Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Oh
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Quoting the article in the Dec. 14th. issue of The Trucker, "The top 12 carriers in the industry now control almost 80% of the freight..."
The key word is CONTROL (not HAUL) so it would stand to reason that alot of that freight finds it's way down to to the smaller carriers after it passes through the big boys hands. So your numbers may be correct.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32

Yeah no problem...I hope I dont get in trouble for posting on here. That would suck!
Well I hope not too and hope you keep posting but just be smart, you know like no personal information like you shop at Albertsons which isn't in every state as far as I know :wink:
Old 12-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:

Yeah no problem...I hope I dont get in trouble for posting on here. That would suck!
Well I hope not too and hope you keep posting but just be smart, you know like no personal information like you shop at Albertsons which isn't in every state as far as I know :wink:
Yeah
Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
There are a number of ways in which statistics can be manipulated.
Boy you aren't lying Gman. I just spend a while this morning researching that commment they we were discussing the other day that Chris Dodd made that 80% of the food we eat is imported and only 1% is checked

I found supposedly that 80% of the seafood we eat is imported which would back up what Sonny said about what he delivers. And supposedly only 1% is checked of imported food but did not find on a total imported amount . But people take one statistic and then it ends up all over the net. I try and verify everything and when I tell people something I always tell them to verify what I'm telling them.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Yeah I know, if I do get fired oh well the pay is awful anyway.
You gotta love disgruntled employees . Just like the big mega truck companies. Pay is bad but they somehow fill the seats. As I've said before those that oppress can't do it without the consent of the oppressed and yet people still submit. But I digress.

Anyway as I sit here in the Georgian sun, if you don't mind, I shall continue with the questions.

As mentioned I started with a guy who hauls exclusively for CH and right away stuff didn't seem right. I didn't like what the broker was doing but I was careful with what I said cause this broker was this guy I was working with exclusive contact and he would have gotten mad if I started.

But anyway, when I realized that I was averaging $1.30 to the broker the broker said that he knew. So for your regulars, maybe not the very big companies, is their a range that you try and keep the rate per mile to?

Also when you are negotiating with the O/O and you ask for thier T number are you pulling up prior rates that they have hauled? I mean if you see a guy went into Florida for $80. (an extreme I know) then you must assume that he will do it again.

Actually I know this is true as I have had brokers tell me that I did something before for a different rate.

What is the general mindset of you or the people in your office when dealing with an O/O? Do you find that most you talk to know what they are talking about? For example the broker told me once that I was getting a good rate out of Florida and that he could get someone to do it for $.75. I asked him how does anyone run a truck for that money and he said he didin't know but they do it.

Generally I guess could you give us kind of what happens and what you are looking at when you are dealing with O/O.

I knew a guy once who did commercial real estate who told me that he hated dealing residential real estate as he found the people in commercial real estate were obviously business people and were easier to deal with. I guess the same when dealing with a big company rather than an O/O.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Rookie

[quote="merrick4"][quote="CHRBROKER32"]

Yeah
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Cheap is different things to different people. Fuel, Maitenance & depreciation/ammortization are similar for everyone. So it depends on what yo need to live.
All things equal, with the way trucking chews up and spits people out, it is advisable for all new entrants to start with a very low cost of living.

That applies double, for anyone considering taking some form of equity interest in a depreciating truck.

It is a game of survival of the fittest.
Here is a 41 second youtube video, of a wedding ceremony. One can only speculate about her childhood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9weC...eature=related

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4

But anyway, when I realized that I was averaging $1.30 to the broker the broker said that he knew. So for your regulars, maybe not the very big companies, is their a range that you try and keep the rate per mile to?
Virtually all of the good paying CHR freight I haul originates from the Chicago office. In my experience, they prefer to deal with flat rates rather than per mile.
One of the tactics I like to use as a starting point is to use the rate from the most recent load I hauled in that lane when I know that it was above average or excellent. Just did a load from L.A. to Denver for them. I pointed out that the last time I ran a CHR load on that lane the rate was $2750. We settled on $2600. If I don't have any recent load history for a particular lane, I will quote the highest realistic number I think I can get away with. I might say something like, "We are currently covering that lane for $2600". I think alot of you guys sell yourselves short. Try being more confident on the the phone with what you want from them. The worst they can do is say "goodbye".

Good questions, merrick4. Carry on!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Trying to fix a spelling error and reposted sorry. By the way thanks Dispatch_this, if nothing else I'm curious. I remember in 6th grade in science class at the start of class everyone use to tell me to ask a question cause I could pretty well tie up a whole class with my questions.

Anyway while while I'm here, CHbroker you said you can see the # of "bounces" , what is a bounce?