User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or does OU look like they don't play with any passion? It seems to me it's been that way for while. They seem to get down really easy. I don't know if it's a reflection of their coach or not. He's not a real big rah, rah passionate kind of guy, on the sidelines anyway. He does a lot of hand clapping and stuff but I just don't see that "passion". Maybe it's just me. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I would just like to see more rah, rah. That was how his brother Mike is/was. By the way, I am a HUGE OU fan.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 AM

Bob Stoops has never been a real passionate guy. He doesn't even seem to get overly upset when they lose to OSU or the Horns. The most animated I can ever recall him getting was a loss to K State in the championship game several years back. Some of my good friends are OU fans and this attitude seems to upset them sometimes. :tears:

A neighbor of ours near Billings bought a 9770 with 250 hrs on it this spring and then turned my cousin loose in it this fall cutting a little corn. I was hauling out of the field for them cause they were paying 10 cents a bushel for a 6 mile run to the elevator and I couldn't turn that away. Anyway, long story short, with an 8 row head in 70-80 bushel corn we could run 6.4 to 7 mph. Its an awesome thing but all those computers are a pain.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I just think you need some good ole fashion passion to go with coaching, heck, even ole Mack Brown get's excited on the sideline. I know quarterbacking from the couch is a lot easier than it is from the sidelines but the play calling baffles me sometimes too.

Like I said, I'm a huge OU fan, but I haven't thought we have been as good as the hype would suggest for sometime now, especially our offensive line. I've never thought the Big 12 as a whole was up there with the SEC or PAC-10. Again......IMHO.

Last edited by robertt; 10-26-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Board Icon

Bob Stoops has always reminded me of Tom Landry. Good coach, but doesn't show a whole lot of emotion. I believe Stoops is also a good disciplinarian.
OU is young. They haven't been blowing everyone out, but enough talent, and determination to win their games. When they blew Florida St out of the tub, I figured OU was gonna run n gun. Then, they struggled to win the others. So I dunno.
Mack Brown is also a good coach. I've always liked him, but I've never been a Longhorn fan.
As far as the Big 12 goes, they've had some good teams, some good highly ranked teams at that, but I've never thought they were as tough as the SEC. Just ask last years' Texas team. Texas got exposed last year against Bama. Badly exposed!
The thing about the Big 12 is that they all have the high powered, spread offense. Problem is, there's really not a stout enough defense in the Big 12 that could compete with the smash it down your throat offense that the SEC runs. I always thought that OU and Nebraska has had the best defense in the Big 12.
Look at the head coaches in the Big 12. Most of the head coaches in the Big 12 are offensive minded coaches.

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 10-28-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 AM

I agree about Big 12 coaches being primarily offensive focused. Tom Osbourne and RC Slocum were the last two coaches that seemed to stress the importance of a stout defense. When Muschamp becomes the head man at Texas, I hope he stays focused on defense.

Now I wonder if Oregon and TCU can stay unbeaten and maybe the computers will let us see a Good offense vs a good defense in a major bowl game. We were possibly gonna see that last year until Colt got whacked.

I used to get kinda peeved at all the announcers and pundits always singing the praises of the SEC, and downing the Big 10 and MWC and the WAC, but The last 2 years or so have shown how good the SEC is from the top on down.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graintrain View Post
I agree about Big 12 coaches being primarily offensive focused. Tom Osbourne and RC Slocum were the last two coaches that seemed to stress the importance of a stout defense. When Muschamp becomes the head man at Texas, I hope he stays focused on defense.
Stoops was the defensive cooridinator at Florida when he was hired away by OU also.

After watching some of the games this past weekend, I can't see OU staying with any of the "big boy's". Oregon would embarass them, Auburn would just plain ole run over them, along with Bama. I think TCU and Boise would both beat them also. We have a LONG way to go to be "good".

I know Jones put up good numbers last week against Colorado, but he's going to have to prove to me, (like I'm somebody), that he can play under pressure. I think between A&M, Baylor, and OSU, OU might lose a couple of those if they don't straighten up, they are all on the road. I think they will beat Texas Tech at home though.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Board Icon

TT is a W for OU as is the game in College Station, A&M doesn't seem to be able to close games out or live up to the minor hype. I see a good game against OSU coming. Baylor is going to be interesting also. They have a D that bends but doesn't break and an O that can score from anywhere at any moment.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
TT is a W for OU as is the game in College Station, A&M doesn't seem to be able to close games out or live up to the minor hype. I see a good game against OSU coming. Baylor is going to be interesting also. They have a D that bends but doesn't break and an O that can score from anywhere at any moment.
A&M just kind of scares me because of Tannehill. He had a great game last saturday and has played good in the past when he's had the chance.

We'll see what kind of game OSU and Baylor have this saturday and maybe we will know a little more.

I see your in VA. I lived in Delaware for 20yrs and for some reason I was kind of a closet Cavalier fan. I think they have some of the best looking uniforms in college, helmets anyway, I like the colors and swords on them. I'm kind of a Blue Hen fan also. Great atmosphere at their stadium and I followed Joe Flacco's career there.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Board Icon

Man, UVA is in my backyard but I always root against them after the way they treated a former teammate of mine who played football there. He was recruited by George Welsh's staff and ended up being redshirted his Freshman year because in the words of Welsh, he would see more action the following year with 4 years still left. The next year, his RS Freshman season, he saw a little bit of action every now and then on kickoff teams. Following that year though Welsh called it a career, the new coach basically lost him on the depth charts as a RS Sophmore so after that year he walked away from the team. Ever since then I have always rooted against them and what made it worse was that he was the first D1 player from our school. Normally all our players that got recruited, it was D2 and lower, he was the first though at D1. Now most of our players end up at West Virginia because a former coach is an assistant there. We did have 1 give UVA a shot a year or two ago but he has since left the team also last I checked.

I do think UVA has one of the best sequence's in all of college football for running out onto the field. My wife thought her school, Miss St with the Bulldog Rock was cool until she saw UVA's in person. I'm a UNC fan and our's is horrible, comparing it to UVA's makes it that much more horrible. UNC's is about like what Miami has done for the longest of times except they pull the Victory Bell(trophy for beating Dook each year on the gridiron) out in front of the team.

UD has always been a hotbed for NFL talent that flies well under the radar. Didn't their best coach in school history retire not that long ago?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Man, UVA is in my backyard but I always root against them after the way they treated a former teammate of mine who played football there. He was recruited by George Welsh's staff and ended up being redshirted his Freshman year because in the words of Welsh, he would see more action the following year with 4 years still left. The next year, his RS Freshman season, he saw a little bit of action every now and then on kickoff teams. Following that year though Welsh called it a career, the new coach basically lost him on the depth charts as a RS Sophmore so after that year he walked away from the team. Ever since then I have always rooted against them and what made it worse was that he was the first D1 player from our school. Normally all our players that got recruited, it was D2 and lower, he was the first though at D1. Now most of our players end up at West Virginia because a former coach is an assistant there. We did have 1 give UVA a shot a year or two ago but he has since left the team also last I checked.

I do think UVA has one of the best sequence's in all of college football for running out onto the field. My wife thought her school, Miss St with the Bulldog Rock was cool until she saw UVA's in person. I'm a UNC fan and our's is horrible, comparing it to UVA's makes it that much more horrible. UNC's is about like what Miami has done for the longest of times except they pull the Victory Bell(trophy for beating Dook each year on the gridiron) out in front of the team.

UD has always been a hotbed for NFL talent that flies well under the radar. Didn't their best coach in school history retire not that long ago?
Tubby Raymond. I think he retired around '02. A buddy of mine, (Sam Pittman) is the offensive line coach at UNC. We played ball and went to school together here in OK. He was the offensive line coach at OU when John Blake was the head coach here and then he went to KU and then to Southern Illinois. When Butch Davis called I guess it was too good to turn down but they sure have a mess down there now. I haven't talked to him since he left SIU.

OU has a really neat entrance to the field intro. They have, I think, the 4th largest video screen in college football and what they do with it is really cool.