User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
I'm just saying WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER.

I will drink to that.

Quote:
If I do 10 trips that pay $4 per mile and each trip is only 300 miles, that's not as good as doing 4 trips at $2.50 per mile and each trip is 2,500 mile long.

Trouble is there is too much time wasted in between the long loads, so far you sit waiting almost as much as you drive, or you deadhead too far for the next "long" load.

That truck needs to earn a certain amount per day, remember it has fixed costs, every day it sits even with those "high" paying loads, you're losing money, dead heading to another area is the same as sitting.

When I ran my flatbed, I dropped a load every day, consistent $3500 to $4000 EVERY week, all to the truck, since I ran under my authority, home every weekend too, so it can be done, I have friends that still do it, week after week.

Last edited by Maniac; 12-30-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I will drink to that.

Trouble is there is too much time wasted in between the long loads, so far you sit waiting almost as much as you drive, or you deadhead too far for the next "long" load.

That truck needs to earn a certain amount per day, remember it has fixed costs, every day it sits even with those "high" paying loads, you're losing money, dead heading to another area is the same as sitting.

When I ran my flatbed, I dropped a load every day, consistent $3500 to $4000 EVERY week, all to the truck, since I ran under my authority, home every weekend too, so it can be done, I have friends that still do it, week after week.
That one statement is the "Whole Enchilada"!!! The truck needs to earn a certain amount each day!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok I read it again (couple of times actually) and yeah I agree. INS seems not to like it. Damn I thought they finally changed that rule.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Unfortunatley you are wrong..... I have 2 very good friends who work for MCX in Detroit and both have regularly delivered loads that a canadian driver has brought up from Laredo and Brownsville. I JUST got off the phone with one of them and he said the canadian drivers take loads from Canada to their border yards in texas, and then will pick-up auto-parts usually somewhere in TX or MO and drop the trailer off at the detroit yard where he as a LOCAL US driver, then delivers the load to FORD and Chrysler. This is what the quote and article RANK was talking about. the trailer is CANADIAN based, but it has to be delivered by a US driver.
That is NOT legal, a canadian driver can not pick up a load in the US and then just drop in a company yard for a US driver to deliver in the US

The canadian driver MUST cross the border with every load he hauls! and he can not even move empty trailers from place to place in the US.
he can take one trailer down and bring a different trailer back ,

but he can not take a trailer and drop in the US, then hook to an empty and take it to another place and drop and then hook to a loaded trailer, that is NOT allowed either.

any trailer a canadian driver pulls in the US, he had to have either took into the USA, or else he is taking it back out.
or taking the same trailer in and out
Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
That is NOT legal, a canadian driver can not pick up a load in the US and then just drop in a company yard for a US driver to deliver in the US

The canadian driver MUST cross the border with every load he hauls! and he can not even move empty trailers from place to place in the US.

but he can not take a trailer and drop in the US, then hook to an empty and take it to another place and drop and then hook to a loaded trailer, that is NOT allowed either.

any trailer a canadian driver pulls in the US, he had to have either took into the USA, or else he is taking it back out.

You are right. It is not legal. BUT....It has been getting done like this for years, and as long as Law Enforcement AND the IRS look the other way, it will continue.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Rookie

INS would look at it the same way as they would a Mexican that is illegaly working in the US.

Shouldn't be a problem then. ; )
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Apparently things are even worse on our side, reports of American company teams crossing the border empty, running from Ontario to Vancouver and back, then crossing again empty.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 AM

I know Celadon out of Cambridge used to do similar things out of Laredo going to various points in the US. Their reasoning was that Mexican based loads were the same as Canadian loads due to free trade so it was fine for a Canadian to pull those loads. I don't think they do it anymore but I don't know.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post

Well that's how it IS being done... call the INS and complain then. Maybe he had it wrong and the load originated in mexico?? I do believe it to be legal tho because as long as the trailer the canadian driver is pulling was loaded in Mexico and then he drops it in the US, whats the difference than if he came from canada and del to US??? I guess as long as it doesn't pick-up at a US shipper, and deliver to a US cons then it would be ok????

NAFTA really needs to go IMHO, we, the US, can self-sustain ourselves w/o a problem. We don't need to import or export ANYTHING. We have the ability to manufacture everything for everyday life right here, so why are all my toys coming from China?? LOL
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I do believe it to be legal tho because as long as the trailer the canadian driver is pulling was loaded in Mexico and then he drops it in the US, whats the difference than if he came from canada and del to US??? I guess as long as it doesn't pick-up at a US shipper, and deliver to a US cons then it would be ok????

N
I believe in order for it to be legal a Canadian driver must cross the border with the load,therefore he would've had to pick the load up in Mexico,not on US soil.