User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Drowning, can you make it on $1.50/ mile?

Yeah, I finally went over my statements and it isn't good. I was expecting $5k or so to be coming any time now, but actually, I'm about even. I got a $98 check last week, first money I've seen in 3 weeks.

At today's fuel prices, with every load grossing over 78,000 lbs, would you expect anyone to run profitably at $1.50/practical mile loaded and empty?

Various people have told me how well they do in tankers, not just on this board- quite a few people.

1) In a general sense, would you expect anyone to do well with those weights and that rate? What are some guys staying in this business on 70-80 cpm after their fuel costs?

2) Calling all the tanker dudes, Mike, Cyanide, Paul, OTG..., if anyone has some really practical job switching advice c'mon and bring it? Are there still good jobs out there? Paul, how did Dana work out? You there? Cyanide, your place still hiring.

I've got to do mucho miles today so I can't check back much. Your replies appreciated, TIA
Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think you are going to find it difficult to make it at $1.50/mile given the high cost of fuel right now. I may have posted this previously, but I met an owner operator who was leased to JB Hunt. He told me that he was doing well with the fsc making about $1.50/mile with everything included. I think they get some good discounts on fuel, and fuel was a little cheaper when I talked with him than it is now. It is difficult to make a decent profit, even leased to someone, for much less than $2/mile. But that is also subjective. It depends on your operating costs. I think the rates you are getting are affecting your profits much more than a decline in fuel mileage. You can afford to haul the heavy loads as long as you are getting a decent rate. I would think pulling a tanker would pay more than $1.50/mile, especially if you include the fsc.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: Drowning, can you make it on $1.50/ mile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange
Yeah, I finally went over my statements and it isn't good. I was expecting $5k or so to be coming any time now, but actually, I'm about even. I got a $98 check last week, first money I've seen in 3 weeks.

I don't understand why you only had $98 coming in last week when you were expecting $5,000? Perhaps you need to spend some time looking at your figures. Are you getting a lot of advances? If so, those can eat up a lot of money. I know when I have given drivers advances, some have thought they weren't making much money, when in fact, they are getting so much in advances that they are eating up a lot of their paycheck.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I got off on the wrong foot to follow my statements. The statements get mailed to the house or they are accessible through our blackberry, neither of which I had access to for a couple of months. And then, once I was able to pick up the statements, I carried them around for awhile until yesterday, when I looked at them closely. I know that's not how it's supposed to be done, but I also thought as long as they were paying what they are supposed to, the money would be there.

Well, they've paid just like they are supposed to, and yet I'm probably doing well to bring home $1000/week out of which has to come all the truck related expenses except fuel, insurance, and other minor things the company deducts (I probably take $200/wk in advances). No one needs to say anything, I'm going broke.

I've told the boss not to dispatch me once I deliver, I've got to look at the numbers more closely. Some guys seem to be doing really well with the tankers, it looks like the best I can do in the current situation is to eek out a living, even if I don't go broke, like I said.

$1.50/ mile for all practical miles sounded pretty decent at one point, maybe I was basing that on fuel prices a year ago. I wonder if I have a problem with my costs, or if, hauling heavy as I am, there really is no way to make a living like this.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Have you ever sat down and looked at your actual operating costs, lowrange? At this point, you have some historical data to compare. The only way to really see how well you are doing is to look at the numbers. It could be that some changes could be made and you could start making more money. I would look at both costs and your earnings statement. It might also help you to write all the numbers down about each load. You could write the pickup and delivery information along with all miles based upon your odometer. You may be doing that now, but I thought that I would mention it anyway. Since you haven't looked at your statements for a while, you may not be staying on top of your business as you should. If you could change the way you handle the details, you may see a big difference. If some are doing well pulling for the same carrier, I would want to see what I was doing and compare that with what these people were doing. If you can start keeping a close idea on your business you can make changes to increase profitability. You could keep everything in an inexpensive composition book. Sometimes it helps to see everything in black and white. No one needs to see it but you.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Have you ever sat down and looked at your actual operating costs, lowrange? At this point, you have some historical data to compare. The only way to really see how well you are doing is to look at the numbers. It could be that some changes could be made and you could start making more money. I would look at both costs and your earnings statement. It might also help you to write all the numbers down about each load. You could write the pickup and delivery information along with all miles based upon your odometer. You may be doing that now, but I thought that I would mention it anyway. Since you haven't looked at your statements for a while, you may not be staying on top of your business as you should. If you could change the way you handle the details, you may see a big difference. If some are doing well pulling for the same carrier, I would want to see what I was doing and compare that with what these people were doing. If you can start keeping a close idea on your business you can make changes to increase profitability. You could keep everything in an inexpensive composition book. Sometimes it helps to see everything in black and white. No one needs to see it but you.
I conceded that already, Gman. I think the bottom line is, I've got to stop letting them hold all these equipment modification costs over my head. I need to see an attorney and find out just what they can do to me if I quit and can't pay for the equipment right away. If I'm going to do this, if I'm going to pull tankers, I think I need to pull for somebody else. Step one, make sure they can't destroy me over the payback of these equipment modifications. Step two, find a job paying some of that do re mi numerous tank haulers have boasted about. This was an experiment that just didn't work out.

Maybe a guy can make it at $1.50, practical, loaded and empty, I don't know. But, it's still eeking out a living compared to what some guys are doing. I'm not living in my truck and incurring all these risks to eek out a living. As it is, now I'll have to borrow to pay my 2007 taxes. I was planning to save enough for quarterly taxes, a big IRA deposit, 2007 taxes and to pay down some other debt. Three months in this system and I don't have much to show for it.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I will post more later I am at the Nascar races in Virginia right now,but I also didn't recieve a check until the 4th week,because of the way they deduct the fuel,from the 4th check on it all evens out and the money should be constant.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've got to stop letting them hold all these equipment modification costs over my head. I need to see an attorney and find out just what they can do to me

Don't waste your money on an attorney, QC used one when they made YOUR contract that YOU signed, they WILL get their money from you, even if they have to take a judgment against you.

Apparently you didn't read the contract that YOU signed good enough.

That being said, what took you so long to look at your statements?

Don't tell me they were at the house and you weren't, you can get them faxed or emailed to you just about anywhere in the world.

Mikes numbers are posted, his reflect average wages here at Dana, there are guys much HIGHER ($$) than him, you are with the wrong company, its just that simple, when you call the Dana recriuter ask him how many QC calls he gets a day, and how many he already hired.

Mileage pay and forced dispatch should have been the clue.

Otherwise everything GMAN said is spot on.

Quote:
hauling heavy as I am, there really is no way to make a living like this.
What does the weight have to do with anything? I have been hauling tanks for 20 years at least, all you've done is mention weight, and how heavy the loads are.

Most everyone on this board pulls heavy loads at one time or another, what is the big deal.

By the way I've paid off 5 trucks and a house pulling tanks, I'm NOT rich beyond my wildest dreams, and YES the money should be better, but it IS better than other freight, heavy or light, and I've pulled them all.

I make the most money on the short hauls, which apparently you won't get with a forced dispatch.

Bayonne NJ to Springfield Mass,
Gross $750.00 $450.00 to me
$270.00.00 FSC
$70.00 tolls...........170 miles one way
Live load, drop and hook on rec end
Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I was just thinking you should be close to paying off QC on the outfitting charges. They like to take their money back quick, Cam.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

EUREKA!!! I THINK I'VE FIGURED IT OUT!

ALL IN, THIS YEAR'S $1.50/MI = LAST YEAR'S $1.25/MI! A year ago, there is no way on God's green earth I'd have gone 78,000 for a buck and a quarter, and yet, I do it all the time right now! Last year, I'd haul computers out of Chicago for $1.60/mile. Obviously, I couldn't do that all the time. But, if you mix in some not too heavy $1.25 backhauls, again, this was last year, it blows my current rate out of the water! I do get the deadhead pay, but I also lose a lot of time going to tank washes. I think the bottom line is, I'm working for dirt! 8)

Maniac, you could really be helpful, but you have such a shitty attitude I'd rather not hear it. Listen, I don't care to have you coming on here telling me off, ok? If you can't talk to another poster as an equal, a guy trying to make a living, if you have to act all high and mighty because you've been through and figured out what someone else hasn't, then just keep it to yourself. It's too bad, though, others share their knowledge and advice without acting like that. With a a different tone, I'd want to hear your opinon.

Mikey, talk to me! The purpose of the attorney would be to find out if I can jump ship and make payments on the equipment- that, or just give it back. If Suttles is filling up with former QC drivers, I wonder how interested they are in still hiring.