LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Quote:
I just through out a number though I do check truckloadrate.com.
Do you guys that use truckloadrate.com also put your rates back into the system? I'm not sure how they get their rate data but I would think they are only as good as the data coming in to them.
No I don't add the rates. I think they only go off of big companies. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it seems in line with what I can get out of them (in my short time).

You know I was just talking with my friend. He paid about $200,000 to have his own authority by buying out a couple of businesses. He had authority in I guess 29 states hauling horses. He was telling me that the rates were set by a tariff and he got to charge $1.50 a mile. He had the same problems that people have now with drivers (I actually remember one of his drivers was all whacked out on drugs and went 70mph into the Mass Pike toll booth) but he use to put them up in a hotel. He looked in my truck which is just a cheap fleet truck and was amazed at what they look like now. I asked him about getting direct loads from shippers and the first thing he said is it's hard with one truck.

Of course he hauled horses but he said people would call up and want 5 trucks at once as they wanted all the horses to travel together. Anyway then of course getting people to pay was a big problem. Esepcially in the race horse business where people are either up or down.

I tell you, this guy is 67 years old, has all the money that he needs and still gets up and goes to work. Of course it's his own company so I guess that's not really work. I think a lot of us in the newer generation want everything quicker. I don't want to wait til I'm 67 to have that relaxed look but everything comes in due time I guess.

Hey No_worries do you find when you squeeze these brokers that in the midst of setting everything up they get a call from someone to do it cheaper and cancel? I feel this is unethical. I mean I could get a call after too and get a better load but once I agree then I will stick to it.

No_worries, excuse me for asking but I'm curious about this teaming thing. Though I would never ever do it myself I'm still curious. Did you always team? If I had someone I could trust and get along with (and actually I do and in the future there will be more on him) I would buy a 2nd truck and then have a better inflow of cash. I mean if one truck is down the other one will still be running. I'm just curious on why you team that is if you feel like sharing that.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Internet Truckstop lists about 3 times more reefer loads than trucks posted right now. Supply and demand at work? Hope the rates keep up for all!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewbie
Internet Truckstop lists about 3 times more reefer loads than trucks posted right now. Supply and demand at work? Hope the rates keep up for all!
But that all depends where you are too. 1000 loads where I am not isn't going to bode well. I was going to go home but if there's work....
Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM

Ooops, forgot to include the 3:1 is California today.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewbie
But that all depends where you are too. 1000 loads where I am not isn't going to bode well. I was going to go home but if there's work....
Where are you today?? Is your wagon a 53?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Let me clarify, I don't consider what I did with the TQL guy as squeezing.

TQL: I have a couple loads, would you consider going to MD or NJ?
Me: We'll go anywhere if the money's right.
TQL: Well, we were looking at about $5500.
Me: That's not even close, I'd really rather not waste your or my time.
TQL: What would it take?
Me: The last time I moved a load to MD for you guys it was $6500. If you
think you can work in that neighborhood, I'll be happy to run the
numbers and call you back within 5 minutes.
TQL: I don't know if I can go that high, but let me know what it'll take.
Me: (5 minutes later) $6750
TQL: I'll have to check and see if we can go that high, I'll call you back.

He called back and said they could do it, I said too late. That's about the extent of most of my negotiating. Very rarely do I actually haggle. I tell them it will probably be more expensive then what they're trying to get and throw out a ballpark number. If they're still interested I'll work the number (assuming it's not a no-brainer) and call them right back.

As far as brokers giving away loads during the negotiation, they often don't call back after I quote them. There have been a few occasions where I was talking with a broker and during the conversation was told that someone else just moved it. These type of things don't bother me. I've never had a broker back out after a confirmation has been sent. If they did it wouldn't bother me too much. If it would put me in a bind I include a TONU clause, although I really haven't worried about it much lately. If they find someone cheaper, good for them. Not everyone can afford us
:lol:

I never back out of a load. I gave TQL 15 minutes to get back to me. During that time I fielded several calls. After 15 minutes I considered us in play again since all they were doing was finding out if they could meet my rate. If they needed a truck that bad they should be able to get an answer fast. I actually almost didn't do this current load because the broker was slow getting me a confirmation. I usually allow 30 minutes before I put us back on the market. His came in with a minute to spare. I'm not real tolerant of inefficiency :roll:

I'd be happy to answer any questions about teaming. The short answer to why I'm doing it now...it's my fiance :lol:
Old 11-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I kind of figured it must be a fiance or something but my hat's off to you. Never in a million years could I do it.

Actually I didn't mean squeeze in a negative way. Obviously I've only been loading myself for a couple of weeks so I know I know nothing but a broker gets up in the morning just like most others to do one thing; make money. I have no problem with that. If they can get someone to haul it for $.80 a mile then they would, so the way I see it, they want to give it to me cause nobody else will do it. Thus as I get up in the morning with the same goal, to make money, then I want a decent rate myself.

Obviously if I had a working relationship with someone then that would be quite different.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Merrick, not sure if you have automatic deposit with TQL but it's really nice. Once they get your invoice they scan it in for you to see and post the date your deposit will be made. It's kind of nice to know that you can stay out longer if your running low on money and come that date you'll have more!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh yes definitely am signed up with the automatic deposit. But I of course have the wife at home to deposit checks when they come. Also I am a big user of credit so I can stay out for a long time. Seems like except for the one night I got home that I have been out for a long time now and really want to stay out. It kind of stinks that I live so far down in South Florida as to go home means hard to get out.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I didn't think you meant it negatively, I assumed you were talking about hard-nosed negotiating. I just don't do that very often. I tell them I'm usually more expensive than most, if they still want a quote I'm happy to give it to them and that's usually the extent of it. I know a lot of guys take the position that the market is what it is and you have to do what you can within those parameters. My take has always been a little different. I expect a certain rate for my service regardless. If the market becomes such that my service is no longer valued where I think it should be, it's time to cash it in and do something else. Just makes for some long vacations sometimes :lol:

If you happen to be heading south, we'll be in Charlotte Monday and Tuesday. I have to sample the "Best Chinese Buffet in Charlotte."

Tags
read