User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Cheap is different things to different people. Fuel, Maitenance & depreciation/ammortization are similar for everyone. So it depends on what yo need to live.
All things equal, with the way trucking chews up and spits people out, it is advisable for all new entrants to start with a very low cost of living.

That applies double, for anyone considering taking some form of equity interest in a depreciating truck.

It is a game of survival of the fittest.
Here is a 41 second youtube video, of a wedding ceremony. One can only speculate about her childhood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9weC...eature=related
Old 12-09-2007, 05:06 AM
Board Regular

Double Post
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32
Our big customers will send us other companies rate matrix's that haul directly for them. Like Hunt, Celedon etc and those guys are getting a lot better rates than we are. Maybe its because they drop trailers and commit to x amount of freight
What kind of rates are we talking about? For example for your $1.20 "backhaul" can you give us an example off the top of your head what you have seen they are paying one of the big companies on a comparable load? $1.70 , $1.80?

I think I read in one of Swifts financials before they went private that they were averaging $1.65 per mile but that did not include FSC. Which means that if they are taking $1.20 a mile from CH then they more than $2 per mile including FSC on these big accounts.

In the end it doesn't matter what the big companies are making cause I don't have thousands of trucks pulling in small amounts which adds up to one big amount. But I would like a basis point to know how to negotiate better for myself and a better understanding of the whole system.

I am actually on a CH load right now and I picked up at one of these big logistics warehouse where there were a lot of dropped trailers. They wanted to pay me $1.79 for loaded miles but I got $2.07.

She kept putting me on hold as I was negotiating, I don't know why. Maybe checking with another person, maybe running some numbers.

Sometimes it is amazing what they want to pay. A load from Indiana to Sparks Nevada and she told me $1.20 like that was ok. I mean who the hell would drive over 2000 miles for $1.20 a mile? But I guess these big companies can do exactly what CH does and that is work off of volume.

That only goes to reinforce what is said here a million times, that we can't compete with the big companies.

I was talking with a CH rep once and she was telling me that she had a load she couldn't move. It was going from Naples, Fl I think to New Jersey. The conversation shifted but I wanted to ask why she didn't just raise the rate.

I think on this load I could have gotten more cause she seemed like they needed to move it but she was fighting for every dollar.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Well, I would just like to say thanks for posting in here and not running away from all the negative posts. I find your information very informative.

Come on guys, don't shoot the messenger. It's very rare we get one coming in here with such a large company!!

Now, about my $2.00 per mile load leaving NH tomorrow????
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Also you said you get emails from the people in the big companies that tell you their available trucks and where they want to go and you match them up. Is there negotiating on the rate?
Forgot something...I also have a few private fleets (15-30 trucks) that I get backhauls for. They send me a list on Monday of their available trucks for the week. They just tell me what city/day they will be empty and I just look on the board and try to find them something to get them back home. Those guys are usually happy with $1.20/mile and then I try to get them $1.00/mile on deadhead miles. They arent trying to make money off our loads, they just dont want to drive home empty.
You are a " EFFFIN " JOKE with those rates. Go sell your BS to people who are stoopid enough to buy your crap !!!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Does the shipper or receiver call it a "backhaul" or only the broker?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Board Regular

I was on percentage for a mid size regional truckload carrier
who also had Teamster drivers
Who had to be paid
I saw the rates on every move
What CHR is absolutely true
They would take anything to keep the truck loaded
To get back to thier shippers
The load planners /dispatchers would be in deep doo doo
To send a truck back empty
Old 12-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would like to see a breakdown of how many of CHR's loads go to the large carriers compared to the smaller guys. If 80% of freight is hauled by those with 20 or fewer trucks, then there must be a lot of smaller carriers hauling CHR freight. I haul some of their loads, but not for the rates that have been quoted here. I must be one of the carriers who is paid extra to haul their loads. I appreciate your taking money out of your pocket for us to haul your loads. I have no doubt that there are a lot of cheap loads being booked through CHR. I have seen that with one carrier that I was leased. On the other hand, I would think there are also a lot of decent paying loads being booked. Most of the loads I have taken have paid pretty well. It isn't that I have not been offered cheap loads through them, I just choose not to take them.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 PM

While rates of 1.00 and 1.20 a mile may be a joke, they are what they are and somebody is moving freight for these rates. He's just telling it like it is.

Anybody who has spent any time on the load boards knows this to be fact. Plenty of freight to be hauled for cheap and it gets moved. Those of us who refuse to move it because we understand how much it actually costs us to operate are apparently in the minority.

It takes time and negotiation to secure the higher paying freight which is something that a lot of truckers aren't willing to do. They also may simply not be capable of understanding why it is important to know what your cost per mile is and to only run freight which will be profitable.

I know several truckers who are leased on and they have no idea how much money they are making. They base their profitability on how big a paycheck they get at the end of the week. They can't understand how to compute their rate even when I explain it to them. Flip back and forth from company to company based on company sales pitches and word of mouth from other OO's.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
What kind of rates are we talking about? For example for your $1.20 "backhaul" can you give us an example off the top of your head what you have seen they are paying one of the big companies on a comparable load? $1.70 , $1.80?