User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
Nice truck DD. Did you ever go after the place you bought the truck from for the money you spent on the turbo and manifold repair ? 8)
thanks....and yes I did, I explained to them in the most politically correct way I could that I felt they should reimburse me for the repair. I am awaiting a reply.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Rookie

I responded to your PM, but it isn't showing up in my sent folder, so not sure if you got it or not.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

01/30-02/01/08
I got a load from Indianapolis, IN with 3 drops in Wichita, KS, Kent, WA, and finals in Sumner, WA. It was more of a deadhead than I wanted, but with the storm coming in, I didn’t want to risk sitting in PA too long.

I got to the customer 2 hours before my scheduled appointment time and was pleased when they said they were ready to load me. I wanted to get loaded and beat feet as far as I could (heading directly into the storm) before shutting down.

As I left Indianapolis, it was overcast but dry out. As I got into Illinois, the sun was shining and the temp was in the mid 40’s. I suspected that this was the “calm before the storm” and sure enough it was. About mid way across IL the snow flurries started. By the time I was in Saint Louis, the snow was coming down good but the roads were still fine. When I reached Columbia, MO it was absolutely crappy out. You could not see more than 100 yards ahead and the roads were ice and snow covered to the point that you could not tell were the road ended and the shoulder started.

I only planned on going as far as Concordia, MO and now was not sure I would make it that far. This was some of the most intense driving I have had this winter. Everyone was creeping along at about 35mph and all I wanted to find was a place I could park and hunker down for the night. But there was nothing except the off ramps and they were already fully. I pressed on with the hopes that the next mile would yield somewhere to park, but nothing. Before I knew it, there was my exit in Concordia……I made it!! It took over 7 hours to get from Saint Louis to Concordia.

I took a steaming hot shower, hooked up to IdleAir and called it a night. When I awoke the next morning, the sky was blue and the sun shining. I rolled on into Wichita, KS to unload the 1st of 3 drops. As I called in to Davis, I told the LTL dispatcher that after this drop, I would have about 20+ feet and some 20k of empty deck space. I did not expect that she would find anything along my route and especially on a Friday.

Well I forget sometimes that she is AWESOME because she found me a load that only put me about 70 miles out of route going to Billings (along my route) that paid a flat rate of $1,200. Cha-ching!!!!! :shock: Extra $$ for only 70 miles. Love when those LTL’s work out!!

I am sitting here on my customers’ property in Harper, KS. They will load me 1st things in the morning and then I will be on my way. The best part of this load (beside the extra $$) is that it is a no tarp load.

Now if they roads get cleared up in Montana, Idaho, and Washington before I get there, I’ll be a happy camper.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:05 AM

glad everything is goin good for you

ill chat with you next week when you call me.....im outta here wensday am so form then feel free to call

im thinkin its gonna get hectic at work partner......
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member

02/02-03/08
The last couple of days have been smooth sailing so to speak. The weather has been good and I put a few miles behind me.

After loading my LTL load in Harper, KS, I beat feet to Denver before shutting down for the night. After a hot shower and a good nights sleep, I again beat feet for Billings, MT.

I wanted to make it here Sunday because I can off load first thing in the morning and of course I wanted to watch the Super Bowl. So I left early Sunday morning and kept the left door closed until I made it to Billings.

I am now shut down at the Flying “J” and am going to spend the rest of the day/evening watching the came. Tomorrow I will unload and then make my way to Missoula where I will stop to do laundry, stock up on supplies, etc.

Hopefully the passes heading towards Washington will be clear by the time I get there.

Well the game is about to start so off I go. Oh, by the way, even though it would be great to see New England make history, I am rooting for the underdog Giants!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
im thinkin its gonna get hectic at work partner......
what do you mean? :?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

02/04-05/08
Well that was a pretty darn good Super Bowl game. I was rooting for the underdogs and they pulled it off.

Anyways, I called my customer in Billings and they were surprised (and not all that happy) to hear from me. They had no idea I was coming. I must have spoken to a half dozen people and they all asked when I loaded. I got the impression that they were wanting and expecting at least a 24hr notice. When I explained to them that I loaded on Saturday (they are closed on the weekends), they all just said, “Oh, OK”. I gave them my number as they said they would call me when they were ready to receive.

While I was waiting, I called into Davis and let the dispatcher know that I would once again have half my deck and about 20k to spare. About an hour later while I was unloading, she called me and said that she found a load out of Helena, MT going to Woodenville, WA, once again the LTL’s have worked out for me on this trip. According to my odometer, I ended up going about 15 miles out of my way to pick up for an extra $475. Cha-Ching!!! When it’s all said and done, I will have made a nice chunk of change off the original and these LTL’s.

Once I loaded I hit the road and decided to go as far as Missoula as I wanted to get my tarp repaired (got a nice “wind whip” tear from the last lumber load I hauled from Idaho to Pennsylvania) as well as take care of a a few other things.

This morning, when I went inside the Davis office, I was told that Lookout Pass will be closed for a portion of today as they blast the mountains because of avalanche danger. So there is a good possibility that I may be here over night. I need to check all the pass conditions heading west and see what’s going on.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

02/06/08
I checked out the weather and it appeared all was clear going over Look Out and 4th of July passes so I headed out. Sure enough the roads were dry for the most part with a few areas that were wet but clear over the passes.

I figured I would be able to put some miles behind me but that thought got squashed when I hit Spokane. There the snow and wind was heavy and the roads were horrible. There were accidents all over I-90 so I decided to I’d be safe than sorry and shut down at the Petro.

I got up early and immediately tuned into the weather. It was reporting that Snoqualmie was open but traction devices required with possible closures for avalanche control. I don’t really like the idea of having to chain up but you have to do what you have to do right. So I pressed on.

As it turned out, the pass lifted the chain requirement just before I got there and it was just “advised” now. So I rolled on over without and hitches and shut down in North Bend for the day. I didn’t put many miles on but that’s O.K. as I am only about 30 miles from my first drop.

I could have rolled on over to the customer, but I had not called any of them yet to inform them of my arrival (like to give at least 24hr notice) simply because of the unpredictable weather over the passes. I didn’t want to tell them I would be there at a certain time and then not show up because I was delayed. So I got a nice parking spot at this beautiful TA in North Bend (being sarcastic) and contacted all of them and planned all my drops for tomorrow. Believe it or not, they all were pleased that I was coming tomorrow and not today. They all basically said the same thing about how they were swamped with trucks that were all delayed due to the weather. One of them even said they couldn't take me until Monday :shock: but then said since what I had for them was so little they would go ahead and take me tomorrow. So my stop here has actually worked out.

The weather here in North Bend is not too bad, it has been raining the whole day but the temp is in the lower 40’s. Hopefully it will remain that way (or get better) tonight and tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Be careful out there DD. i am glad to see you are doing OK so far!

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
Be careful out there DD. i am glad to see you are doing OK so far!

tootie
Thanks, safety is always first. And I am doing pretty darm good in all aspects!