User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
I was just thinking you should be close to paying off QC on the outfitting charges. They like to take their money back quick, Cam.
No, OTG. They're taking the plates out at, like, $100 a week but only $50/week for the equipment. Part of the deal there might be to keep guys thinking they are trapped, I don't know. Maybe they just know guys can't afford to pay it back any quicker. Either way, I wouldn't have this job had I not been lied to. I was lied to about the cost of the equipment, I was lied to about having a choice of loads, and the real biggie, I was lied to and told I could change to % out of a terminal if I wanted to. But, they are letting guys leave before they go back to a terminal.

At nice rates, I could pay that money off rather quickly. With Landstar, I'd rake $2000 a week and more from my fuel account just blast away at my debts. At the current rate, there isn't going to be that kind of money. I'll be a slave to this system for 3 years if I try to pay it off their way.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange
EUREKA!!! I THINK I'VE FIGURED IT OUT!

ALL IN, THIS YEAR'S $1.50/MI = LAST YEAR'S $1.25/MI! A year ago, there is no way on God's green earth I'd have gone 78,000 for a buck and a quarter, and yet, I do it all the time right now! Last year, I'd haul computers out of Chicago for $1.60/mile. Obviously, I couldn't do that all the time. But, if you mix in some not too heavy $1.25 backhauls, again, this was last year, it blows my current rate out of the water! I do get the deadhead pay, but I also lose a lot of time going to tank washes. I think the bottom line is, I'm working for dirt! 8)
I think it would really be in your best interest to start using a spreadsheet program to keep track of your loads and miles, so you can see where you are at any given point in the month. If you don't have Excel, you can download a clone of it called Open Office here. If you need some help setting up a spreadsheet, I'd be happy to give you a hand. But believe me, it is definitely worth it.

Just a suggestion. :wink:
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Where is Maniac's shitty attitude? I am just a stupid company driver and I make sure I look at my statements every week, We can access them online. Do owner operators keep a rolling (month to month) tally of their revenue vs. costs to know here they are and where they should be? If I was expecting $5000.00 and only got $98 it would only take me a week to find out. Last week I figured my company should deposit $1000.00 in to my account on Friday. The night before I accessed my payroll and saw they only put in $500.00. A couple of clicks later I saw that with the short week all my trips hadn't been put on this pay period. Now this week I will make sure they are. You do have to know what you have coming.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I think it would really be in your best interest to start using a spreadsheet program to keep track of your loads and miles, so you can see where you are at any given point in the month. If you don't have Excel, you can download a clone of it called Open Office here. If you need some help setting up a spreadsheet, I'd be happy to give you a hand. But believe me, it is definitely worth it.

Just a suggestion. :wink:
I know it, Rev. Not too long ago I posted about that. Mike gave me a link to a website, Big Diesel said to go with Quicken Pro, I believe it was. Thanks for the advice and the offer, I do need to get to it.

For everyone else, I'm not hiding my shortcomings. I sat in a motel for three days over the Memorial day weekend and instead of going over my statements, I sat there webstreaming videos on things like 9/11; Bohemian Grove; 'the hidden government...' I know, I know you're not supposed to do it that way, but I did. I'm also 20 lbs overweight, if you want to know the truth.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Do owner operators keep a rolling (month to month) tally of their revenue vs. costs to know here they are and where they should be?
I know I do. Every cent of revenue is entered in before I haul the load, and then when I get my statement, it is cross referenced with the spreadsheet for accuracy. Just like a checkbook.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Not knocking you lowranger but I just can't believe a "businessman" would go three month without looking at a settlement. If mine isn't on line by noon Friday I am on the phone to find out why not. I use a spreadsheet like Rev and as soon as I climb in the truck I enter what I spent, meal, laundry, 2 bottles of Mountain Dew, under the appropriate colume then a the end of that trip I can do the fantastic Excel magic with different formulars and find out exacly what I made, spent etc. etc.
Also you can "adjust " things for tax needs.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Where is Maniac's shitty attitude?
I didn't get it either....? :roll:
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Not knocking you lowranger but I just can't believe a "businessman" would go three month without looking at a settlement. If mine isn't on line by noon Friday I am on the phone to find out why not. I use a spreadsheet like Rev and as soon as I climb in the truck I enter what I spent, meal, laundry, 2 bottles of Mountain Dew, under the appropriate colume then a the end of that trip I can do the fantastic Excel magic with different formulars and find out exacly what I made, spent etc. etc.
Also you can "adjust " things for tax needs.
Well, we've all got our issues, don't we? Me, I'm a slacker. You, you're anal... :lol:

jk Wow! You really are organized. I was really torn this summer, I didn't want to start driving again. There was something special going on with the church down in Florida and I wanted to be a part of it. I absolutely do need to get myself better organized.

I remember this guy painting the lettering on his tires to match his truck. Some guys are into chrome...I'm in it for the money, pure and simple. If they didn't treat company drivers like slaves, I'd be better off doing that, I suppose. The gig I had with Landstar, it was almost perfect. I used my truck to go where I wanted to visit whomever I wanted, and I got paid in the process. My parting with Landstar was mutual, though, I got a bad ticket, and that's another story.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

If I need to apologize to Maniac, then "I'm sorry". That said, some of you guys can't seem to pick up when someone is being talked down upon like an idiot. I DID read the contract, I was also lied to. I'll add I rolled the dice a little, so now I deal with the consequences. I DO need legal advice, I have to know what QC can do to me. There was some other stuff. The point is, I don't mind someone correcting me. But, if you have to act like I'm an idiot to do it, maybe just save it for a better man. That's all.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Board Regular