User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I would think for instance that Walmart trucks are private fleet but those trucks aren't revenue producing trucks I don't think.
I am not sure if they generate any revenue I do know they say Walmarts fleet of trucks is the most organized, efficient fleet in the world. We dont book them on freight. They dont need us.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:38 AM

Here is a link that breaks down trucking company revenue and market share. Check out Heavy Machinery Haulers. Trucker's Express was rated the #3 carrier in 2002 based on market share. 5 years later their out of business...

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=20&gl=us
Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch_This
Here is a link that breaks down trucking company revenue and market share. Check out Heavy Machinery Haulers. Trucker's Express was rated the #3 carrier in 2002 based on market share. 5 years later their out of business...

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=20&gl=us
Wow Dispatch_This! What a link. You know it's funny what you said about Trucker's Express going out of business. I heard something once to the effect of if you were in the 80's or 70's looking at companies on the Dow Jones Industrial Average list thinking it was safe to invest as they are listed, well some of those companies are now gone. Woolworth is one that comes to mind. I forget the others. Great link though.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Private fleets generate revenue the same way for-hire carriers do...they haul freight. Just because s company manufactures its own product it doesn't mean they don't allocate a portion of their budget for shipping. Many times the fleet operates as a subsidiary and bills the parent company for the service. Rank would be a good one to ask as that's exactly what his trucks are. Although I get the sense that a small company like that probably just treats the fleet as a cost. My guess is that the revenue numbers for private fleets as a whole is skewed simply because different companies account for their fleets differently. But maybe the carrier census has taken that into account and uses a standardized metric.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32
But anyway not all of our customers have year round rates set in place. NONE of my custys have year round rates. They just call me when they need a load shipped and I give them a "spot market" rate. Most of the time they will call me around 11AM with a load they need picked up that day by 5pm so I will ask the person whos zone the load is going to if they have any options and if not what it will take to get a truck in there by 5.
Very very informative this last post of yours. I was going to shut off the computer but seems like each response brings about more questions.

Anyway, I have wondered about this. For instance I was under the impression you guys had a few days to move the load. Seems like sometimes the same load is sitting on the board for a few days. Of course it could be just a regular run. Definitely you guys have the upper hand. I mean if you promise the load by 5PM and it's 2PM, I don't know if you NEED to get it moved NOW or can wait til the next day. Seems to me that it's imposible to get the upper hand on my end which is why I think it must be best to get my own customers so I know all the information.

Quote:
- The only thing we have to go by is they tell us a driver can legally drive about 500 miles a day. As of log books, how many hrs straight you can legally drive, when you have to do a "reset?" Most of us dont know how that works. I dont. But I dont try to push anyone.
Was that 500 miles a day just an example of one load or did you mean that was what your told that can be driven in one day generally?

Quote:
- I have these stupid goals I have to meet and if I dont they will kick me to the curb. It does kind of suck to work for a company that so many people hate. To be honest I never knew people hated us until I looked at the message boards last week and I have been at Robinson over 2 years! Everyone I talk to sound like they like us so I had no clue.
When you say goals, do you mean new business? Kept within a percentage of whatever you have as a "max?" rate? Loads without problems? You mentioned you were on salary, what is the incentive to maintain goals (besides not losing your job)?

As for thinking everyone loved you guys, well I assume CH builds up that atmosphere. I mean as you say, they overwork and underpay so they have to do something. All that "let's go team" and "you are part of something big" is just a motivational thing. I always saw through that and that's why I could never just go along with things. It's been rough let me tell you :roll:

As always, thanks again this has been quite interesting to say the least.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Private fleets generate revenue the same way for-hire carriers do...they haul freight. Just because s company manufactures its own product it doesn't mean they don't allocate a portion of their budget for shipping. Many times the fleet operates as a subsidiary and bills the parent company for the service. Rank would be a good one to ask as that's exactly what his trucks are. Although I get the sense that a small company like that probably just treats the fleet as a cost. My guess is that the revenue numbers for private fleets as a whole is skewed simply because different companies account for their fleets differently. But maybe the carrier census has taken that into account and uses a standardized metric.
I was thinking the same thing NW, that they must account differently. Interesting though.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 AM
Rookie