User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think you are in an uphill battle.
WHAT? Is there any other kind? If there is, I've never been involved in one.

Quote:
MADD and the others are getting together in an attempt to further reduce or change our current hos. They still think we are working too much.
There is nothing worse that being told when to sleep, to stay put in a bunk and not move the truck even though one is rested. It is matter of personal freedom, a matter of privacy. There is nothing in any statistics that proves the old split sleeper berth provision contributed to highway fatalities and likewise nothing that indicates highway safety has been improved by the loss of the split sleeper berth provision. Giving up freedom in the name of safety doesn't even apply here. There is no proof that the mandatory eight hour sleep break has done anything to improve safety. Being told when to sleep? That is the worst.

Quote:
I think you will need to find more drivers who are willing to speak out.
This is America.

Quote:
Of course, that could have the opposite effect in that it could push more for EOBR's. That is something most of us don't want.
I don't want one in my truck. There are people pushing these things for profit. That is where a lot of the problem lies.

Quote:
The ATA is pushing for the EOBR's and speed limiters. If you want to be successful you will also need to get the legislative branch (congress) involved. I think you could gain support from independents, smaller carriers and some owner operators. Many will be cautious since they are afraid that we may wind up with something that is worse that what we have now and will further inhibit our ability to make a living.
yes

Quote:
Most people have adjusted to the current hos.
Most people may have, indeed.

Few men have.

stonefly
Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Most people may have, indeed.

Few men have.
Successful businesspeople learn to adapt to their surroundings.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have been around this business for many years and seen a lot of changes. We have a lot of issues confronting us which requires the ability to deal with those challenges and adapt or learn to use them to our advantage. Most of us have gotten used to the new hos rules. I think it does encourage people to push their limits at times. That being said, we have more pressing issues with which to deal right now. We are facing the lowest freight rates than I have seen in a number of years. The availability of freight is also somewhat limited. Drivers have to decide what they must do in order to survive. They can run their authority, lease to a carrier, become a company driver or get out of the business altogether. Having learned to use the old hos I can be sympathetic to what you would like to accomplish, but most owners that I know seem to be more concerned about survival than pushing for another hos change. It has always been a challenge dealing with logs and the dot. I don't expect to see that change. We are seeing many more laws and regulations thrust upon us. It seems that the government at all levels see this industry as a cash cow that can be tapped any time they have a shortfall. In some respects, the current hos are easier to use as far as making addition mistakes. Under the old hos we needed to be careful to not miss a 15 minute break or driving time when we added up our time for the day. It could be easy to miss one if you were a bit tired and perhaps made several stops during the day. In that respect the current hos rules are easier to use. I think the 8/2 sleeper rule is the most difficult for some to understand. For that reason, most seem to just take the full 10 hour break at one time rather than take a chance on having a violation.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
It could be easy to miss one if you were a bit tired and perhaps made several stops during the day.
Now, GMAN.... you KNOW that under the old "anything goes" rules, where REAL MEN were allowed to take a SHORT nap and keep pushing on (hoping to deliver early so they can get another load and make more money,) this could NEVER happen!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.