User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Well, I would just like to say thanks for posting in here and not running away from all the negative posts. I find your information very informative.

Come on guys, don't shoot the messenger. It's very rare we get one coming in here with such a large company!!

Now, about my $2.00 per mile load leaving NH tomorrow????
Th
Old 12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Rookie

1vcv
Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Gman wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see a breakdown of how many of CHR's loads go to the large carriers compared to the smaller guys. If 80% of freight is hauled by those with 20 or fewer trucks, then there must be a lot of smaller carriers hauling CHR freight.
Gman- I'm not sure those numbers are correct. Just read in The Trucker magazine that the 12 largest carriers haul 80% of the freight.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewbie
Does the shipper or receiver call it a "backhaul" or only the broker?
Oh yeah, the shipper calls it a backhaul and they expect us to give them a lower rate. Sometimes I have to resubmit rates a few times because they dont think we are low enough.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I would like to see a breakdown of how many of CHR's loads go to the large carriers compared to the smaller guys. If 80% of freight is hauled by those with 20 or fewer trucks, then there must be a lot of smaller carriers hauling CHR freight. I haul some of their loads, but not for the rates that have been quoted here. I must be one of the carriers who is paid extra to haul their loads. I appreciate your taking money out of your pocket for us to haul your loads. I have no doubt that there are a lot of cheap loads being booked through CHR. I have seen that with one carrier that I was leased. On the other hand, I would think there are also a lot of decent paying loads being booked. Most of the loads I have taken have paid pretty well. It isn't that I have not been offered cheap loads through them, I just choose not to take them.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="merrick4"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32

She kept putting me on hold as I was negotiating, I don't know why. Maybe checking with another person, maybe running some numbers.
Most likely she was putting you on hold to make you think she was getting approval. Classic sales tactic.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
She kept putting me on hold as I was negotiating, I don't know why. Maybe checking with another person, maybe running some numbers.
-Yeah your rate was probably over what they had the "max" set at and we aren't allowed to pay over the "may buy" without getting with the customer rep first. Sometimes its a pain because the customer reps are in different offices a lot of the time so you have to either send them a message or call them. She also may have been asking people in her office if they had any other options.

Quote:
Sometimes it is amazing what they want to pay. A load from Indiana to Sparks Nevada and she told me $1.20 like that was ok. I mean who the hell would drive over 2000 miles for $1.20 a mile? But I guess these big companies can do exactly what CH does and that is work off of volume.
Thank you very much for the responses, I really appreciate it. I think the above points out something interesting. That you guys won't just take a loss on the load, but will call the customer to get more. I don't know how it is that some you will take the loss or no profit and others you call the customer. I guess you know what the customer will pay or will not pay.

I took a load recently from TQL and the rate I quoted was more, according to him, was more than they were billing the customer and they would have to call the customer to re-price the load. I was telling a friend about it and he said the broker was lying, but the way the broker was talking I felt he was telling the truth. Besides he didn't try and talk me down as I was firm with the price.

Quote:
-Yeah man FL sucks. I dont even talk to the people in the FL branches. I wouldnt take a load from FL to NJ though because you are leaving a dead area and ending up in another dead area. If one of my guys gets stuck in FL I tell them to just try to get into GA or around Memphis.
You see I started out about 5 months ago with a guy who has 11 trucks has been doing this his whole life, drives a Corvette and the wife a Mercedes and within 2 months I realized this leaving Florida to bad areas wasn't going to work. How he is doing it I have no idea. He hauls mostly for CH and out of Florida. And I was billing direct to CH so it wasn't like he was getting a cut. I still just don't understand how he makes it. I will figure it out i assure you.

Well I am emptying in Jacksonville. Things are picking up a bit in South Florida so I will see. For me I am just trying to learn so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for all your responses. And just for clarification for others as to where I am coming from. For all I know this guy doesn't even work for CH (not that I think that) or he could be the CEO of CH (remember a few months ago they busted some CEO of Wild Oats I think on a forum, of course a stock forum but nonetheless he was sitting there posting) so I take all of this for what it is; someone I don't know posting on a public forum. I will take what he writes and see if it matches with what I am seeing or will see out here.

So far I have found all of this very informative and appreciate the replies. Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Rookie

[quote="Bigmon"]
Quote:
Quote:

Most likely she was putting you on hold to make you think she was getting approval. Classic sales tactic.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch_This
Gman wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see a breakdown of how many of CHR's loads go to the large carriers compared to the smaller guys. If 80% of freight is hauled by those with 20 or fewer trucks, then there must be a lot of smaller carriers hauling CHR freight.
Gman- I'm not sure those numbers are correct. Just read in The Trucker magazine that the 12 largest carriers haul 80% of the freight.

I believe it was someone with the ATA who gave me those figures, Dispatch_This. I would like to see the hard numbers and know how they were compiled, on both sides. It would also be interesting to know whether these larger carriers included loads that they brokered in their numbers. Most of them have their own brokerage departments. I would also like to see how they count the loads. If they are including all loads, partials, truck loads, total tonnage or number of loads in their figures. There are a number of ways in which statistics can be manipulated.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks again for all your responses. And just for clarification for others as to where I am coming from. For all I know this guy doesn't even work for CH (not that I think that) or he could be the CEO of CH (remember a few months ago they busted some CEO of Wild Oats I think on a forum, of course a stock forum but nonetheless he was sitting there posting) so I take all of this for what it is; someone I don't know posting on a public forum. I will take what he writes and see if it matches with what I am seeing or will see out here.

So far I have found all of this very informative and appreciate the replies. Thanks again.
Yeah no problem