User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Congrats on passing all your written tests! Glad to see things are going well for you.
Thanks.....it feels good to have them all done. Guess I'm a bit of an over achiever since I did not need any of the endorsements.....just figured why not and get them....never know if some day I might need them.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Great thread!! Was not familiar with the quality of class work and hands on that Sage gave. Sounds like they are doin' a great job. And whew, all the endorsements, that is a task.

As far as slack adjusters, I hope they explained the difference in appearance and function of manual and automatic. You take a wrench to most automatics, and you will be calling a mechanic out to fix it. Many of them cannot be backed off. For carlos64030, your fleet may be set-up with 100% automatic slack adjusters, which adjust themselves when a proper pump down test is done, and therefore may be the reason the shop does not want the drivers messing with them. Thus the statement made a couple of lines up.

Good Luck DevilDice.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Great thread!! Was not familiar with the quality of class work and hands on that Sage gave. Sounds like they are doin' a great job. And whew, all the endorsements, that is a task.
Thanks. I don't have anything to compare Sage to, but as a former Naval Instructor, I can see that they do have a very well put together program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
As far as slack adjusters, I hope they explained the difference in appearance and function of manual and automatic. You take a wrench to most automatics, and you will be calling a mechanic out to fix it. Many of them cannot be backed off. For carlos64030, your fleet may be set-up with 100% automatic slack adjusters, which adjust themselves when a proper pump down test is done, and therefore may be the reason the shop does not want the drivers messing with them. Thus the statement made a couple of lines up.

Good Luck DevilDice.
yes they did explain and were very specific about NOT messing with the automatics other than checking them and being able to identify if they are in need of adjustment. They explained that all T/T manufactured after 1994 (belive that was the year??) are required to have the automatics. Should we ever get a trailer that was older, we now know how to check, and adjust if needed, the manual ones.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Day 11 of CDL School 6/14/07:
Today was filled with videos. Only problem was that no one brought any popcorn. :sad: We watched and tested on Personal Health & Safety (included alcohol & drug use/abuse), Crossing the United States/Canadian Border (boy what a pain in the rear end that seems to be), Safety from Driver to Management, and lastly, Driver & Dispatch Working Relationships. None of the videos were “blockbusters” but informative just the same.

Other than that we just fine tuned a few areas such as Log Books and HOS regulations since we are ahead of schedule as far as the academic portion goes. We were originally supposed to have “Lab” today on sliding tandems and the 5th wheel as well as a few other things. But the trucks were out today as the class ahead of us went down to the DPS office for their road test, which they all passed on the first try. One instructor was telling the Director of the school that the DPS officer made a comment about how good these guys were and how they wish everyone was that proficient. Apparently all this was said within ear shot of Road Masters and Swift instructors as they too were down there testing. :lol:

Tomorrow will be a busy day of “Labs” as will make up for what we missed today as well as taking our “Final Exam” for the classroom portion. After that, it will be all Behind the Wheel training from there on out.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030
That's pretty cool that your school is showing you guys how to adjust the slack adjusters. I've been out of school for about 2.5 weeks now, but while I was there, we were never taught how to adjust the slack adjusters.

I asked why we weren't being taught how to adjust them and I was told that maintenance didn't want the drivers working on the trucks.
The way they explained it to us was that yes a certified mechanic is the one to service the brakes, but we as drivers should know how to adjust them if needed....such as at brake check points prior to steed downgrades etc. I think it is good knowledge to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030
Anyhooooo.... I've been out on the road for 5 days with my mentor and I'm really enjoying it. Good luck with your classes and landing a job with a good company.
Thanks. So who are you driving for?
"Swift".
Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Here ya go devildice......just in case there are more videos.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Here ya go devildice......just in case there are more videos.
gee, thanks... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Day 12 of CDL School 6/15/07:
Today was a very good day. We have been slightly ahead of schedule mainly due to the fact that we have been staying a little longer than normal class hours for the past 2 weeks. In turn, all that extra time has added up and therefore we were able to take our Final Exam today and it has allowed us to take the entire weekend off vise just Sunday.

Anyways, the Final Exam was 75 questions that all required us to choose the correct answer but also research and put the correct FMCSR regulation to support the answer. It was very time consuming as the FMCSR can be a bit of a bear to find certain regs. But when all was said and done, I scored a perfect 100%.

After the exam, we went outside to make up the “Labs” that we missed previously. We were shown how to, and then got to practice ourselves, on how to slide tandems and the 5th wheel. I know this may sound like I am a 6 year old, but I had FUN!!! It was also the very 1st time I have ever moved a truck in my life (won’t say I drove because the truck only went a few feet forward and back). It was fun and exciting.

Since I will be off for the next 48 hours and “Resetting” my Log Book this weekend, I think a few cold ones are in order to relax and celebrate the competition of our academics portion of the course. Monday we start our Behind the Wheel Training and I am looking so forward to it.

Side Note (this has nothing to do with school): Since I can not draw a diagram on here, I’ll try to explain it in detail so that you can get try and visualize it mentally…..I am on my way home from school traveling down a 4 lane divided highway, 2 lanes in each direction with a grassy median with those concrete retaining walls running down the middle.

The speed limit is 70 in the day time (65 at night) and I am in the hammer lane with my cruise control set at 70. There is a car in front of me about 4 or 5 car lengths and ahead of him about a half of car length and in the right lane is a cement truck (The ones with the spinning drums).

We (the car in front & I) were slowly gaining on the truck for the past couple of miles so I would guess that the truck was doing about +/- 65 mph. I hear what sounded like a loud shotgun blast, the car in front slamming on his breaks, me on my breaks (got to love ABS) and the truck shoot sharply to the left across our lane. This all happened simultaneously in a blink of an eye. As sharp as the truck went to the left, I knew for sure he was going to roll but instead, somehow, the driver kept her upright as he went straight into the grassy median and into the retaining wall. From beginning to end, it all happened within 1 ½ to 2 seconds at most.

I put on my 4 way flashers, pulled to the left shoulder and ran over to the driver. Fortunately, he seemed fine but obviously shaken up. :shock: I called 911 and waited for them to arrive. What happened, was that the left steer tire blew out which caused the truck to pull to the left. Luckily the car in front of me was not right along side the truck and was quick to react. Otherwise, it could have been a lot worse than what it was. This should be a lesson to every 4wheeler out there that you should never linger along side a truck for any longer than necessary because it can be dangerous for the truck and the 4wheeler. 1) For the above mentioned reason and 2) You may be in the trucks “Blind Spot”.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Nice thread Devildice! ops: Never mind the update on my thread! Glad to see things are going well for you!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Thanks GFIW.....can't hold a candle to your thread though :wink:
You are doing a wonderful job of informing newbies of what to expect in school. I think you will have a thread that will be very popular once you are out of school! I know I will be interested in it! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 06-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Day 12 of CDL School 6/15/07:
Side Note (this has nothing to do with school): Since I can not draw a diagram on here, I’ll try to explain it in detail so that you can get try and visualize it mentally…..I am on my way home from school traveling down a 4 lane divided highway, 2 lanes in each direction with a grassy median with those concrete retaining walls running down the middle.

The speed limit is 70 in the day time (65 at night) and I am in the hammer lane with my cruise control set at 70. There is a car in front of me about 4 or 5 car lengths and ahead of him about a half of car length and in the right lane is a cement truck (The ones with the spinning drums).

We (the car in front & I) were slowly gaining on the truck for the past couple of miles so I would guess that the truck was doing about +/- 65 mph. I hear what sounded like a loud shotgun blast, the car in front slamming on his breaks, me on my breaks (got to love ABS) and the truck shoot sharply to the left across our lane. This all happened simultaneously in a blink of an eye. As sharp as the truck went to the left, I knew for sure he was going to roll but instead, somehow, the driver kept her upright as he went straight into the grassy median and into the retaining wall. From beginning to end, it all happened within 1 ½ to 2 seconds at most.

I put on my 4 way flashers, pulled to the left shoulder and ran over to the driver. Fortunately, he seemed fine but obviously shaken up. :shock: I called 911 and waited for them to arrive. What happened, was that the left steer tire blew out which caused the truck to pull to the left. Luckily the car in front of me was not right along side the truck and was quick to react. Otherwise, it could have been a lot worse than what it was. This should be a lesson to every 4wheeler out there that you should never linger along side a truck for any longer than necessary because it can be dangerous for the truck and the 4wheeler. 1) For the above mentioned reason and 2) You may be in the trucks “Blind Spot”.
Been there, done that! Plus, had a 4 wheeler riding my tandems on I-10 East, just this side of Columbus. Blew not one, but both tires on my left rear driver (darn retreads). One of the gators flew up in the air and landed on this guys roof. The 4-wheeler was all over the place for a couple of seconds, but got it to the side with OK. Of course I pulled off also, although I was lucky and got the exit ramp and was able to get onto the feeder and off the busy Interstate. This guy came at me with every word in the book. Being the calm and cool guy that I am most of the time, was able to settle him down access the situation, and determined that everything would be alright. He did not want to call DPS about the incident (but they showed up anyway, someone else called thinking we were fixin to duke it out). When DPS showed up, we were both standing quietly on the side of the road having a trucking conversation. The officer took a report, to cover my tail and left. About the time our tire company showed up, the 4 wheeler driver left and all was well. Damage to his vehicle was some scratches on the roof and rear deck, that more than likely would polish out. My company never did hear from the guy.

Moral - had this guy been behind my drives instead of the tandems, things had the potential to have been deadly.

Have a nice Fathers Day all, keep up the good work DD.

Louis
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA