LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM
BANNED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon
Quote:
If the trucking industry and the driving public changed their driving habits to the goal of reducing comsumption, we could easily reduce our nation wide fuel use by 15 to 35%!
Oil would drop like a rock! The oil companies would be taking a bath in red ink for a change instead of the little guy!All it would take is every body on the same page.
No, oil will NEVER drop like a rock. OUR expenses WILL.

OPEC (and the rest of the germs, including OUR domestic terrorist-like oil companies) will C-U-T production to HOLD current prices (these terrorist arabs LOVE $100+/barrell figures!).

No, we will NEVER B on 'the same page,' too many of us R 2 dumb to know what we're doing.

It is estimated that if ALL the money in the world were gathered and spread out evenly, the ones who have it now would eventually get it back and the ones that don't have any 'now' would eventually have none.

Basic economics.

God Bless

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this a relative of IE2006 ?????
Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Actually, it's not in OPEC's best interest to have $100/barrel oil. The Saudi's, up until the last year or two, had been doing their best to keep oil below $60/barrel. Unfortunately, we've gotten to the point where they are pumping near capacity and no longer have the same control over the market they once did. OPEC's real influence over the oil market is not what it used to be. As far as why it's not in their interest to have $100 oil...THAT'S simple economics; not the nonsense cited earlier :roll:
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 AM

I know around here, everyone is talking about a 1 hour HAULT if you will. On April 2nd, from 12pm-1pm they want all the trucks to shut-down for just 1 hour. It is not going to make a difference to any fuel or freight, but is supposed to show the world that we CAN ban together if need be, and are willing.

If you cant get 25-30% to stop for an hour, you wont get them to stop for any longer is my though, so like most people and O/O I know, we are going to stop for 1 hour, and SHUT OFF the truck, what the hell, it's only 1 hour, what's it really gonna hurt to try???
Old 03-22-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Actually, it's not in OPEC's best interest to have $100/barrel oil. The Saudi's, up until the last year or two, had been doing their best to keep oil below $60/barrel. Unfortunately, we've gotten to the point where they are pumping near capacity and no longer have the same control over the market they once did. OPEC's real influence over the oil market is not what it used to be. As far as why it's not in their interest to have $100 oil...THAT'S simple economics; not the nonsense cited earlier :roll:
I agree to a point..... what's the point in having $100+ oil when it means LESS will be sold??

But OPEC and the Oil Companies are not really setting the prices, it's just like the savings and loan deboggle, investors are loosing their a$$ on the market and are looking for a quick and high profit fix to the issue, so they invest in OIL and it raises the prices. Eventually, the bottom will fall out and it will stop.

We WILL NEVER see $1.50-$2.00 gallon fuel again, but $2.50-$3.00 IS feesiable.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

It's a Saturday morning and I'm actually working this morning. I picked up the voice messages from last night and there was one from a driver who identified himself as Smith. His message was that we as a company MUST shut down on April 1st for a week to combat high fuel prices. Um, good luck with that request. :roll:

As I said before, there isn't going to be a strike and even if there was, a strike would not work. Getting a few hundred truckers to protest in Washington DC will have a much greater effect, but do you think anyone will do it?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Drivers are their own worst enemy. Demanding that companies shut down, threatening to close up interstates, fill the ditches, etc. etc...and you wonder why the 4-wheeling public has such a hefty disdain for drivers. It's truly sad, because it SHOULD be so much better.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Working on a Saturday? On Easter Weekend?? During a Recession?????????

SLAVEDRIVERS!!!!!!!!! I say!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member

No amount of protesting or striking will make a difference, I don't think. It's just the economy, it'll get better.
There's lots of people out of work right now in all industries who aren't going to give a hoot about truck owners.

It'll turn around and everyone will be busy again.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Board Regular

I find it funny that independants think once the "weak" are weeded out
The "strong" will have it all to themselves.
As if they are going far far away.
Never to be heard from again
Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer

As I said before, there isn't going to be a strike and even if there was, a strike would not work. Getting a few hundred truckers to protest in Washington DC will have a much greater effect, but do you think anyone will do it?
There's a group in Mid-Georgia (Mostly loggers at this point, I think) that's already shutting trucks down.

Video added...http://www.fox24.com/newsvideo.asp?p...489&video=4125

Also...I've had many folks locally and out on the road the last few weeks (not in the trucking industry whatsoever) who believe a trucker strike would be beneficial and want to know why it hasn't ALREADY happened.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
who believe a trucker strike would be beneficial
Who is a trucker's strike going to benefit? Who? Serious question.

The answer is NO ONE.

Actually, I take that back. The only thing a strike will accomplish is weeding out some of the weak, nothing more. You'll have guys that are months behind on everything and a sneeze away from losing it all, that will park their trucks for this. Those are the guys that are going to lose, because they won't have anything to come back to. The industry will simply carry on without them.

Ask truckers everywhere, what is the reason they want to strike? Ask a dozen different truckers and you'll get a dozen different reasons. The guy that left the message last night had that many himself. No one is taking anyone seriously about this because there is no leadership, there is no solidarity, and no one is taking the lead on identifying a specific issue and how to combat it. For crying out loud, truckers can't even agree on a date. March 24th! April 1st! April 2nd! April 15th! May 1st! June 1st! July 4th! These are just a few of the dates I've heard drivers mentioning just the last couple weeks and every one of them is saying "oh, it's definitely happening on this date!"

It ain't gonna work, guys...

And the bottom line is that a trucker's strike is going about it all wrong. If your issue is with fuel, take a protest to DC and protest fuel prices. If your issue is with brokers, stop using them. If your issue is with FSC, stop hauling for customers that don't have an adequate FSC. The solutions are easy enough to see and don't involve a mythical strick. Striking is going to do nothing. Period.

Quote:
want to know why it hasn't ALREADY happened
Because it's talked about 80 times a year, every year, and the worst that happens is a dozen or so trucks park their trucks on the side of the road for an hour and yak on the CB.

It's old and one of the reasons why non-truckers view the industry is badly as they do.

I'm not disagreeing that their are issues and I'm not saying that you should just sit back and take it. But holy schnikes! Do something positive about it for once! Organize it, follow the correct action, follow a leader, and follow through.