User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

ND wouldn't leave the NBC contract, they would bring it with them just like with Texas. Wherever Texas ends up, their TV deal with ESPN will go with them. It's really smart to go after the 2 teams in the land with those national TV deal, ND and Texas. It's a guaranteed game every week on national TV for that conference along with any other games that ESPN picks up.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Board Icon

It would be strange to me, but the Big 12 and Big east might come together.. Seems like that would make somewhat sense, rather than all the schools going to who know where.
I could see Pitt and WV in the ACC. UCONN in the ACC?? Do they have a football team? :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Board Icon

UConn does have football, matter of fact, they won the Big East last year and played OU in the Fiesta Bowl where OU beat them like a red headed step child.

I think Pitt, VT and maybe UNC/Maryland will all push hard to invite WVU to the ACC along with Pitt. It would give both Pitt and VT a rivalry game back, The Backyard Brawl and The Black Diamond game. Rutgers is a good choice due to their location, it gives the ACC a team right there at the coveted NY market. Academics are pretty good.

Another report names Penn St as being a sleeper to join the ACC. Great academics, geographically it's wise, it also brings back the rivalry they had with Pitt before joining the Big Ten.

I would not be surprised if the ACC goes and adds another 4 teams to give them 18 total. Rutgers, UConn, PSU and WVU.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Board Member

The PAC-12 say's whooaaaa up there Nellie.....Now what? I read an article today in our local paper that OU's Pres is trying to save the BIG-12 now and one of the local sports guy's says WVU is going to make or brake us. I hadn't even heard them mentioned in anything until I read that. Like I said before, this is making me tired.

Pac-12 Conference decides it won't expand further - ESPN
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Board Icon

I was being funny.. They might do well in the ACC, who knows.

OU and Texas are trying to save it, and if they do, OU wants a new commissioner, and they want restrictions on the longhorn network.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Board Icon

OU also wants more revenue sharing but Texas refuses to give anyone anything when it comes to Longhorn TV. I don't believe the Big 12 is safe because of that.

Mizzou has received a standing offer to join the SEC but it hinges on what happens with WVU it seems. If the ACC doesn't add them then I suspect the SEC will yank the offer Mizzou has and give it to WVU. If WVU doesn't join then it will go back to Mizzou.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Tell me University's and their Pres's don't have any pull. Boren spoke and the next day this is happening. This could end up being the best thing for us. If we don't go to the SEC, I like this the best. I REALLY didn't want OU to go to the PAC-12. I saw another story where E.Carolina applied to join the Big East.

Dan Beebe working to leave job as Big 12 Conference commissioner, report says - ESPN
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Board Icon

The revenue sharing deal is going to be what makes or breaks the Big 12. OU and the rest of the Big 12 are still miles apart on that from Texas. It's Texas vs the Big 12 there. Texas has Longhorn TV giving them money and gets Big 12 revenue sharing money from Big 12 TV deals. OU and the rest feel that is BS and think that Texas should get nothing from the Big 12 revenue sharing since they went and got their own TV deal. Texas refuses to give up their share of Big 12 TV money which would be dispersed to the rest of the members evenly. I do agree with OU's viewpoint on this, you got your own separate TV deal so no way should you get any from the conference TV deal. Unless Texas budges, OU and OK St will bolt, possibly to the BE if the Pac-12 was serious on the "No." Remember this though, just because the Pac-12 said no to expansion doesn't mean they won't still do it. They said no to expansion and a few weeks later introduced Utah and Colorado to go from the Pac-10 to the Pac-12 2 years ago.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Well.....after all the posturing, threatening, and so on, OU decided to stay in the BIG-12:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: Stoops was on the radio this morning about it. Somebody is yanking somebody else's chain. I think it is the general public. What a joke the past couple of weeks has been. I'm happy they are staying but WHY go through all of this? I guess because whatever it was that they wanted they got. I don't know if it was Beebe leaving or what but something gave. Gave us something to talk about anyway:lol2:

Big 12 Conference, commissioner Dan Beebe reach 'mutual agreement' to part ways - ESPN
Big 12 presidents pledge to grant television rights, revenue to conference, according to Oklahoma president David Boren - ESPN
Old 09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Board Icon

They held a conference with all the remaining Big 12 presidents yesterday evening. I actually got to listen to Boren's press conference on the college sports channel.
From what I understood, the 9 remaining schools agreed to remain in the Big 12, and it sounded like they are going to try to invite other schools to join. I don't think they mentioned who they are inviting. Chuck Neinas, the former Big 8 commissioner is the interim commissioner, til they find one.

I'm glad they are deciding to try to keep the Big 12. I'm a traditionalist, and I was dreading the outcome of the Big 12. I didn't want the conference to disband. I understand things change, but my thing was, is that these schools/rivals have competed each other for years. I know there are other schools that have rivals from different conferences, but it wouldn't be the same. Maybe that makes sense..? I'm sure, over time, A&M will find a new rival in the SEC. I would imagine they would still have their annual rival with Texas. Don't know if it will still be on Thanksgiving, but look at Clemson/S Carolina, FSU/Florida etc..