User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: What is the break even point for an owner operator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
What sort of BS game you running Sport?

You stated the truck has been running for the last two month's. YOU haven't figured out what the basic operating cost's are? You think wages aren't a portion of basic operating cost's? If you can not get a base operating cost from what has already been paid and you think wages are not a part of basic operating...get the hell off the road!

People like YOU are why freight rates are so cheap.

BOY....Go home! Your beginning to bother me!
First, it is not my truck.
Second, why include wages in the base cost of operating a truck?
The point of this is to figure out what it costs to have a truck on the road. IMO, the best way to do this is to add up what the base costs are. It is not to figure out how much one can make or should make. Those can be added in later.
You include wages, because SOMEONE has to drive the truck. PERIOD. Drivers are paid a wage. When an accoutant does the quarterly taces, you will have to denote X amount for wages, for the IRS. If you live in a state that has a "gross reciepts tax", your going to want to have wages in the formula, just to cut down on those taxes.

But you know something..I'm now in agreement with Big Diesel..your a "Mult", not really interested in operating costs.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You stated the truck has been running for the last two month's. YOU haven't figured out what the basic operating cost's are? You think wages aren't a portion of basic operating cost's? If you can not get a base operating cost from what has already been paid and you think wages are not a part of basic operating...get the hell off the road!

The point of this is to figure out what it costs to have a truck on the road. IMO, the best way to do this is to add up what the base costs are. It is not to figure out how much one can make or should make. Those can be added in later.
You include wages, because SOMEONE has to drive the truck. PERIOD. Drivers are paid a wage. When an accoutant does the quarterly taces, you will have to denote X amount for wages, for the IRS. If you live in a state that has a "gross reciepts tax", your going to want to have wages in the formula, just to cut down on those taxes.

But you know something..I'm now in agreement with Big Diesel..your a "Mult", not really interested in operating costs.
That is where you are wrong. Many owner operators go out of business because they can't pay themselves. I would guess that some go some time in that state until they realize they need to do something else for an income.

What I want to know is what the break even is not including a wage or health insurance, or food, or shelter, etc.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is where you are wrong. Many owner operators go out of business because they can't pay themselves. I would guess that some go some time in that state until they realize they need to do something else for an income.

What I want to know is what the break even is not including a wage or health insurance, or food, or shelter, etc.
Those Owner Operators whom go broke, do so because they do not include all these basic items YOU wish to exclude form basic operational costs. FOD is a basic cost, if YOU own the truck and drive the truck. Wages are a basic operational expense. I you or some other geeky bean counter wishes to say different...Get off the road...Sell your truck....YOU are driving down freight rates.

Freight rates are what pay the TRUCK. The TRUCK pays the operational costs. Wages, taxes, maintainence & repair, food, insurances, tires, permits, on down the list.

If YOU charge less per mile than it cost's to operate the truck, you will NEVER get ahead of the curve. If you do not understand all the costs invovled in operating your truck, you will never charge a rate that will pay those costs.

YOU will not Break Even. EVER.

You will not meet Return on Investment goals.

If you do not have Return on Investment goals...You do not belong in business!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have no real experience driving a truck yet

That ain't no news flash there sport.

I have a CDL class A with several endorsements.

Well now I'm impressed.....NOT!!!

I found no one to hire me for more than $0.25/mi.

Once again, your lack of research shines thru. I can rattle off 10 companies that will start you at around .35 cpm as a new guy with 0 exp.

I have an excellent job history, no wrecks or accidents, and history of drug use.

Maybe that is the problem :lol: but I know what you meant. Here again, NO reason you can't get on with a training company that will start you at around .35 cpm.

You're right. They won't give me an answer because I am not asking the question in the way they want me to ask it.

Once again you fail to get the point. :roll: You don't even know enough about the business to ask the right questions. They are telling you what you need to know, but you won't listen.

It is a simple question, "What is the base cost of operating a truck using the information in the first post?"

What does it take to get this into your head??? That question cannot be answered because YOU left out a whole lot of stuff that has to be taken into account. If you can't understand that then you sir are a waste of good oxygen.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:

The above highlighted statement by charged has just proven that he has no business skills whatsoever..... What a joke charged is..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go back to your job at the local Denny's..... :lol: :lol:
Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Board Regular

It appears that operating costs for a truck are about $1.29/mile.

Therefore, it seems to me that the owner operator in the first post has to do is figure how much it costs to pay for their needs or wants such as food, sirius, showers, insurance, retirement, house payments, etc.

Then break those costs into monthly amounts and divide by the 8000 miles he runs monthly to find out how much he has to make per mile for his lifestyle.
Maybe he decides he wants a new pool table and he can't get a better rate/mi? He'll have to run more miles.

Some people have a paid for house and may not need to make as much as another.
Some people have no kids and don't need to save for college or diapers.
Some people have a spouse who may work and cover the health insurance.

All of those situations allow some drivers to work for less and drive down rates because they're capitalist pigs.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Chad Sexton??? :lol:
Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It appears that operating costs for a truck are about $1.29/mile.

Therefore, it seems to me that the owner operator in the first post has to do is figure how much it costs to pay for their needs or wants such as food, sirius, showers, insurance, retirement, house payments, etc.

Then break those costs into monthly amounts and divide by the 8000 miles he runs monthly to find out how much he has to make per mile for his lifestyle.
Maybe he decides he wants a new pool table and he can't get a better rate/mi? He'll have to run more miles.

Some people have a paid for house and may not need to make as much as another.
Some people have no kids and don't need to save for college or diapers.
Some people have a spouse who may work and cover the health insurance.

All of those situations allow some drivers to work for less and drive down rates because they're capitalist pigs.
Since you have no desire to make a profit, you should send all income you receive to me, so that I may work less.

Other than that....GO HOME BOY.....YOU BOTHERED ME !
Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Board Member