User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry

Who ever came up with that "14 HOURS " idea, must be not too smart. Unless he is the terrorist, and wants a maximum damage. Then he is brilliant!
Once you've started, clocks is start ticking, you are sit a bit here, a bit there...clocks still ticking, time is short, you want to stop for a meal? Clocks are ticking...Tired and want to take a nap? Clocks are ticking.. Gotta make a living, gotta go...Of course there are other ways, but speaking legally, that's your only option...
Is it really hard to comprehend...? Sometimes, that makes me wondering...Who are those people!?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Who ever came up with that "14 HOURS " idea, must be not too smart. Unless he is the terrorist, and wants a maximum damage. Then he is brilliant!
Once you've started, clocks is start ticking, you are sit a bit here, a bit there...clocks still ticking, time is short, you want to stop for a meal? Clocks are ticking...Tired and want to take a nap? Clocks are ticking.. Gotta make a living, gotta go...Of course there are other ways, but speaking legally, that's your only option...
Is it really hard to comprehend...? Sometimes, that makes me wondering...Who are those people!?
I always thought it was "Big Business" that came up with the 14 and 11 stuff.

If the "Anti" crowd had their way, we would all be working 8am to 5pm and not be permitted on the roads during daytime traffic.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
Can you find that study, GMAN?

stonefly

This is the federal website address. I don't have much time to do a lot of research on this but you can check this to see if it helps. I will make a couple of phone calls this coming week and see if I can find who wrote the article.

www.fmcsa.dot.gov/facts-research/research-technology/report/Large-Truck-Crash.../Index-2005LargeTruckCrashFacts.htm
Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Here's a good one:

Most fatal crashes involving heavy trucks are not the fault of truckers, U-M study says.

Quote:
He found that the most common of all such crashes
passenger vehicle crosses the center line into the truck's
path—eight times the rate of a truck crossing into the
lane of a passenger vehicle.

Further, Blower says, drivers of passenger vehicles
are six times more likely than truckers to sideswipe a
truck heading in the opposite direction, four times more
likely to hit a truck from behind and twice as likely to
turn across the path of a truck or sideswipe a truck going
in the same direction.

"The disproportion of passenger-vehicle driver errors
in fatal crashes may be in a sense related to the fact that
a fatality occurred, rather than that they are more
culpable," he says. "Rear-end collisions provide the
clearest example, because a fatality is more likely to
occur if a passenger vehicle strikes the rear of a truck,
rather than the truck striking the rear of the passenger
vehicle."
Old 05-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post

+1
It'd be nice to stop the 14 hour clock.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member

OK, I just had one of my "out of the box" moments. :lol: Have you noticed that the ones making the rules tend to only work within a 24 hr. frame? They base everything on a 24 hr. day. That is something very hard to do in this industry. What if they were to look at a 48hr. or even a 72hr. window? I'm not saying drive for 24 straight, just maybe like 14 and then a min. of a 4hr. break then a max of say 6hr. of driving again followed by a full 10hr break.

Now I'm just throwing some numbers out there, no FACTS to back them up. Just saying there needs to be some flexibility in the total picture for the driver to make the delivery ( or pick-up ) on time and still get the rest to do so safely.

All the studies I've seen, seem to be based on a 24hr. period.

Comments please,

Ridge
Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh yea,

One more piece of useless knowledge from Ridge: A study I read MANY years ago when I worked in the medical field talked about "sleep/wake" cycles of humans. In short..... a 24hr. cycle is NOT a normal cycle for humans.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Oh yea,

One more piece of useless knowledge from Ridge: A study I read MANY years ago when I worked in the medical field talked about "sleep/wake" cycles of humans. In short..... a 24hr. cycle is NOT a normal cycle for humans.
I absolutely couldn't agree more. How I slept two days ago affects how alert I am today. I may also need more sleep.

It's the chronic fatigue that needs to be eliminated. When I came off nights, it took me FOUR WEEKS to finally catch up on my sleep and feel normal again! I feel fantastic now.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The problem with the hos has always been the "cookie cutter" approach they use. Not everyone has the same need for rest. I normally sleep from 4-6 hours per night. That works for me. If I sleep for 8 hours then I am groggy all day long. It is like being hung over. I know some people who need as much as 10 hours sleep per day and could not function with 6 hours as I can. It would be best if we could stop the clock without losing our work day and get the rest we need. There are days in which I could run 16 hours and others where I don't feel like running 4. If our livelihood depends on working within a certain time frame then we are going to work whether we should or not so that we can earn a living. The ones who make up these rules do so without having driven themselves or talking to those of us who must deal with these rules. I can work within the current hos rules but it would be much better if I could stop the clock when I needed to take a break. The old hos made much more sense because we could stop the clock and take a break as needed. If we kept the old hos and the current 34 hour reset that would be the best of both worlds. A 24 hour reset would be more ideal. In fact, I think it would be best to simply have a set number of hours we could work each day and not even consider the total for the week. We are probably the only profession where we are penalized for taking a break during our work day.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
I thought I might have better luck in this section.

Are there any independents here who would like to see the feds restore the split sleeper berth provision to HOS regulations?

stonefly
Didnt know they did away with it.. But when your tired or just bored of driving, sleep is a good way to pass time.. but those idots who make the rules and dont live the life our clueless..