User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Andy
Merrick, I understand your loathing of the sales profession. Many people cannot stomach it. But if your product, service, or rate is something that can help your prospect, you should never feel like you are in a asking, or begging position. You are not. You are calling on them to see if you can help THEM and make THEM more money by using YOU.

Keep that as your perspective and your cold calling approach becomes a lot easier.

The best salesmen that I've seen in action are courteous, to the point, direct, clear, and ask for the business at the end of a short pitch, as they are busy professionals who must keep a schedule. If the person is interested, this is all they need, and will respond. If not, call on them later, and thank them.

Personally, I love challenges that seem impossible, and sales is a lot like hunting, and you will strike out many times, and win a few times. Plan on it, learn from it, and remember, even if 10 people say NO, you are not a failure, and will find an inner compelling motivation to get that next company to say YES.

Warning though, sales can become addictive and highly profitable.
Gotta find what is the acceptial Rate cpm to tell your prospective new client I would think. Or what are you comfi with taking loads. I know you have taken loads for 1.25/1.30 pm and GMan says he won't even move his truck for less than 2.00 pm. So what does the broker need for his service? What came first. Truck, Broker or Load?

Without the Load we don't need the other two.

And I agree you should not take Cheap Loads nor should the Broker do it for nothing.

IMHO
Old 12-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Every large trucking company is selling capacity to the shipper and preaching service to the driver. In your company you are the driver and you believe in service, so now sell it to the customer. As I type this I remembered you are bilingual. You should recruit some hispanics/cubans (whatever nationalities are in South Florida (i'm not trying to be racist)) who are drivers and offer them the opportunity to become owner operators under your authority and then you can sell service and more capacity. I have an O/O from south Georgia who speaks very little English. I've been using a program that converts english to spanish to communicate with this guy. I arrogantly tell him he has to improve his english, but really i could care less, he is safe and provides on-time service.
I like they way you put things Load It. I remember reading the company handbook for LCT and they were going on about service yet they had an on time rate of about 74% if I remember correctly. You are right they sell capacity and preach customer service to the drivers whom they will leave sitting there for days with no work and obviously no pay. I think changes are coming, anyone see about that overtime issue for drivers in Washington?

Anyway as for the bilingual things, I've already been collecting numbers. This definitely something I will be looking into. However I'm not ready to do that. I could take on someone else and even go get another truck but I need to take my time right now and set up work. If and when I take someone on I will consider that a responsiblity to that person. Right now I'm moving around trying to find my place and I do not have the pressures I would have trying to keep a driver moving and with a decent paycheck. Also I don't have 2 years on my CDL and my insurance costs are extremely high (a bit over $14,000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Andy
Merrick, I understand your loathing of the sales profession. Many people cannot stomach it. But if your product, service, or rate is something that can help your prospect, you should never feel like you are in a asking, or begging position. You are not. You are calling on them to see if you can help THEM and make THEM more money by using YOU.

Keep that as your perspective and your cold calling approach becomes a lot easier.
Actually I've been told that I would make a good salesman because when I belive in something I get excited and go ranting about it. So you're point is well taken because in truth what I would be offering, good serive, is something I truly believe I am offering.

Even with these brokers, they seem to remember me. I had an issue with billing with TQL recently and I had to call all brokers for all the loads I did and they all remembered me. They have told me after finishing loads that it has been a pleasure working with me.

But even all that I still don't like sales. I know it's not rational but it's like phobias and as I like to say you can't ratonalize the irrational

However as I've mentioned before though I don't like sales, I don't like relying on brokers so I will be doing the sales calls. One thing I'm wondering though, this shipper I called the other day seemed eager to give me work. I'm wondering what the catch is. I mean why is the guy I was working with who has 11 trucks running off of Ch Robinson? It wasn't that hard to find the shipper. Why isn't he offering his trucks to these people?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
One thing I'm wondering though, this shipper I called the other day seemed eager to give me work. I'm wondering what the catch is. I mean why is the guy I was working with who has 11 trucks running off of Ch Robinson? It wasn't that hard to find the shipper. Why isn't he offering his trucks to these people?
There is no catch. He has product to ship, he needs YOUR truck. The guy with the 11 trucks has NEVER, EVER cold called a shipper that's why he is a slave to CHR and all the other brokers he relies on. Brokers are very useful (not to pat myself on the back), but you shouldnt build your business around broker loads. Also, why do you think brokers dont want you to back solicit? They know the shipper will load you and cut them out of the picture.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
One thing I'm wondering though, this shipper I called the other day seemed eager to give me work. I'm wondering what the catch is. I mean why is the guy I was working with who has 11 trucks running off of Ch Robinson? It wasn't that hard to find the shipper. Why isn't he offering his trucks to these people?
There is no catch. He has product to ship, he needs YOUR truck. The guy with the 11 trucks has NEVER, EVER cold called a shipper that's why he is a slave to CHR and all the other brokers he relies on. Brokers are very useful (not to pat myself on the back), but you shouldnt build your business around broker loads. Also, why do you think brokers dont want you to back solicit? They know the shipper will load you and cut them out of the picture.
You sure have a way of putting things. You know what I get from you, it's like when things become clear and you are trying to tell someone how to do something which is very easy but they are reluctant to do it. You know you just want to yell at them, HEY IT'S NOT THAT HARD JUST DO WHAT I'M TELLING YOU. I am actually constantly doing that as people do foolish things and you show them the way and they still do foolish things. And it's frustrating that they don't listen and then suffer the consequences for it.

So yes I am fighting you that it can't be that easy to just cold call and if it was really that easy everyone would do it. But I still am going to do it, cause what really is the worst that can happen? I know the alternative is that I am stuck to working for someone else who just happened to make that same cold call.

Anyway thanks for all your help and I will drive by and get that tomato info tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
yes I am fighting you that it can't be that easy to just cold call ............ But I still am going to do it.
AHHHH Grasshopper, you are a good student...you will go far. :P :P :P
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Also, why do you think brokers dont want you to back solicit? They know the shipper will load you and cut them out of the picture.
Boy Load it, you aint a just kiddin there.

But always be respectful of the existing broker/shipper relationship, if you do decide to solicit.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
There is no catch. He has product to ship, he needs YOUR truck. The guy with the 11 trucks has NEVER, EVER cold called a shipper that's why he is a slave to CHR and all the other brokers he relies on.
I hate to be the guy who says X2..but X2

Loadit has some really good advice. Don't be afraid of the cold call. Be friendly and polite, don't interrupt. Just doing that will put you ahead of 90% of truckers.

If nothing else just think of how nice it will be once you have your own "headhaul"

Disclaimer=There is no such thing as a head-haul or a back-haul, just freight that needs to move from point a to point b.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

I called the guy I use to work with today as I picked up the truck and wanted to park it near my house so I could load out tomorrow. (I must say I love being out there but today I got back in the truck and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. Hell it was 85 here today )

Anyway I asked why he doesn't have contracts with local shippers. He said he doesn't want them because once the season is over you will be stuck with nothing and CH Robinson keeps him rolling all year.

I mentioned I was talking about the produce suppliers that bring in stuff from the port. He mentioned that if he gets stuck with a load gone bad, CH will have it sold within two hours and he can move on as they have large resources. By yourself it's harder to get rid of the stuff. This was a good point and I hadn't thought of that.

However I persisted with the questions and he then said the magic words:
"I am not a salesman and don't want to be one by calling on these shippers".

LoadIt, I don't know who you are or why you are here dispensing advice but when he said those word all I could think of was the following:

Quote:
The guy with the 11 trucks has NEVER, EVER cold called a shipper that's why he is a slave to CHR and all the other brokers he relies on. .
So I believe in what you say Load It. All this will take time but I am slowly finding my way. And again I don't know why people like you and GMAN and others take the time to help us out that need it, but it is much appreciated.

The lights on the trailer weren't covered by warranty. They said that a tree caught the wires up top. That didn't make sense, are the wires along the top of the trailer on the outside? They put on the crossfire things for me so that's taken care of and tomorrow I'm back out. I hate to leave this weather but a day in the truck and I'll be back to normal.

A big pain in the a** getting the truck. Drive down to miami, pick up the truck and drive back to Broward. Get someone to pick me up and back to Miami to get my car. Some of you guys that park at your house, well that must be a nice feeling.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Anyway I asked why he doesn't have contracts with local shippers. He said he doesn't want them because once the season is over you will be stuck with nothing and CH Robinson keeps him rolling all year.
Have you ever heard someone say CH Robinson wouldnt load them :?:

Quote:
I mentioned I was talking about the produce suppliers that bring in stuff from the port. He mentioned that if he gets stuck with a load gone bad, CH will have it sold within two hours and he can move on as they have large resources. By yourself it's harder to get rid of the stuff. This was a good point and I hadn't thought of that.
Not a good position to be in, thats why you have to be on-time with produce, it isnt that the load went bad, youre 2 days late and they bought another load from someone else yesterday. Be on-time, pulp your loads, and ask shipper what temp he wants the reefer to maintain.

Quote:

LoadIt, I don't know who you are or why you are here dispensing advice but when he said those word all I could think of was the following:

Quote:
The guy with the 11 trucks has NEVER, EVER cold called a shipper that's why he is a slave to CHR and all the other brokers he relies on. .
So I believe in what you say Load It. All this will take time but I am slowly finding my way. And again I don't know why people like you and GMAN and others take the time to help us out that need it, but it is much appreciated.
I dont make my living posting on this board, I make it running trucks at a profit and I give advice, shipper contacts, etc because its good to be around people in this industry that arent just interested in long hoods, stretched frames and chicken lights. I would like to see ALL O/O's succeed and understand what it takes to be successful, I learn new things in this business every day and I just pass it on. I WISH more people would listen, but I'm satisfied with 1 or 2 (not 2 the board member ). I hate it when guys call me and say" I sure should have listened to you", actually a guy left me last week Thursday and he called about 3 hours ago asking to come back. Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="merrick4"]

Merrick,

Ask the guy if he's married. If he says yes, tell him he's a lot better salesman than he thinks......... He asked his wife to get married and she said yes. That's selling.

:lol:

Tags
read