years without a single win in football. For the loyalty Joe showed to them since the 60's, this is how they treated him when things got tough, c-ya. He IS/WAS Penn St. He was the only reason they were able to get recruits in the Mid 2000's after several piss poor years, come play for Paterno. He brought them back to contenders over the last 6 years even as he hit 80 years old. Joe and his wife have done so daggone much for the PSU campus. They have donated tons and tons of money.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
The man did what he was legally required to do and yet he has become the main scapegoat while the actual witness who did absolutely nothing to intervene had gotten away scot free until Friday.
Paterno should be holding the hands of the rest of them leading them to jail. McQuery has said he went to Paterno with what he saw. Regardless of how "descriptive" he was in his explanation to Paterno in what he saw, Paterno did what was "legally" required of him? Your kidding, right? What about "morally"? What about the kids? What a copout! What would you do if you saw someone in the shower with a 10yr old little boy? What would you do if someone told you they saw someone in the shower with a 10yr old little boy? Tell your boss, wash your hands of it and worry about your legacy? That doesn't raise a flag? He was having Anal sex with him for God's sake! What do you tell all of the "boy's" that have been affected by this?

Paterno has already said " in hindsight I wish I would have done more". That tells me he knew what was going on and you would never convince me otherwise. As long as an association they have had with each other you think Paterno didn't know what was going on? Have you read how long this has been going on? Have you seen the investigations that are going on in other states? Are you going to try to tell me they ALL didn't know what was going on. Have you seen how they tried to "hide" Sandusky but still keep him in the picture? The only thing Penn State and EVERYONE associated with them that knew about this was worried about was their precious reputations and legacies. Every single one of them, including Paterno, should rot in jail and I hope he does!

Paterno's a FRICKIN football coach, not a GOD! I don't care what he's done for the University. That's all out the window now. It's not an excuse for what HE let continue! "They" talk about how Paterno ran the place, not ANYBODY else. Well.....it's time to own up!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Board Icon

Yes, he did do what he was legally required to do in the state of PA for a University official. As for morally, not going to argue that point but it never should have gotten to Paterno. McQuery should have ended it himself and he failed, if anyone should have been fired it should have been him first. Instead he's suddenly been put on paid leave due to the backlash. If no backlash had happened he'd have been on the sidelines yesterday. Don't even bring up the whole, "federal whistleblower" act as protecting him from being fired. He's not covered by it because he wasn't the one who tipped off the feds, it was a victim of Sandusky who ended up going to the police first.

What I'm saying is, don't blame just Paterno, don't make him the bad guy or the scapegoat. He did not sexually molest those kids, Sandusky did it yet where he is in all of this? The media is focused on Paterno and stalking him night and day right now yet the actual guilty party is being left alone. All I see on ESPN is them stopping just short of calling Paterno a sexual predator. Go after McQuery who actually witnessed it yet did nothing. Go bug Sandusky, leave Paterno alone at this point. He's not involved with the federal investigation per the feds.

To me, Paterno's legacy is not ruined by this at all. Woody Hayes physically assaulted an opposing player on national TV and his legacy wasn't completely ruined, JoePa simply failed to act morally.

Looks like PSU isn't the only one with an issue of sexual assaults. The Citadel has suddenly announced that they have been quietly investigating their own case that wasn't brought to the attention of police right away either.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yes, he did do what he was legally required to do in the state of PA for a University official. As for morally, not going to argue that point but it never should have gotten to Paterno. McQuery should have ended it himself and he failed, if anyone should have been fired it should have been him first. Instead he's suddenly been put on paid leave due to the backlash. If no backlash had happened he'd have been on the sidelines yesterday. Don't even bring up the whole, "federal whistleblower" act as protecting him from being fired. He's not covered by it because he wasn't the one who tipped off the feds, it was a victim of Sandusky who ended up going to the police first.

What I'm saying is, don't blame just Paterno, don't make him the bad guy or the scapegoat. He did not sexually molest those kids, Sandusky did it yet where he is in all of this? The media is focused on Paterno and stalking him night and day right now yet the actual guilty party is being left alone. All I see on ESPN is them stopping just short of calling Paterno a sexual predator. Go after McQuery who actually witnessed it yet did nothing. Go bug Sandusky, leave Paterno alone at this point. He's not involved with the federal investigation per the feds.

To me, Paterno's legacy is not ruined by this at all. Woody Hayes physically assaulted an opposing player on national TV and his legacy wasn't completely ruined, JoePa simply failed to act morally.

Looks like PSU isn't the only one with an issue of sexual assaults. The Citadel has suddenly announced that they have been quietly investigating their own case that wasn't brought to the attention of police right away either.
My point was......I'm not protecting ANYBODY associated with this and I'm not blaming just Paterno. They are ALL culpable, and that especially includes Paterno. He could have stopped this a long time ago, along with several other people. Maybe it shouldn't have gotten as far as Paterno but it did and he did nothing beyond what was "legal" and washing his hands of it. As far as his legacy, maybe to folks like the ones who were standing outside his house the other night and the homers, it might be OK, but to me and NUMEROUS other sports fans around here anyway, he's DONE! I don't care what good he's done in the past, it's ALL been wiped away by this as far as myself and others are concerned.

Where is Sandusky? In jail the last time I saw him, just where the rest of them should be, including Paterno. I think if anybody tried to institute the whistleblower act there would be another riot.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I find it odd Mcqueery isnt fired. Could it be he was TOLD to just forget what he saw and WE will handle it? In this case "WE" had to include Paterno. He was invovlved in everything else but not this? So Joe either believes him or he doesnt. If he believes him, he did nothing more than report it? Continues to let Sandusky hang around and goes to rallies and such with him? Doesnt demand a police investigation? If he doesnt believe him them Mqueery's a liar but Joe keeps him around and promotes him? Doesnt pass my BS detector. There were just too many instances over the years. Paterno was avoiding a scandal and now has a bigger one. Sometimes these cases can be difficult to prove. He said she said. Witnesses change their mind and backout. High priced attorneys twist things around. Similar to date rape maybe. Paterno and the administration didnt want to get involved in something they werent sure of or how it would turn out so they kept covering it up. Now they are trying to keep what Mcqueery knows covered up too. The board voted Joe out unanimously. In 50 years he didnt make one friend that would stick with him? They know something we dont yet.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Board Icon

Snowman, Joe burned a lot of bridges with the Board of Trustees when they tried to coerce him out around 2004 and he fought tooth and nail to stay as the coach. That is why they were so quick to send him packing, they were just waiting for a good excuse.

Since we don't know what Joe was told and may never ever know what he was really told how can we hold this over him? Your exactly right in how hard these cases can be to prove. McQuery's own dad told him to forget what he saw and get out of the building ASAP. He didn't call the cops, he called his f-ing dad. He probably went to Joe and said he thought he saw something but he wasn't sure. All Joe can do is pass the word on that a grad asst saw something but isn't sure what he saw. WTF are you supposed to do with that? Even the police would laugh at you.

Rob, Sandusky is sitting at home currently, he's out on bail by a judge who worked with him at Second Mile. Second Mile is Sandusky's charity group for kids. It's going to get real ugly in the very near future with the details about to come out. Apparently this Sandusky guy was investigated as far back as the mid 90's by a DA who suddenly dropped off the face of the earth in 2005. That DA never acted on accusations back in the 90's to try and stop Sandusky's little fetish. Further details are suggesting that he and his charity were pimping kids out to rich donors. This is WAY beyond JoePa.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
He probably went to Joe and said he thought he saw something but he wasn't sure. All Joe can do is pass the word on that a grad asst saw something but isn't sure what he saw. WTF are you supposed to do with that? Even the police would laugh at you.

His memory got alot better at the Grand Jury hearing. If he said something more vague to Joe 10 years ago then why hasn't he been fired yet? Just doesnt add up. Not to mention the other allegations over the years. I think Joe and the whole administration knew alot more than what's been said.

I'm not a hater. I think Paterno's basically a good guy. He got dealt a raw deal and I dont think he played it right. In some ways its similar to Tressel but of course alot worse. Tressel didnt do anything wrong himself, someone tipped him off about tatoos and memorabilia, stuff that's not even illegal. These coaches at a top 20 university are under stress and pressure that we could never understand. Boosters, alumni, fans and administrators are ruthless. They all want to win so badly they cant stand it. Competition is fierce and even a guy who wants to play by the rules is faced with difficult choices. I feel horrible for Paterno. But I still think he played it wrong. He said so himself. "With the benefit of hindsight I wish I would have done more". I'll bet Tressel knows exactly what he means.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Board Icon

What upsets me is that the actual guilty party is not getting hated on, not getting slammed by the media blitz. The witness hasn't been punished in any way thus far. He is listed as on admin leave by the school, pish, he's in hiding from the lynch mob around State College. Paterno did nothing illegal and yet he's being strung up by ESPN and the rest of the media as the bad guy in this whole scandal. He's tried to make amends and get the media focused in the right direction, help the victims find closure, yet they won't follow his lead. They continue to hound him/stalk him like he's the man who was molesting these kids.

Tressel did do wrong, he lied to the Feds when they showed up in Columbus to investigate. He told the Feds that he knew nothing about what his players were being accused of only to have emails come out showing that he was indeed informed several times and told nobody about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What upsets me is that the actual guilty party is not getting hated on, not getting slammed by the media blitz. The witness hasn't been punished in any way thus far. He is listed as on admin leave by the school, pish, he's in hiding from the lynch mob around State College. Paterno did nothing illegal and yet he's being strung up by ESPN and the rest of the media as the bad guy in this whole scandal. He's tried to make amends and get the media focused in the right direction, help the victims find closure, yet they won't follow his lead. They continue to hound him/stalk him like he's the man who was molesting these kids.
I dont see the media slamming him. No one is name calling. I HAVE heard the media and everyone else slam Mcqueery. There's alot of questions being asked, as there should be. The school fired him. The school has not fired Mcqueery (I think this fact is intriguing). The media is simply covering the story.

Quote:
Tressel did do wrong, he lied to the Feds when they showed up in Columbus to investigate. He told the Feds that he knew nothing about what his players were being accused of only to have emails come out showing that he was indeed informed several times and told nobody about it.

Agreed but..."With the benefit of hindsight I wish I would have done more". ..Fast forward a few months and we'll see what JoePa knew...

Again, I like Paterno, who doesn't. It's hard to see our heroes not being who we think they are. We dont want it to be true. And I like Tressel too, he's a good man from a good local family. Tatoos and memorablilia, totally legal, as you like to say about Paterno. And dont think far worse isnt going on at every major university. Its all a big game they play with the NCAA.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Board Icon

Where's that "couch sitting observer" smilie??

I wanted to get into this after the first two posts. Y'all pretty much covered the 'camps' in this discussion.

I'll bet no one here can guess which 'camp' I supported.

Not that anyone would care. Nor should they. It would JUST be my opinion.