User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Gman I was just kiddin :lol: . Yes they have been helpful but nevertheless I have run into several folks that are confused. I talked to one lady that said I do not need to fill out a TC95-1 application ( Kentucky
supposedly requires this ) and later was told by another lady that I do infact have to fill it out .
The TC95-1 application has to be mailed in but only after my authorization is in effect which will not happen until my Insurance is filed .
Being this is the end of the year I will have to wait till at least the 2nd
to call and get more accurate info. I hope to be in operation sometime in Jan . I have been reading Steve Booths ( from desk to own authority part 1) since last night, what a great bunch of post. He has guts no doubt,and it gave me some more confidence even though I will be doing something
a bit different .
BTW , I have driven the truck around a bit more and now
have a better average on my mpg. I am getting aroung 12 mpg empty( actually I did haul my own car 270 plus miles ). This seems high
and surely will drop whenI get it fully loaded. If I get even 8 mpgs loaded
I will be fine. I am working on a cost per mile formula , Fuel , ins, maintance and soforth and with the fugures I am getting I will do good
I believe. I will post more on this when I get all cost figured .
Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Darin..something you might consider while planning your business, is that while you are planning to haul "wrecked" vehicles into Nashville or another city, to Copart or whomever, you should also consider checking with Dealerships in those areas, to see if you could haul a vehicle or 2 out for them. The only thing they would not want you doing, is dragging one on the stinger I would think.

That way..you could be making $$$ both directions, or into an area where you have pick ups to make.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Orangetxguy, I have been thinking of all sorts of different schemes. I hope that copart will keep me busy, but the thought of limiting my deadhead with the dealers may be the answer.What would be the best way in you opinion to handle this on a daily basis? Should I keep in touch with them on a daily basis somehow? I will get some cards made up as soon as I get authority in effect. This will be good for all sorts of different things. I have also thought of hauling junk cars to the
scrap yard in Owensboro, I understand they pay pretty good fo junk cars
and other certain steel such as old farm machinery. My biggest concern is the place in Ownesboro is real crappy looking and I wonder if it might be rough on tires and truck in and out of there . I can easly check this out though. Anyway, thanks again for the advise .
Old 12-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Thanks Orangetxguy, I have been thinking of all sorts of different schemes. I hope that copart will keep me busy, but the thought of limiting my deadhead with the dealers may be the answer.What would be the best way in you opinion to handle this on a daily basis? Should I keep in touch with them on a daily basis somehow? I will get some cards made up as soon as I get authority in effect. This will be good for all sorts of different things. I have also thought of hauling junk cars to the
scrap yard in Owensboro, I understand they pay pretty good fo junk cars
and other certain steel such as old farm machinery. My biggest concern is the place in Ownesboro is real crappy looking and I wonder if it might be rough on tires and truck in and out of there . I can easly check this out though. Anyway, thanks again for the advise .
Knocking on the doors is always the best way. Go in and talk with sales managers, dressed as a businessman, with cards and rate sheets. having a photo of your unit on the card will help..and be ready to leave a handful of cards...so sales persons and customers alike can see that you are available. Lot's of inter-dealership moves get down, where a wrecker or a guy with a pickup and a trailer moves the cars.
Doing what you are planning is no different on the business side, than flatbedding or van. You gotta let them know (whether it is an insurance company, a wrecking yard, or new car dealership) you are out there ready to do business, to get the work.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Board Regular

Thanks a million. I have sorta gotten hung up on the Copart thing as of lately and put the local dealers in the back of my mind. I gotta keep all these idea fresh in my mind . I was in the small loan business for 22 or so years and at one time supervised 10 offices . We really pushed the referral card business and would leave cards everywhere, Ins companies,
auto parts stores , grocery stores and saw lots of results . You are
also correct in making a professional appearance. My Dad who was Vice
President of Security Finance Corp and later was Ceo and owner of another company always stressed this very thing . People really do take notice of your overall appearance be it dress, attitude or whatever. I need to apply my former experience,s in the business world in this new venture, just sorta got caught up in all the filings and so forth . Glad you reminded me . We had an old saying in the loan business , "persistance
wears out resistance" this mostly applied to deliquent accounts but really
it applies to promoting a business as well . Sorry to ramble but you
got me even more excited about his business. I remember when I was 11 I wanted to buy a horse. I went to a local packing shed ( we lived in a small town in SC where peaches were grown ) and asked for a job . I was told by this grumpy old man that they don't need any more help. I went home disappointed and told dad , he said go back everyday and ask this man for a job , finally after several weeks , My brother who did work at the packing shed came home one day and said " Mr Watson ( the grumpy old man ) said to tell that little Worry Wart to get up here and sweep this packing shed " I worked till the end of the season which was only about three weeks but made $75.00and with a little help from my dad I bought my first horse .
Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Board Regular

I just thought of something else, actully I posted this on another thread
trying to give another guy a tip .

"I am a newbie but will throw this out there. I have on occasion been to heavy equipment auctions , Ritchie Bros, Anderson Auction and Kissimmee Auction . I have seen single axel trucks with flatbed or lowboy trailers hauling all sorts of stuff, not necessarly heavy , yet ,tractors, lawn mowers, small track hoes trenchers, skid steers and on and on . Some of the buyers get pretty desperate to get their new toy home and are not as picky with whom they get to haul it so someone starting out might get some pretty good loads . As I recall the haulers would walk around and hand out cards , they all seemed to be really busy during and after the auction. I may even go to some auctions like these and scrounge around for some loads as well . I just bought a 4 car rollback and am in the process of getting my own authority ".
Old 12-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Board Regular

Well I got Ins today so getting closer to hitting road . I checked my status on the SAFER site but no record yet of my coverage. I believe Progressive said they would file immediatly but would take 24-48 hours for it to show up .
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

I got my 2290 filed today and supposedly the ins will file with the FMCSA
soon :roll: so I can get the rest of my filings done . I was told on the day I purchased the ins they would file within 48 hours but after checking today they had yet to file . I called them and they said they usually take 3 to 5 days , I said " not a problem but was told within 48 hours". Anyway getting ever closer to becoming a "HOBBY TRUCKER" :wink:
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Default reply

Sometimes you see car haulers all loaded to the max, and they have a car lodged right up above the cab.. that's a little scary.. hopefully those metal bars will hold it there. Not to mention the clearance up above... it probably goes upwards of 13ft.. like if you got a big SUV car up there
Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by line_transporter
Sometimes you see car haulers all loaded to the max, and they have a car lodged right up above the cab.. that's a little scary.. hopefully those metal bars will hold it there. Not to mention the clearance up above... it probably goes upwards of 13ft.. like if you got a big SUV car up there
I have also seen them ripped right off the hauler smashed by overpasses and laying on the ground,with drivers standing around with a befuddled look on their faces..... 8) ,happens almost weekley in Detroit (mostly new cars too).