User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Me, personally, if I was going to be stopped for a long period, like waiting for accident to be cleared out of the way, I would just select off duty.

The program may let u do that, but legally u cannot be off duty while sitting still on the interstate- or at a shipper..
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
The program may let u do that, but legally u cannot be off duty while sitting still on the interstate- or at a shipper..
While technically true, after 3 decades in this game, I am not going to lose any sleep over such technicalities. I show roughly 10 min on duty at unload, load, or drop and hook. If I am going to be stopped for anything more than 5 min, going to OD or sleeper. I have endured numerous FMCSA audits over the years and never been cited for one log violation, on paper or EOBR. Just had FMCSA do an audit on my logs at the company a few weeks ago.

You have to keep in mind, that with so many nuances to the regulations, that they cannot spend time looking at every detail of the regs like you can. There is just so many enforcement personnel and so many hours in a day. Case in point, I hardly ever give the annual truck check 72 hr thing a minute of my time. I keep my stuff in order and I have not been pulled in for one of those blitzes in over 12 years. Haven't had any roadside or scale inspection for over 4 years. Point is, the odds of any enforcement person zeroing in on minute details such as whether I was legally on or off duty at a shipper, is so remote. Worrying about it is not worth my time. They would have to prove that I was not legally off duty when I said I was. Most of my customers do not document times on B/L and I do spend some of the time there not doing any work related to unloading or loading. So, for any FMCSA person reading this, if you want to waste time on the obscure chance you might find a minute or two in error.... have fun.

Last edited by Copperhead; 07-25-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I just saw a video on another board where a tanker truck passed a car on the right hand shoulder of a four lane interstate. How is an EOBR going to stop this behavior? These types of behavior are more dangerous imo than someone over his hours by a few minutes.

Computers are good tools but once again man abuses everything he gets his hands on.
You can't mandate safe behavior.
there is no amount of regulations that will stop people from doing stupid things. EOBR's have nothing to do with that. The argument is not valid.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Senior Board Member

do your eobr's record your speed every 30 seconds ,over here trks pay in advance road user charges ,bout $2000 in advance for 5000ks trk 3000ks trailer (logging rig piggy back trailer)sum have eroad system which sounds like ur eobr's ,automaticly updates RUCS but also tells boss your speed and times'no doubt cops have hackers that hack into system to watch you .legally they have to get warrant to check office computer
Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

The systems that I have experience with record everything in real time, Hackers are not necessary.. The LEOS can audit the records the same with any logging system. If an incident comes up, the driver can record the event or some recorders will record the incidents automatically. Some systems have build in accelerometers that activate a "save" of the data should the system think that its been involved in an accident or even an unsafe act and save the seconds that precede and follow the event that triggered the save. This record shows all sorts of information (this is basically a black box like the air industry uses).

Last edited by Fozzy; 01-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Along with the EOBRs for logging, there are other systems that companies are using such as; Drivecam The Driver Safety and Driver Productivity System | Driver Risk Management (check out the videos) and Green Road GreenRoad | Delivering the best drivers on the road This is the system that we use currently.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

The QC in my truck activate an 'Event' if my ABS activates for any reason. It's fun on ice, even when there's no 'Event' other than losing traction for a split second.