Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

LOL, broker miles...gotta luv 'em :lol:
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Steve, it sounds like you have a great contact at USX. She sounds like she has her ducks in a row. Don't be afraid to ask for a higher rate if needed. I promise you, she is making USXs' margin or she wouldn't be booking the load. Do you know what division she works in? I drove for an O/O leased to their Xpress Direct division. That division is VERY good at ferretting (sp) loads that HAVE to move ASAP. The best paying ones were with the smaller mom/pop operations. Most of those loads were in the 5 to 7 dollar per mile range. Yes, you read that right. $5.00 to $7.00 PER MILE!
The GREAT thing is most of these loads were over 1000 miles. The best one was a load from Macon, Ga. to Alvin, Tx. That one paid 7.25/mi.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I'm heading out in a bit to Oregon delivering farm equipment..
Hey I know western US is not my lane, but isn't that the wrong way?

I know....anywhere but here. Just kidding good luck be safe.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Steve, ICCI has a reputation for having cheap freight. They used to call me a lot but I would never haul any of their loads. They take a big chunk of the line haul when they book a load. According to one shipper I know, they take a minimum of 30%. My shipper checked them once. I make a point of checking the mileage before I commit to any load. Sometimes people make a mistake, but other times they just don't care. :x
Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Where ya goin in OR??

well, everythig happens for a reason so maybe you just were not supposed to go there.

Be careful and we will talk to ya soon....

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I was told the mileage was 1800 miles and the rate worked out ok. As I'm getting closer to the pick up point I type in Pittsburgh PA on my GPS and it's saying 2200 miles and still counting as I'm heading in the opposite direction to pick up the load.

I pull over and say what the Hell. I get out my calculator and my laptop and find out it's almost 2300 miles.

Quote:
I then tell him to shove a MAC truck up his butt.
Such a businessman: doesn't confirm what he is told by a broker before accepting a load, and then whines about it after the fact. :roll:
Old 11-03-2007, 02:54 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Its so amazing to me each and every time i read Steve's very entertaining thread that some people just absolutely can not stand that this guy is doing something he legitimately enjoys doing without losing money. There are 2 or 3 people on this board with superiority complexes as businessmen so big that I cant beleive they can fit themselves in their trucks. Get over it. Steve is doing something he realy is enjoying doing and apparently living comfortably and making a profit. Why does this bother people so bad? Dont be mad because you dont enjoy your job. Dont be mad because he doesnt do business like you. There are alot of successful businesses and business people that would not be out there if they did stuff like everyone else. Just from reading all of steves posts over time, he also seems like the kind of guy that even if he ends up failing, he would probably rather be a crappy businessman rather than just a plain crappy person with a shitty attitude like a few of you.

I say keep doing what you are doing and keep posting, I for one have enjoyed following your adventures and your story.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
Its so amazing to me each and every time i read Steve's very entertaining thread that some people just absolutely can not stand that this guy is doing something he legitimately enjoys doing without losing money. There are 2 or 3 people on this board with superiority complexes as businessmen so big that I cant beleive they can fit themselves in their trucks. Get over it. Steve is doing something he realy is enjoying doing and apparently living comfortably and making a profit. Why does this bother people so bad? Dont be mad because you dont enjoy your job. Dont be mad because he doesnt do business like you. There are alot of successful businesses and business people that would not be out there if they did stuff like everyone else. Just from reading all of steves posts over time, he also seems like the kind of guy that even if he ends up failing, he would probably rather be a crappy businessman rather than just a plain crappy person with a shitty attitude like a few of you.

I say keep doing what you are doing and keep posting, I for one have enjoyed following your adventures and your story.

AMEN!! :P

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 11-03-2007, 04:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber

Where does one begin..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

For one, Stevie has no idea what his cpm is, or even, what if any profit he makes. He has no clue and has even stated so.... Keep reading, and I along with others will point out the glaring errors so that others who wish to become an O/O will not mimic his hobby.

To be successful in this biz, one has to completely comprehend all aspects of their business, Not just think you are making money beacause you have a few dollars in your pocket and a couple of checks waiting for you when you get home.

One also needs stick with a particular aspect such as flatbeding (which stevie has), HHG, Reefer, OD/OS etc... and become the best in that arena. Don't jump around hauling one thing then get bored and try to specialize in something else etc.... This will get one nowhere.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Where does one begin..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

For one, Stevie has no idea what his cpm is, or even, what if any profit he makes. He has no clue and has even stated so.... Keep reading, and I along with others will point out the glaring errors so that others who wish to become an O/O will not mimic his hobby.

To be successful in this biz, one has to completely comprehend all aspects of their business, Not just think you are making money beacause you have a few dollars in your pocket and a couple of checks waiting for you when you get home.

One also needs stick with a particular aspect such as flatbeding (which stevie has), HHG, Reefer, OD/OS etc... and become the best in that arena. Don't jump around hauling one thing then get bored and try to specialize in something else etc.... This will get one nowhere.
Okay, BigDiesel, let me quote your 5 other posts from this thread and all of the help you've offered.

Quote:
A great business decision..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:
Thats easy to do with one of my Shippers !!! But you don't run reefer and you RELY on brokers for your " profitable " hobby.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:
Stevie.... C'mon what are your rates from the Rose City... I don't know jack about flatbed, but I could get you and your tourist cheerleaders $2.00+FSC by opening the yellow pages..... Listen to the Rev, GMAN and even myself if you want to make real money.....
Quote:
Sigh...... Pro tourists and hobby truckers..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Quote:
One has to remember that some hobby truckers, pro tourists, people who spend way to much on a truck and will never see a return their money, will never make any real money int his business........
Looks to me as if you're sniping and condescending, not pointing out errors that Steve is making. But that's okay. 5 posts and MAYBE the last one has any kind of help for someone just starting out.
Closed Thread