User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Football season!

It's already here!
What do yall think?? As far as the NFL goes, I don't know what to think.. I've never liked preseason. It's hard not to take the preseason games serious. You think, alright!! Or you think, man, we stink!! Sometimes, the teams look really good, and they don't play worth a flop in the regular season, and sometimes teams look terrible during the preseason, and end up in the Super Bowl. It usually takes a couple regular season games to work the bugs out.

Boise St and Virginia Tech was a good one. I didn't see it, but I listened to it on the radio..
Did yall see LSU and North Carolina? :hellno: That was a nail biter.
Last week, all the big boys played cupcakes, and for the most part, the cupcakes did pretty good :lol:. Florida looked like they were struggling a little against Miami OH.
I saw bits n pieces of the Texas/Rice game. Either Rice is gonna be good, or the Longhorns had a problem with a few bugs.
Utah St gave OU a run for their money. :lol:
Oregon beat, who was it, New Mexico? 70something to nothing??
Man! :hellno: :lol:

This week aughta be good. Miami at Ohio St. That will be a good one.
Florida St at OU.
Penn St at Alabama.

Football season is already here, but I'm glad it's here. :smokin:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Board Icon

No clue when it comes to the NFL, too many of the guys who end up cut play in preseason so you can never really get a good gauge for the season. I know Miami was what, 4-0 last year in the preseason and they missed the playoffs so it just goes to show that the preseason don't mean jack.

I was shocked at the Oregon score since the supposedly lost their top QB in Masoli due to his off the field problems. I figured they would win 40-10 or something but 72-0?

Surprised by my UNC boys and how they banded together in the 2nd half to rally back and have not 1 but 2 legit shots at winning the game going away from the 6 yard line. I figured with 8 starters missing on D that we would get hammered all night long. We got lucky by getting our 2 MLB's back Saturday morning and so that helped a ton.

Florida and Texas could be in for a rough year. Florida looked horrible against a team that was nearly dead last in all catergories last year and finished 1-11. A lot of it was self-inflicted but if they can't get those problems fixed they will lose more than 2 games. Same with Texas, Rice fought with them hard.

How about the big upset's, North Dakota St and Jacksonville St, both 1-AA teams beat the big boys at the big boys house. Kansas lost to Dakota St and Ole Miss lost to Jacksonville.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of the games this week, but the Vols did very well under this new coach. 50-0. It wasn't a strong opposition team, but a win is a win. This one was a shutout. Hopefully, they will keep the momentum going. The next two games will give a better feel of what we can expect the rest of the season. Oregon comes up this week with Florida being scheduled for next week.

I don't like cold weather, but I do enjoy college football. I don't care much for the pro's. Why can't we have football when the weather is more temperate?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Board Icon

I like Mid-October to early November for football, especially when it's in Chapel Hill, NC amongst the pine trees and oaks at Kenan Stadium. I only like cold weather football when it's snowing, when it's just blustery cold I hate it. Hated it when I was playing also because you had no way of staying warm. Now they have pads you can cool or heat as needed but not 10-15 years ago, the players would have to suffer.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Board Icon

GMAN, some of the games that I remembered most were the coldest games. :lol:
I'm not from Tennessee, and I've never been a fan of Tennessee, but I've always liked to watch them. Does that make sense?? I like their traditions, and it seems like it's always a good game when they play at home, at night.
Personally, I think Tennessee has the best fight song. You can hear the whole crowd sing, "Rocky Top, you'll always be... home sweet home to me... good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee."
GMAN, Tennessee played a cupcake, but it is a win. Confidence builder.
I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan all my life. My dad, and his family have been Cowboys fans since they started. But, I've never gotten into other pro teams.

Mr. Ford, I forgot about Kansas and Ole Miss getting beat. :lol: That's what I love about college football; anything can happen!
You brought up a good point on the preseason. I remember in 1988, I think, (Tom Landry's last season) the Cowboys won every preseason game. They won only 1 game in the regular season, and that was against their rival, the Redskins. I watch the preseason, if I can, but I don't live by it. The Cowboys first team offense looks terrible, but it's preseason. :lol:

Watching College Game Day, it's funny how it's warm at the beginning, and later on, the guys have their heavy coats on. Sometimes, they are indoors, it's so bad.
I like watching games when it's snowing.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Tennessee does have a lot of tradition, Jackrabbit. We have over 200 years of them. The University of Tennessee is one of the oldest universities in the nation. It was founded in 1794. That makes for a lot of tradition. There is nothing like being at Neyland Stadium with 106,000 of screaming fans. It is a stadium of orange at game time. I miss going to the games. I used to get season tickets until my wife's health got worse and I started traveling more. It is something to be at the stadium when they start singing "Rocky Top." I remember when I was still in Junior High School many of my classmates would go with their families to Knoxville for the games. They made a family outing on game day. Traditions start early.

The next couple of weeks should be more challenging. I believe we play Oregon on Saturday and Florida next week. Tennessee has gotten off to a good start with their win last week, even though it was not a major team. Like you said, it is a good confidence builder. Hopefully, this new coach will be able to at least get the team back into the top 10. It has been rare that Tennessee has not at least been in the top 10. Of course, win, lose or draw, fans still come out to support the Vols.

The cowboys are one of the few pro teams that I enjoy watching. I still remember Tom Landry and that signature hat he always seem to wear. In fact, I don't remember a time when I saw him without his hat. He was a real gentleman and a great coach. He and my father in law were friends. I still miss seeing him on the sidelines. Nothing seemed to rattle him.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Board Icon

Outside of Ohio St, I'd say Tennessee has the best fans around. They live and die with their team but they will not jump ship, they will still support Big Orange through thick and thin.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Board Icon

Texas A&M fans are also very faithful. A&M also has a lot of old traditions. Aggies are funny! They may not win a game, but according to the fans, they are going all the way! :lol:

I felt bad for Philip Fulmer, GMAN. One losing season in, what, 15 years (I can't remember how long he was there) and they fired him. Maybe there was more to it than I know. I was shocked when he got fired.

When I was a kid, I always thought Tom Landry was mad all the time. It seems like he didn't show much emotion. I just wished Jerry Jones would have given Coach Landry another year with Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman. Anyway, it's in the past...
Tom Landry is one of the members of the Ring of Honor at Cowboys Stadium. There is a fedora hat beside his name. :thumbsup:

Old 09-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Texas A&M fans are also very faithful. A&M also has a lot of old traditions. Aggies are funny! They may not win a game, but according to the fans, they are going all the way! :lol:

I felt bad for Philip Fulmer, GMAN. One losing season in, what, 15 years (I can't remember how long he was there) and they fired him. Maybe there was more to it than I know. I was shocked when he got fired.

When I was a kid, I always thought Tom Landry was mad all the time. It seems like he didn't show much emotion. I just wished Jerry Jones would have given Coach Landry another year with Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman. Anyway, it's in the past...
Tom Landry is one of the members of the Ring of Honor at Cowboys Stadium. There is a fedora hat beside his name. :thumbsup:

My wife had a neighbor who was an Aggie. He actually had their war song for a door bell.

Yea, I really felt that Phillip Fulmer got a raw deal. He played football at Tennessee and went to work for the team. He worked his way up the ladder to be the head football coach. I don't think that he has had another job other than in the UT athletic department. The alumni association has not been happy with his performance for the last 2 or 3 years. They are used to having a winning team. Fulmer seemed to have lost heart the last couple of years. It is such a shame. I would have like for him to at least gone out with a winning season. He won't have to worry about money, but I don't think he was in it for the money. He just loved the game and UT. He and Bobby Bowden of Florida State were two of my all time favorite coaches. Both had an easy manner and NEVER criticized the other team. You never heard him say anything negative about his team or that of his competitor. He always had positive things to say about people. It was unusual for a college coach. Bobby Bowden was the same way.

I am glad to hear that about Tom Landry, but I would also have liked for them to have kept him for a while longer. Funny how some people just stick out in your mind.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
My wife had a neighbor who was an Aggie. He actually had their war song for a door bell.
:hellno:
That's crazy. I can't quote the lyrics of the song, but it sure shows that they aren't too fond of the Univeristy of Texas. :lol:

On a side note, I'm watching Houston and UTEP play, and Houston ran a beautiful Statue of Liberty play. Man, it was pretty!