User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default NCAA Re-alignment

OU Regents are voting on moving to the Pac-12 on Monday. Problem is, who is going to be the 2nd team to join OU? Will that team come from the Big 12 or could it be a MWC team like newcomer Boise?

Syracuse and Pitt are asking to join the ACC. All 3 parties initially declined to comment but a source of this info is right in the middle of the talks. The ACC commented late last night to say that they haven't talked with anyone. This would be a huge basketball coop by the ACC, 'Cuse and Pitt are 2 of the current leaders of Big East basketball.

The next question is, who will be the 2nd team that the SEC adds if TAMU gets away from the Big 12? If the ACC adds both Pitt and 'Cuse, could VT be headed South? What about WVU? Nice Hatfield-McCoy battle with Kentucky could be in store and why wouldn't WVU leave the Big East? They would probably lose their BCS Auto-bid if Pitt and 'Cuse leave. They only have 8 teams as is, with the addition of TCU it's 9 teams. Can't see a 7 team conference deserving of an Auto-bid.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
OU Regents are voting on moving to the Pac-12 on Monday. Problem is, who is going to be the 2nd team to join OU? Will that team come from the Big 12 or could it be a MWC team like newcomer Boise?
Word around here is probably O-State. I've pretty much resigned myself to let the chips fall where they may. It all changes daily and it's making me tired so when and what they decide I'll go with it. I personally would like to see them in the SEC but they haven't asked for my opinion yet.:eek2:
Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Board Icon

Breaking news on Gameday is that Pitt and 'Cuse have officially approached the ACC about joining and have filed the necessary paperwork. Baylor and Iowa State have also come into the mix this morning. They have both talked with the Big East about moving in with TCU should OU and another unnamed team leave the Big 12 along with TAMU. It's starting to get really wild again.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Board Icon

TCU has basically gone on record and said they may renege on their entrance into the Big East next year if Pitt and 'Cuse leave. The AD told ESPN that he is very concerned with this latest development and how it affects their move into the Big East next year.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Board Icon

And now it looks like it's official, the ACC has apparently voted to allow Pitt to join them. An announcement is expected in the next few hours. The ACC just voted to approve expansion of the conference. No word on 'Cuse joining but all reports and sources say that Pitt did in fact send a letter seeking admittance into the ACC and this latest vote by the ACC says it's a done deal for Pitt. The ACC expects to bring in at least 2 new teams but it could be as many as 4-6. An ACC official admitted that as many as 10 teams have sent letters seeking admittance into the conference.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Board Icon

I'm glad you have been posting this. I can't keep up. I don't know who's going where. :lol:
Pitt and 'Cuse are going to ACC.
I've heard that OU is looking into Pac-however many it is. I would think that Ok State would join OU.
I don't know about ISU or Baylor. Maybe Conf USA? Who knows... :lol: :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Board Icon

Baylor and ISU are talking of jumping to the Big East but I think that may hinge on whether TCU decides to stay or not and how many more schools leave the Big East in the next week.

Apparently Texas and OU are supposed to make announcements this week on what their plans are for the future. Many suspect OU and OSU to the Pac-12. I'm hearing a crazy rumor that Texas is headed to the ACC. Makes no sense geographically but neither did TCU going to the Big East but the TV money would be huge with Longhorn Network joining the ACC Network/Jefferson Pilot Sports. The only question with Texas is, do they meet the standards of the ACC's academia or will the ACC give them a special waiver on that?

The ACC not only has a rumor of Texas joining but around here there is speculation that UConn is going to defect from the Big East and join the ACC as the 15th team. Also hearing Rutgers or WVU(longshot due to their academic's, considered poor compared to the ACC as a whole) as the 16th team if the Texas rumor is false. What's funny is the ACC was the first conference to broach the subject of "Super-Conference" and were somewhat laughed at yet here they are a few years later about to do just that.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

The latest as of today. It's changing EVERY day.

Oklahoma board of regents empower David Boren for possible move to Pac-12 - ESPN
Big East, Big 12 talking possible merger, report says - ESPN

I've even heard of TCU renegging on their deal if some of this stuff happens.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Board Icon

On Saturday while this was all going down as breaking news, I was thinking that the Big 12 and Big East would probably end up merging before this is all over with. Maybe they can work together to take over C-USA and therefore take that name for their Super-Conference. They would end up with 20 friggin teams if they pulled that off.

Hearing a funky report that Notre Dame may be interested in becoming a full member of the ACC. They are only a partial member in the Big East and the Big East has tried to get them to become a full member but ND refuses to take it's football program off Indy status. I don't put much stock into this report, just thought it was funny.

I'm believing Texas and Texas Tech head West with OU and OSU to the Pac-12 and make it the Pac-16.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't think ND would leave their lucrative contract with NBC and their independant status, stranger things have happened though.