User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks Toxicwaste. If you go back a read where I mentioned my idea about an extra lift you will notice that I questioned the single axel setup and in a later post I mentioned that it would probably need a tandem. As I said in my post, this was only an idea . As far as
a 28ft rollback with a headrack and a wheelift I don't understand why this would be over weight "every time "being that I see them quite often going down the road . Sure it is quite possible to get an overloaded truck in any circumstance but it is still built for four cars . I can see if there are cars that were heavier than normal I would have to limit what I can haul , this also would apply for larger cars. I do understand what the GVWR
of a truck actually means . Simply put , if the truck weighs 13000 full of fuel , and every thing else such as tools , chains and me, I can only haul 20000 if it is a 33000 truck . And having said that I also know that that I still cannot exceed the front or rear axel weight limits . I realize that there are limitations with a 28 ft bed and would prefer a 30 ft ( have seen a couple) as far as getting two cars on it . I may end up hauling a lot of three carloads unless like you stated they are salvage and can be squeezed on the bed. Anyway I gladly accept all advise
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Take a look at the link I posted. The Truck's axle weight limits really dont mean much to the eyes of the law. Even though the rear axle gwr is 23K, federal laws DO NOT ALLOW this weight. The maximum legal weight allowed by law on interstate loads for a single axle is 20K. Tandem axle max by law is 34K even though most tandem axle setups (class 8 ) are rated gwr @ 40K. With the 4900 @13K empty I would say thet the rear axle is carrying about 8K and the front 5K. So you can only load 12K on the rear axle to be legal. This setup you are going to want to put cars on the head rack and bed (low and short) and load high profile vehicles (blazer or tahoes) on the wheel lift because they are long. The downside to this the heviest vehicles are on the wheel lift transmitting every pound directly to the rear axle. Around town is fine from copart to body shops and sort. But Interstate you may run into a problem if you get scaled...

Trukz - A trucking simulation game www.trukz.com
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Board Regular

Hey, I found another truck. 1999 Chev 7500 , 3126 Cat, 9 spd direct drive
loaded , 233000 miles .It has all alum bed and a tag axle I talked to owner , he has been in business for30 years. Has med problem and selling out. Said he has had as many 10 trucks at a time in his business. The man seemed honest and surely knew a lot about car hauling.
More later .....................
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Board Regular

Hey Gman, ToxicWaste . I bought the 99 7500 . It is sitting in my driveway righ now . It drove terrific and I got better than 10 mpg hauling my car back from Indiana ( about 270 miles) probably closer to 11 .
It has a hendrickson ( tag)? axle which will take care of the heavier loads . It also has an exaust brake which I know is not as good as an engine brake but none the less it works fine. Also it has a century aluminum bed and headrack ( I know I will have to be careful not to gouge with salvage cars) Everything works great. It has all new tires and brand new batteries which were installed this morning before I left. Finally , I talked to Copart ( before I bought this truck) in Nashville and at first the Man said he has a guy from my area
already but to keep in touch. Right before I hung up I quickly said "thanks , I just needed to know what your requirements are because
I am fixing to go look at a 4 car rollback" As soon as I said this He replied
" Oh a 4 car rollback, If you get a 4 car call me right away , I have loads for you if you don't mind running.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Board Regular

glad to see you've jumped in!

I hauled cars for several years. Started with an 02 F-350 and a 51 foot Take 3 wedge trailer. Put 665000 miles on the ford, and it still runs strong. Been through 5 transmissions, though. Then graduated to a Volvo tractor and a Sun Valley 6/8 car easy loader. Made damn good money.

POV's can be a pain in the butt. Watch out for those damn corvettes, document the damage that is always already under the front end.

I hated Copart. They are a pain in the butt when you're hauling stuff in and out for ins. co's and individual buyers. I hear they are pretty good if you are hauling FOR them though.

Best of luck. If ever I can help, e=mail me at [email protected]
Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Board Regular

Thanks a ton Bandit. I will be emailing you when I get my thoughts together. What sorta pain was Copart? I will be calling them tomorrow and getting info . Did you make decent money with them ? ( crap just dropped mashed taters on my key board now I cant use one of the etters
, you can guess which etter ) :lol:
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Board Regular

They are just a pain when you are hauling someone else's stuff in and out. Not very helpful with the loaders. I always hated hauling those wrecks anyway. Don't know about their rates, as I never hauled FOR copart. They just arent very friendly to the outsiders, citing liabilities and such.

Car rates are pretty good or were when I got out of it 2 years ago. I usually tried to get 85 cents per mile per car, more for the wrecked ones as they were typically very difficult to unload at the customer's places. Most didn't have forklifts.

Copart in LA, CA is HORRIBLE!!! 3 to 7 hours in and out for 1 car all 6 times I went there!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Hey Gman, ToxicWaste . I bought the 99 7500 . It is sitting in my driveway righ now . It drove terrific and I got better than 10 mpg hauling my car back from Indiana ( about 270 miles) probably closer to 11 .
It has a hendrickson ( tag)? axle which will take care of the heavier loads . It also has an exaust brake which I know is not as good as an engine brake but none the less it works fine. Also it has a century aluminum bed and headrack ( I know I will have to be careful not to gouge with salvage cars) Everything works great. It has all new tires and brand new batteries which were installed this morning before I left. Finally , I talked to Copart ( before I bought this truck) in Nashville and at first the Man said he has a guy from my area
already but to keep in touch. Right before I hung up I quickly said "thanks , I just needed to know what your requirements are because
I am fixing to go look at a 4 car rollback" As soon as I said this He replied
" Oh a 4 car rollback, If you get a 4 car call me right away , I have loads for you if you don't mind running.

Congratulations on the purchase, Darin. It sounds as though you may have found your first customer.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Board Regular

Thanks to you both . Bandit , I was quoted a rate of 170.00 per car for a mininum of two cars for my area . I live about 130 miles from Nashville and assume they have an area perhaps of 200 miles or so but not sure. This quote was before I mentioned the 4 car . I called back today and spoke to ED , the man I spoke to about the 4 car earlier . I told him I had bought a 4 car rollback and he said great , and said being this was friday
before Christmas and very hectic , he wanted me to call him Wednesday at 10:00 and we would go from there. Sounds pretty promising .
Gman , thanks for your support. I am now really starting to believe this will happen . I gotta admit this is a bit overwhelming but I enjoy the challenge.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Board Regular

This is an update and a call for help . I talked to the Manager of the Copart in Nashville and was assured plenty of work once I get my authority and fill out thier packet. I applied online for my Dot and authority and got approved so I have both Dot and MC #,s , still I must file my ins and BOC-3. Now When I disconnected from the net ( dialup) I had already gotten 5 calls from various processing agents . Two more called back so I spoke to one.
He said he could handle everything for a fee of $992.25 . This includes all filings that he said I need , I told him I would look into it and let him know. The way I understood this before was that I needed a process agent to get my authority but they were primarly needed in the event of a legal need in any given state , I did not know they also did filings as he said . He said , he would take care of my ( UCR@ $150.00, Authority watch ( expedite) @$60.00, Designation of processing agent@ $40.00
International registration plan new account @ $500.00, IFTA@ $120.00,
Kentucky KYU# @ $75.00 and finally a transaction fee of $47.25. Perhaps I am wrong, but can't I take care of most of these things with the exception of the BOC-3 ? PS , was a bit suprised about the International registration , had not heard of this one as of yet . Thanks for all help Darin