User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have always done my own repairs, engine rebuild, manual trans rebuilds soforth so I feel confident I can fix the problems on the truck.
I am getting some figures together and want some advice on what to expect as far as dead head miles and perhaps what I will average
as far as full loads and less than full loads. Would 25% deadhead miles
and 80% loaded miles be too high , too low?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Board Regular

BTW, I must say you have been a pleasure to chat with. I have been on various forums and you are by far the most knowledgable person I have ever dealt with on any subject. I swear you ought to write a book and have it published , no kidding. Every newbie on this site as well as other
sites would benefit greatly as would some experienced drivers I suspect.
TRUCKING 101 BY GMAN !
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Car Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Hey, I have been looking into the car hauling business for sometime. Some of you have been very helpful so far and I need to get a few more opinions. I went to SC for thanksgiving and talked to a couple of old contacts in the auction business concerning car transport . While questioning a car dealer that I have known for years he told me about a fellow in pelion SC that I needed to talk to who hauled cars for a living.
I called the guy and low and behold it was another old friend that I had not seen or heard from in 15 years. He used to be a lineman for SCEandG power . He got tired of the bs working for them and got into the hauling business . I had no idea he was doing what I am interested in doing. Anyway he gave plenty of advise and is getting me some more contacts . I have talked to a couple of ins companies and gotten quotes
and found out that with a truck and no trailer I can go unlimited miles
( even as a new driver) . I have been looking at different trucks such as
4 car rollbacks and 5 car haulers . I found one truck that I am somewhat interested in . It is an old truck 1988 freightliner FL112. It has a headrack
with a carhaul bed that will haul 5 cars . ( very long wheelbase) . It has a cat 425 hp engine and 15 speed trans , both with less that 100000 miles
. The truck is supposedly very clean and everything works. The tires are 75% or better. The guy is asking 9500.00 which I believe is a good price if the truck is as he says it is. I saw one pic and for an old truck it looks good to me . I called the ins company and they said the age was no problem. The guy selling it said he bought it a couple of years age and decided to stick with his auto resto business rather than haul cars. One big problem is that he bought it at auction and has no title. Actually the auction company lost the title after he purchased it He said that he has gotten all the paperwork and a bond to get a title in GA ( truck is in Gainesville GA) . He said that he guarantees a title and will not sell it without getting it . I looked up the GA DMV and thay backed up what he said about a bond and soforth . Also an agent from the GA hwy dept needed to verify the truck by actually looking . The seller told me that the agent has been there and verified it already and he has those papers as well. The truck is on truck trader.com I have been a auto dealer before
and am familiar with some of this but still i would appreciate any and all input. P.S. I am thinking if all goes well I might offer him less , say 8000.00.

you need to read this thread ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=30432
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Board Regular

Gcal , Thanks , I did read that a few days ago. Lots of good info . I want to let you know that I have been thinking about doing this for 5 to 6 years. The reason I went to CDL training was for this purpose. I admit didnt realize how much was involved. I have learned a lot on this site ,
actually more knowledge here than at school . Don't get me wrong but
at school they teach you nothing about the everyday life of trucking, they just get you prepared to pass the test, that is it. I have some experience in hauling . I owned a John Deere 450 at one time and pulled it with a
2.5 ton dump truck towing a 24 ft lowboy. Surely nothing like a class 8
but I did this in the mountains of NC on some very challenging roads. I also was a car dealer for two years and transported a couple of hundred
cars on with a gooseneck up thru SC into the NC mountains without one single incident . Again nothing like the big rigs but nonetheless it was experience in auto transportation . I feel I am up to the challenge but
I cant lie , I am somewhat cautious . When I first learned to fly in a J-3 cub years ago my dad taught me . I was always somewhat nervous . I did take some lessons later from an instructor and he said it was good to always be a bit nervous, he felt that kept me more focused. I am researching this whole carhaul business as much as possible to see if I can even make a living. I believe it is possible to make a good living
but I dont expect to set the world on fire at first . I have been looking at different trucks, trailers and so-forth. I have learned from the ins company that if I use a truck that has no trailer I can go unlimited. As you know most newbies are restricted and I do want the option to go where I can . This may change If I get hooked up with perhaps an auction company or dealers or whatever that are within 300 miles . Then I can look into getting a 7,8,9,10 car hauler. Of coarse this is all speculation but I am hoping to succeed . This is why Iam interested in the 5 car hauler you have probably read about in this thread. I need not
go out and spend 50 to 100 grand on a truck and then it not work out.
I would prefer it be a newer truck but this one may work . I have been looking at the 4 car haulers , which are usually med duty trucks , such as
rollbacks with a headrack . They may be a better option being that this truck probably is lousey on fuel. Anyway I am still researching and checking out leads and have found a few that look promising .
Old 12-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
I have always done my own repairs, engine rebuild, manual trans rebuilds soforth so I feel confident I can fix the problems on the truck.
I am getting some figures together and want some advice on what to expect as far as dead head miles and perhaps what I will average
as far as full loads and less than full loads. Would 25% deadhead miles
and 80% loaded miles be too high , too low?

Being able to do some of your own repairs is critical on an older truck, especially a car hauler. It seems that hoses or cylinders are often in need of repair, and at the most inopportune times.

There are several segments within the car hauling business. POV's (personal vehicles), auctions and/or dealers and new vehicles. Deadheading will vary from one segment to another, but hauling cars usually means a much higher percentage of deadheading than other types of freight. The problem with hauling cars is that is pretty much all you can haul with this type of equipment. With flats or vans, your options are much more varied. I would expect about 25-30% deadhead. The nice thing is that rates are usually higher than other types of freight, so deadheading is easier to absorb.

Quote:

BTW, I must say you have been a pleasure to chat with. I have been on various forums and you are by far the most knowledgable person I have ever dealt with on any subject. I swear you ought to write a book and have it published , no kidding. Every newbie on this site as well as other
sites would benefit greatly as would some experienced drivers I suspect.
TRUCKING 101 BY GMAN !
It is always good to talk with new people with so much enthusiasm. I just try to pass along a little of what I have picked up over the years. Maybe I will do that book one of these days. Thanks for your encouragement.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

To lower deadhead couldn't you put some LTL flatbed freight on there?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sometimes you can, but not always. I found it was usually somewhat difficult to find something on such short notice going where I needed to go. :?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 AM
Board Regular

Gman,the Ltl idea was a question I had thought about. You know I have mentioned the 4 car hauler . Most that I have seen have 28 ft beds . I thought that in a pinch a fellow would have the option to haul different things . Actually the freightliner could haul different things but loading
would be difficult in most cases .Here is a link to a 4 car hauler as I have mentioned
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170174964081
Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Board Regular

I am surprised scoe didn't chime in on this thread. HE works for CJ&M here in the pdx. I did there training program fpr 2 weeks if I remember right and learned alot but the guys running....never mind.
Get ahold of scoe from here and I am sure he has answers for you that most don't about the car hauling biz.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I thought about one of those 4 car rollbacks. You can also buy a trailer to pull a couple more cars later or a dolly for a single vehicle. If you want to do LTL, then I would suggest you take a look at POV's (personal vehicles). You could also do lease cars. Those will often pay more than dealer deliveries and are COD or prepaid in some instances. I think with that type of setup you would probably do better regionally than trying to run 48 states. You could even do salvage cars much easier with the rollback. I think it depends on what market you want to pursue.