User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just a thought, to help "speed" things up at the shipper. What would be the chances of your company putting a spot trailer at the shipper, and turn your run into a drop and hook. Spot trailer would be loaded and ready when you arrive each time.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Well here is what happened yesterday.

I drove up to a warehouse in Manitoba the night before so I could load in the morning.

I loaded and got going about 6:30 am. Reached the processing plant at 11:00 AM in south central North Dakota. I sat until 2:30 PM brfore they could let me unload. Then I had to get some fuel since I was not able to get it at the beginning of the day so that took about 15 min of driving time to the truck stop and 15 min of time to fuel. I then had to drive 1.75 hours to another warehouse in ND and ended up sitting for over an hour before I could load due to problems with equipment at the warehouse.Ended up using some old trash equipment so it took about an hour to load the truck. Once loaded I had about a 3.5 hour drive to get to a processing plant in North Eastern ND to unload. After unloading I had to get back to base so I could go home which is 45 miles away from were I was unloading.

The processing plants have computerized scales that time stamp your scale ticket when you enter the yard and leave the yard.

But this is usually how my day goes. I try to start my week out by leaving from home to manitoba the night before my first load so I can load early in the morning. Most the time I am doing my pretrip on the 35 hour of my break which means no taking off any earlier.

I take my "Ten" up at a warehouse in Manitoba. These are usually a farm yard of some sort since I am hauling raw potatoes to be processed.

Having another trailer is not an option as there are usually 10 to 20 trucks loading out of the same warehouse each day and we are never at the same warehouse for more then 3 days since we haul from many different producers in Manitoba.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Board Icon

Rat said:

Quote:
The processing plants have computerized scales that time stamp your scale ticket when you enter the yard and leave the yard.
Not enough info. Do they time stamp your BOL?? Are these scale tickets retained? By whom? the yard.... or YOU? Are they free? ALL important questions.

Quote:
But this is usually how my day goes.
IF you do THIS.....

Quote:
I try to start my week out by leaving from home to manitoba the night before my first load so I can load early in the morning. Most the time I am doing my pretrip on the 35 hour of my break which means no taking off any earlier.
I don't see HOW you can do THIS....

Quote:
I take my "Ten" up at a warehouse in Manitoba.
How many runs do you make per week? How much time off? Only a 34 hour reset? Does this change your schedule.... or is that why you waste a 10 hour break in Manitoba only 5 hours after starting your week?

BIG QUESTION....... How do the OTHER drivers manage their week/daily logs?

Can you do THIS??....

Start from home at approx 11 p.m. (North Dakota.) Drive 4-5 hours to Manitoba and PUNCH the scale clock.... THEN take 2 in the sleeper.... THEN load and scale again. Drive 5 hours back to Dakota and scale immediately. Unload (logging all time not actually ON THE DOCK in the sleeper. (okay if you go over 14, but try to show unloading EARLY after getting there.) You don't have to SCALE again when EMPTY, do you? Then take 8-10 hours in the sleeper IN DAKOTA, and start all over at about 11 p.m. Fuel on the way or while STILL on duty before logging sleeper at either end.

Rinse and repeat until you've worked 5 or 6 days (whichever you do,) and finish your week in Dakota.

ONCE you are empty on your last day..... you are considered "unladen" and can drive as long as needed to take you and your truck HOME for your reset! I'm assuming this should only be an hour or two. THIS trip home can be part of your RESET! IF you can SHOW being unloaded by 1 p.m., you can be on the road again 34 hours later at 11 p.m. to start all over. Personally, I would rather just take off when empty on the last day, and then start over at 11 p.m. two nights later.

Point is..... if your LAST day maxes out your 14 before you leave the processing plant, you CAN drive home unladen in your truck WITH or WITHOUT the trailer. (Personal conveyance exception. No need to even log it.)

But.... DO NOT leave home early and drive to Manitoba and THEN take another 10 hour break.

I am TRYING to help you do this LEGAL. If you want other advice, I may be able to help there, too! :lol:

I SAID your boss had it figured TIGHT. Your example of what happened "yesterday" might blow that envelope open! I haven't done the math on that example yet.... but it sounds like your problem may have been ONLY how to get "home." That is why I pointed out the fact that the regs LET YOU drive home "unladen" at no expense/regard to your clocks.

If you LIVE in Dakota, and LOAD in Manitoba, I see no other way to do this than to start your 14 in Dakota, and get back there (and empty) each night. Whether you take 8 or 10 there depends on what is the LAST 15 minute block you have to log on line 4. Under your circumstances, I would ALWAYS try to find a way to log 2 hours in the sleeper in Manitoba....even if you have to delay leaving or loading for a short period of time.

NOTE to all others: THIS could be one of those examples I've mentioned where split logging is beneficial to a Solo driver. :wink:

Remember..... if you can GET to your plant in Dakota to unload within your 14 hours, you can finish unloading regardless of the time needed OVER your 14.... but, try not to LOG it at the last minute!

Also remember..... even if OUT of hours on your 14..... if UNLADEN, you can drive your truck/trailer HOME for either a reset OR a 10 HOUR break (I think! :lol: Now... where IS that reg book?) :lol: :lol:

'Nother note: UNLADEN means you are not under dispatch to pick up another load, (and of course, have no load ON your trailer.) Once you leave home UNDER DISPATCH to go to Manitoba to GET a load, you ARE "laden," EVEN if empty! IF you use Qualcomm, and you have been given a preplan or know you are going for another run, DON'T accept the load assignment until after you are through using your truck as a personal conveyance. This "allowance" in the regs SHOULD only be used when going home for a reset, but COULD be used for a "break."

KC.... Rawlco?? Either of you want to point out a mistake here? I'm a bit rusty on these reg issues! :lol: This forum has been slow for awhile now! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Your explanation of the regs sounds all right to me Hobo. He may have company policy that contradicts that though.

Part of the problem is that you are trying to do a full days work there everyday. Trying to drive 11 hours out of 14 and load and unload TWICE would be a tight fit on the logbook even without equipment problems and loading delays.

If you are going to sit for at least 2 hours somewhere anyway everyday then learning the ins and outs of split logging woudl be very beneficial to you.

The thing I dont' know is how Canada deals with our split logging rules. :shock: That could be a problem.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Reason I leave home and drive for 4 or 5 hours and sit for the night is because of port of entry closing times and the amount of miles it would take to go to a 24 hour port.

Most of the ports open at 8AM and close at 10 pm.

As far as loading, well the private farms were the warehouses are at do not load 24 hours a day. They will quit loading in the early evening and not start loading again till between 6 am and 9 AM depending on if it is a sunday or a week day.

Usually the boss will call me on a tuesday and say I need to be at ?????? farm at between 4 and 6 AM on wed morning. So I need to cross the port the night before and drive to the farm and still have 10 hours berth time so I can start my tour at between 4 and 6 (pending when the farmer climbs out of bed).

I do my pretrip and load as one then start driving. Drive to the processing plant in ND and sit and wait till I can get unloaded. The farmer writes on the BOL the time that he loaded me. I get to the border and I get clocked into the computer as to what time I crossed. I get to the plant and have to scale as soon as I get into the gates. The scale ticket is done electronically so it is time stamped. After unloading I have to scale again so they know how many pounds of product I hauled into the plant and this is also time stamped.

I then need to run to the truck stop and put on some fuel for my return trip to Manitoba so I don't have to purchase fuel up there or at the higher priced stops along the way. We get a deal on fuel at this truck stop so we fuel there. it is a 15 min drive to the stop. I then have to fuel up and grab something to eat. My truck doesn't have the goodies in it as I only have a 12 volt cooler and no room for anything else. I need to also sneek a shower in there when possible.

I then head back to manitoba for the night so I can load in the AM again.

That last day that I did was a little different since I did a back load to get me close to home and get paid for driving the distance. But usually the tour will end with one of these back loads to get the driver home without having to waist fuel pulling an empty trailer.

I quess it would not be such a big deal if the processing plant would actually care that this waiting time or 2 or more hours eats up a persons log book in a hurry.

I looked quick at the split berth thread and it looks like it would not leave me with enough time the next day to complete a round.

Oh a tour is 5 days with 5 loads out of manitoba. The 5th day sometimes leaves us sitting the night in North Dakota till the next morning for a return load back to base.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
Your explanation of the regs sounds all right to me Hobo. He may have company policy that contradicts that though.

Part of the problem is that you are trying to do a full days work there everyday. Trying to drive 11 hours out of 14 and load and unload TWICE would be a tight fit on the logbook even without equipment problems and loading delays.

If you are going to sit for at least 2 hours somewhere anyway everyday then learning the ins and outs of split logging woudl be very beneficial to you.

The thing I dont' know is how Canada deals with our split logging rules. :shock: That could be a problem.
US drivers can split break while in Canada because in Canada their split breaking is 8 hour break and their 2 hour break can be a combination of say 4 breaks of 30 minutes at a time or longer.

So I
drive 3 hours
off duty 1 hour
drive 4 hours
off duty 30 minutes
drive 2 hours
off duty 30 minutes

That's their 10 hour breaks. So if you split break you are still in compliance without even saying you are split breaking.

I definately no expert on Canadian regs but I know that much
Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Split sleeper....Minimum 8hrs line 2, and Minimum 2hrs line 1 or 2.
The 2hour line 1 or 2 does not stop the 14hr clock. The 8hr line 2 will stop and reset the clock to the hours you had when you started the 8hr line 2.
I've always been confused about the split sleeper thing, some say you can split it, others say it has to 10 consecutive hours.

Okay, heres a scenario...

I get up and start my day at 07:00. around noon I get sleepy and take a 2 hour nap from noon till 14:00. (I log 2 hours on line 2). I then drive till 20:00 and shut down. (11 hours driving and under the 14). I log 8 hours in line 2 and start rolling again at 04:00.

Now... is that legal?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Okay, heres a scenario...

I get up and start my day at 07:00. around noon I get sleepy and take a 2 hour nap from noon till 14:00. (I log 2 hours on line 2). I then drive till 20:00 and shut down. (11 hours driving and under the 14). I log 8 hours in line 2 and start rolling again at 04:00.

Now... is that legal?
Yes it is, but at 04:00, you have 5 hours available to you before you will have to shut down for at least 2 hours again.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Rev... you just added to my confusion!

I had my 10 hours off... 2 at noon and 8 at 8pm. I should have full 11/14 hours. Your saying the 2 hours at noon didnt count toward my 10? Where did the 5 hours come from?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Thanks Rev... you just added to my confusion!

I had my 10 hours off... 2 at noon and 8 at 8pm. I should have full 11/14 hours. Your saying the 2 hours at noon didnt count toward my 10? Where did the 5 hours come from?
When you are splitting, you add up the hours on each side of your break. Those added-up hours cannot exceed the 11/14.

For example, if you drove 4 hours, took an 8 hour break (which stopped the clock), drove 7 hours, then took a 2 hour break (which doesn't stop the clock), you have 4 hours available to you after the break (the 7 before the break plus 4 after the break = 11 hours). You would then need to take an 8 hour break, at which point you would have 7 hours available to you (the 4 hours before the break plus 7 hours after the break = 11 hours). The 14 hour clock is calculated the same way. When the 14 hour clock stops for an 8 hour break, then you add up the hours on both sides of the break to get your total hours for both the 11 hour and 14 hour clocks. When the break is less than 8 hours, you add up both sides of the break to get your 11 hour clock, but continue to count your hours from your last 8 hour break to get your 14 hour clock.

The only thing that will break this cycle is 10 hours in the sleeper. Be aware, however, that if you took an 8 hour break first, you cannot do a 10 hour break on the second break, because it will have put you over your 14 hour clock on the 8 hour break. That 8 hour break stops the 14 hour clock only if combined with another break that is more than 2 hours but less than 10 hours (the regs specifically state that it must be less than 10 hours). If, however, you were to take a 2 hour break first, then later instead of the 8 hour break you did a full 10 hour break, then you would have your full 11 hours driving available to you.

Clear as mud, I know. The new regulations, I believe, were designed to discourage split sleeper berths, as it was one of the issues that the opposition was complaining about.