User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Actually most of the 4 car haulers I have seen are 28 ft rollback beds with a one car headrack and a stinger , SO you actually have three on the truck and one one the stinger. I have been thinking , why not have
this setup but instead of just a single car headrack , have another lift
above the bed itself that would be almost like the Freightliner .Iow
two on the 28 ft bed, two above it on a rack and lift. That is pretty much what the freightliner was except it was not a rollback. I have the ability to build this . It would handle 4 cars on the truck and still room for one on the stinger.One thing , it would have to move with the rollback . A double stack rollback! another thing that I would need to know how this would effect the weight on the rear axle. Would a single axle rollback handle this? I suppose most cars will weigh around 4000 lbs . So 5 would be 20000 lbs
and most 28 ft rollbacks are 33000 total . The trailer behind this would be excellent if it werent for the 300 mile limit on my ins for towing a trailer. I would love to be within 300 and hope to find work in that range but I figure I have a better chance at least at first going out a bit further. Any Just sittin here brainstormin. D
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think the weight of the 4th car would throw you over your gross without adding another axle.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Board Regular

That is what I suspected although I have seen tandem axel rollbacks .
Anyway I am still interested in the frtlnr but gotta admit the 4 car rollback is not a bad idea. I am fixin to head to SC any minute and work for my Dad for a week , meantime I will prowl around the sandlapper state for anything interesting . Who knows, I may drive something back or perhaps make a deal with My freightliner friend and drive that sucker home this weekend. 8)
Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Keep us posted, Darin.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Board Regular

Hey Gman and others , I have been away a while but have been looking just the same for a truck . I found one in Gettysburg Pa and plan on going there the first of this week . 1996 Int 4900 , 28 ft rollback with headrack, wheelift . price is 15,500.00. This is not bad from what I have been seeing. I also got good news from the ins company . Seems they found a cheaper rate on my cargo ins. Last quote I believe was around 3800.00, New quote is 1700.00 . I could not believe this and asked if she was sure and she said she was. She said I checked out good as far as driving record and credit. I told her I was not going to finance this ins and she said they check credit to see what sort of character I have. This means that my total for all ins I need to operate will be around 4300.00 . Also I may have a good lead on some loads . I called Copar ( Ins salvage sales) late friday and was told that they do hire independents . Their requirements are fairly simple, need truck, ins and authority.I can call back monday and get more info such as their rates. They have locations in Lex KY and Nashville or Lebanon Tn which are fairly close to me.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It sounds like things are coming together for you, Darin. Let us know if you buy the rollback in Gettysburg.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Board Regular

Hey, Thanks, I will sure will .
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Actually most of the 4 car haulers I have seen are 28 ft rollback beds with a one car headrack and a stinger , SO you actually have three on the truck and one one the stinger. I have been thinking , why not have
this setup but instead of just a single car headrack , have another lift
above the bed itself that would be almost like the Freightliner .Iow
two on the 28 ft bed, two above it on a rack and lift. That is pretty much what the freightliner was except it was not a rollback. I have the ability to build this . It would handle 4 cars on the truck and still room for one on the stinger.One thing , it would have to move with the rollback . A double stack rollback! another thing that I would need to know how this would effect the weight on the rear axle. Would a single axle rollback handle this? I suppose most cars will weigh around 4000 lbs . So 5 would be 20000 lbs
and most 28 ft rollbacks are 33000 total . The trailer behind this would be excellent if it werent for the 300 mile limit on my ins for towing a trailer. I would love to be within 300 and hope to find work in that range but I figure I have a better chance at least at first going out a bit further. Any Just sittin here brainstormin. D
With a 4900 3 car + 1 on the wheel lift you'll be overweight everytime on the rear axle(if it's not a tandem). Not to mention you want to "build" a lift for a 5th car?? What if the lift breaks the car fall off and kills someone, yes you will be 100% liabile once the insurance company finds out that the truck was modified. That setup is good for hauling copart around town because of weight issues and lenth of bed. You can sandwich 2 wrecks on the bed but it would be hard to get 2 good cars to fit. Decide what you what to do and buy the equipment for that job.

FYI-The GVWR of that truck prob 10/23 doesnt mean you can put 23K lbs. worth of cars on the rear axle. Empty, the rear axle is carring the weight of the truck itself (i.e bed & wheel lift). So you only might be able to load 10-12K lbs of cars on the rear axle. :!:

Trukz - A trucking simulation game www.trukz.com
Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 PM

http://www.agotc.org/images/Truck_St...ght_Limits.pdf

Trukz - A trucking simulation game www.trukz.com
Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

If Gman wrote a book, I'd buy it. I'd prolly skip over his chapter on GPS, but I'd still buy it :lol: :lol: