Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
you dirty rotton sob....i sat for 3 days, along with others
What can I say??maybe I am just better looking than you.......... :lol: :lol:

on a serious note though, I will say that a "storm" is brewing and something better give real soon.....I'll explain in more detail later.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
you dirty rotton sob....i sat for 3 days, along with others
What can I say??maybe I am just better looking than you.......... :lol: :lol:

on a serious note though, I will say that a "storm" is brewing and something better give real soon.....I'll explain in more detail later.
Don't tease us like that!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564

I don't think it's a good idea to get into all the details, but it had to do with a time sensitive issue I need to deal with at home. Something I have been telling them about since I started orientation.

As of this morning, it looked as if the great relationship between Davis and I were going south real quick.......but alas, the storm has been down graded to a tropical storm and then it dissipated.

I am currently in Eugene, OR where I am expected to swap out my loaded trailer for an empty with another driver tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564

I don't think it's a good idea to get into all the details, but it had to do with a time sensitive issue I need to deal with at home. Something I have been telling them about since I started orientation.

As of this morning, it looked as if the great relationship between Davis and I were going south real quick.......but alas, the storm has been down graded to a tropical storm and then it dissipated.

I am currently in Eugene, OR where I am expected to swap out my loaded trailer for an empty with another driver tomorrow.
Well I'm glad they're making an effort. Hopefully this was just a glitch and it won't happen again. Sounds like Davis is a good company, but I'm sure things get overlooked.

Eugene is a nice town. Probably a little cooler than it is down here too.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:02 AM

what they didnt tel you was that you hafta reload it tommorrow am, then run all 800 miles of cali, get to texas and deliver on monday...lol

ok im kidding

you really got to keep reminding them of impending home time...at least i did when i drove a green truck, givem time it will get better as they get to know you more
Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
what they didnt tel you was that you hafta reload it tommorrow am, then run all 800 miles of cali, get to texas and deliver on monday...lol

ok im kidding

you really got to keep reminding them of impending home time...at least i did when i drove a green truck, givem time it will get better as they get to know you more
trust me, I have been but ther's a little more to it......but all is good (for now)
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

08/28-29/07
I made decent time as I headed over to Madras, OR where I was 30 minutes early for my appointment time.

As I waited to be loaded, I started figuring a few things out and did not care for the results. You see, since I started orientation I have been telling everyone and their brother there at Davis that no matter what I HAVE to be home by a certain time. This is not an appointment that can be changed as it concerns my retirement from the Navy. One of the many issues that must be taken care of is our (family and I) military ID cards. They expire on the 8th of September and if they are not updated by then, my wife, who works on the Air Force Base there in San Antonio would not be able to access the base and therefore would not be able to go to work.

I had my truck manager put me in the “computer” to be home on or about the 31st of August. That gives plenty of leeway as I am fully aware of how this industry works. Over the past couple of weeks I have been giving “friendly reminders” almost daily to everyone there at Davis about my home time. I was consistently reassured that it’s no problem and I’ll be home in plenty of time.

Well as I sat there in Madras and was looking over the calendar, I started to get a little concerned about it. I called my truck manager and expressed my concern only to be reassured that the Iowa office will make sure I was home in time. I decided to call the Iowa dispatcher to give him a heads up as to what my situation was. I will not get into the details of our conversation, but I will say that he said even if I was to unload on Friday the 31st, AND Monday was not a holiday, he would be hard pressed to find me something that would head toward my home. That is NOT what I wanted to hear. Now I am really concerned and the more I sat there alone thinking about it, the more upset I got.

Several calls later to various people, (some of which I just need to vent on), things started to work out. I was to go ahead and load there in Madras and then run it to Eugene, OR where there was a driver on some time off and I was to swap my loaded trailer for his empty one. Then I was to pick up a load right there in Eugene that was going to San Antonio, TX. Whew………..things DID work out after all (of course it was partly due to all my bitching and moaning and the fact that there are some very awesome people there at Davis that I am sure jumped through a hundred hoops to accommodate me).

I got to Eugene and the following morning called in for my instructions. Well to my disappointment, I was told to sit tight as the load to San Antonio was canceled by the customer. After a few hours of checking in, I was told to go ahead with the trailer swap and to head back up to Tacoma, WA to pick up a load going to Columbia Falls, MT. Once I drop that load I am to head down the road to Whitefish, MT and pick up a load going to Houston, TX. So whew…things managed to work out. Again, I know it was due to many people jumping through hoops to accommodate me.

Although there was a short time when I thought my relationship with Davis was going sour, I now realize that they are in deed concerned about their drivers and have come true to their word. I know there is at least one person there at Davis that reads my journal (maybe more??) and I want to “publicly” say THANKS to all of you that made this happen. I am sure things will be smooth sailing from here on out……well at least I am hopeful it will be! :wink:

P.S. I was asked a while back what my empty weight was and at the time did not know. After my trailer swap and filling up, I scaled and with a full tank of fuel and an empty deck, my weight is 30,500lbs.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

08/30/07
By the time I got up to Tacoma from Eugene and loaded, the day was pretty much shot and I was only able to make it to a rest area off I-90 (mm-242) in Washington. I got up this morning and ran non stop to the customer in Columbia Falls, MT with the exception of one fuel stop in the late morning.

The load I just got off was what I like to think as an “ideal load” because it was low on the deck and perfectly squared which made it a breeze to strap and tarp. The only thing was that it was heavy, some 47,000lbs and change which in turn shot my fuel economy while climbing all these mountains.

Tomorrow I will be picking up from a plant that is about 10 minutes down the road in White Fish, MT and will carry me through the weekend to Houston, TX for a Tuesday delivery. From Houston I will be heading home to the San Antonio area for a few days off.

My pay for this week was a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet one as I netted over a grand off those 2 runs I had. Wish it was like that every week.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:31 AM

im glad to see it all worked out in the end

enjoy your time off, and have fun being a retiree...lol
Old 08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Board Icon

Sounds good. Always interesting, devildice.

http://watsonsysco.com/