User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree that some will try to abuse anything. I just gave a basic I idea that I have heard variations of such as the card could allow Alaskan hours etc. I think there should be safeguards of some kind in place if anything like that would ever be considered.

You might give me a label, but my safety record should count for something. I have 3 million miles without a logbook ticket. I have never gotten one and I have been DOT'd 6 or 7 times in just the past year. I had one companies safety guy give my log sheets to an auditor when he asked for 2 more drivers sheets to finish up because he knew mine would be good. The safety guy told me this. I haven't had any tickets of any kind for over 20 years. The only accidents I have had was backing and that was 20 some years ago also. I have hit 3 deer with little to no damage each time, but I don't count that against anyone.

I am one of the slowpokes in construction, school, etc zones. I always have traffic backed up if there is only one lane open for very far. I will drive the speed limit. Everyone else wants to keep the pedal on the floor.

I am also a stickler on load securement. I have been complimented on my securement on different occasions. Right now I have 3 coils/31,000 lbs secured with six chains.

Last edited by Freedhardwoods; 03-29-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Rookie

I started this thread to get information so I could write an informed letter instead of a ranting letter like some do. I end up getting attacked by someone that doesn't like my strong stance for this country and what it stands for. That is why I rarely have my cb on. I get tired of all the crap.

I will still listen if anyone has something substantial to say in answer to my question. I appreciate all the contributions to my question so far.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedhardwoods View Post
For you to think I am misusing the Constitution makes it appear that you want to pick and choose who gets rights.. I don't know much about Larry Flint, but I say the Supreme court got it wrong about the Westboro people. They do not have the right to abuse other peoples rights. My boy very nearly came home in a box. I would not just stand by while they abuse my family.
Again, there is no right to break the law. Secondly the 1st amendment was upheld by the supreme court they got that correct as sad as that is. I can tell you from experience that you would indeed stand by while the westboro goons did what they sometimes do. You’re pretty busy during that time with other things.
Quote:
If you beleive that someone lacks personal responsibility for working to keep this country the way its founders wanted it to stay, that is your right also. This eobr situation is just a minor thing compared to the many other challenges our country is facing.
So the founding fathers were concerned about 80,000 pound trucks running with fatigued drivers as they drove whenever they wanted too? Really?
Quote:
There are far too many people in positions of power that are trying to twist the constitution to serve their purpose. It is NOT a living document. The founders wrote it so that no matter how society changed, it could still guide the country down the path that would keep our country great.
It damn well better be a living document or we better get rid of the standing army and limit ourselves to a Navy because that all the Constitution really allows.
Quote:
As far as the exemption card I spoke of, or any system that would encourage safety, I know it will never be considered until the people in charge are more concerned with safety than control.
It would never be considered because it’s an asinine, self-serving and dangerous idea.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I started this thread to get information so I could write an informed letter instead of a ranting letter like some do.
No you didn't, You came here to get information (that you know little to nothing about) to bolster your already biased and negative opinion of the electronic recording devices. Here is the FIRST sentence that you posted; "I am gathering information for my letter to the fmcsa concerning mandatory eobr's. I have never used one and never want to. I would like to hear all possible ways that you can cheat while using them.

Quote:
I end up getting attacked by someone that doesn't like my strong stance for this country and what it stands for. That is why I rarely have my cb on. I get tired of all the crap.
Attacked? Hardly.. someone took an opposing position to your obviously biased and uninformed position and you got all butthurt and started yapping about your "experience" in everything with the exception of the current topic (which you came here looking for ONLY negative information on). You then launched into something about the founding fathers and the constitution BOTH which are irrelevant to the discussion.

Quote:
I will still listen if anyone has something substantial to say in answer to my question. I appreciate all the contributions to my question so far.
I've explained that there really is no way to cheat the system without EASILY being caught. The worst thing about the EOBR's is that the drivers have to KNOW that they are dealing with a very litteral system that records every second of their on-duty time and their driving status. The system uses the ECM, and a GPS that works together, this information is stored in an electronic "basket" in the CPU of the truck.. at timed, predetermined intervals, when the driver "forces" a data call or when the truck passes the nearest cell antenna, the truck dumps the stored information on the the network which is then forwarded to the providers and then the company. I have lined out why it is a good that some companies are forced to use them. why others would want to.. and why still others have gone into these systems for pure economic survival.

Last edited by Fozzy; 03-29-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Board Icon

I'm glad this thread is here. I was wondering what EOBR's were. I've heard them talk about it on Road Dog. I figured it was paperless logs, but wasn't completely sure. We have computers in our trucks. Not bad. I kinda like them. The good thing about them; you don't have to work the crossword puzzle book. The bad thing about them; they know exactly what you are doing. They can pin point us to exactly where we're at. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that we should just get rid of the log books, EOBR's and the hos. When you get tired you find a place to park and take a nap. That is what every other profession does, with the possible exception of pilots.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think that we should just get rid of the log books, EOBR's and the hos. When you get tired you find a place to park and take a nap. That is what every other profession does, with the possible exception of pilots.
Yeah...That would be a fine and lovely thing. BUT.....what are you going to do with all those drivers....AND OWNERS....who think that a person can stay awake for 40 odd hours....and still safely drive a truck.

You were around for the days when drivers were given a bag of pills to keep them running so the "loads" could be moved. THOSE DAYS are exactly why HOS and log books were required in the first place. Those days are why truck inspections were developed...because the people whom were charged with keeping the equipment safe...(drivers and owners...owners and drivers)....wouldn't do that....not if it cost money. The EOBR's that are being shoved down peoples throats........those are coming because of the intelligent folks that have been able to hide their operational activities............right up until they killed someone.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 AM
Rookie

First I want to apologize to everyone for letting someone goad me into hijacking my own thread. I usually do some background checking when someone starts getting disagreeable, but I didn't this time. Some of the illogical things said in the last two rants is what woke me up. I will ignore any further posts by him.

I would like to clarify a couple things before trying to get back on track.

I would not wish those westboro jerks on anyone and I wouldn't fault anyone for how they decided to handle that situation. Because there are so many variables I won't even try to give any detailed explanations, but if I had to deal with them I would discuss all possible solutions with the funeral director and the law enforcement that would be involved. If the only possible solution would be to have no service at all, I would choose that over a service desecrated by those ungodly and immoral people. As I said I will not stand by and let my family be abused.

The "exemption card" idea ( I'm open to a better name if anyone has one) is based on the probationary teenager license that some states use, the insurance reward program for teens, as well as the probationary cdl that has been discussed. The first two programs mentioned are showing positive results so taking it one step further and rewarding drivers in some fashion for safe driving habits should be worth a try. Propane and anhydrous haulers get exemptions from the hos during busy times and they are hauling hazardous.

Most everyone has said that there isn't much you can do with line 3, which is really what I suspected. I will rephrase my question to ask about the other three lines. What flaws in the system has anyone experienced or noticed. For example, when you are backed into a dock for 6 hours getting loaded, the government says that is all supposed to be on line 4. From the many people I have spoken with in the past that are using e-logs, hardly any of them put that time on line 4. I would like to hear any other area or instances concerning lines 1, 2, and 4

Last edited by Freedhardwoods; 03-30-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Yeah...That would be a fine and lovely thing. BUT.....what are you going to do with all those drivers....AND OWNERS....who think that a person can stay awake for 40 odd hours....and still safely drive a truck.

You were around for the days when drivers were given a bag of pills to keep them running so the "loads" could be moved. THOSE DAYS are exactly why HOS and log books were required in the first place. Those days are why truck inspections were developed...because the people whom were charged with keeping the equipment safe...(drivers and owners...owners and drivers)....wouldn't do that....not if it cost money. The EOBR's that are being shoved down peoples throats........those are coming because of the intelligent folks that have been able to hide their operational activities............right up until they killed someone.
I remember those days, Stan. It was a much different time and attitude. The EOBR's and change of hos will do little or nothing to change those who continue to operate by the seat of their pants. It is a shame to punish an entire industry for the sins of the few. No amount of regulations will force those who want to break the rules to change their ways. The government will never be able to make everyone safe and secure. You cannot legislate safety. I understand what you are saying. It could force some who constantly push the envelope to make some changes. But, there will always be those who break the rules. It would be interesting to do a study and see if getting rid of the hos and logs actually would make a difference in how most operate.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I remember those days, Stan. It was a much different time and attitude.
Same attitude is very alive and well in the industry, it was calmed down immensly with the radom drug tests.
Quote:
The EOBR's and change of hos will do little or nothing to change those who continue to operate by the seat of their pants. It is a shame to punish an entire industry for the sins of the few.
The new HOS and the EOBR have changed a lot of things and a lot of companies to their very core. I still cannot understand what the "punishment" is supposed to be.
Quote:
No amount of regulations will force those who want to break the rules to change their ways.
It already has changed many things.
Quote:
The government will never be able to make everyone safe and secure. You cannot legislate safety.
No.. and the other is certainly debatable, there are many many instances where legislation (just seatbelt laws as a single example) have improved safety in the industry.
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. It could force some who constantly push the envelope to make some changes. But, there will always be those who break the rules.
There will be, but eventually, with any luck, it will stop being the norm and the industry as a whole can be seen as an honest profession and not have 100's of precentages of turnover per year.
Quote:
It would be interesting to do a study and see if getting rid of the hos and logs actually would make a difference in how most operate.
Who's going to pay up when the accidents start taking lives? There have been many times that the government has used segments of the population as guinea pigs.. why should this one be any different?