User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

1099 is the amount of money paid to you through out the year.

Kinda funny when you think about it. My settlements I get are the amount paid after all draws (labor, fuel, insurance, escrow fund etc.) And, my checks still ranged (bi-weekly pay) between $4,000 and $9000k. And, that includes the slow season when nothing was going on...I had a carrier which kept me very busy. If I would have stayed running for them, I would have had a 1099 of $210k last year. But, I agency hopped, and screwed around alot. My 1099 from that agent was $40k, and that was for Jan, Feb, and the first week of March.

EDIT: I'd also like to add. Which agent you work for is just as important as how hard you run as well. There are big booking agents, which will run circles around other agents. Take for instance, I made $10k paid to me after expenses in January, and in June I was working for a mega-booking agent. That month, I made $23k paid to me after expenses, and only ran 4200 miles.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Don't take this the wrong way but I wasn't saying wow before. I think maybe those figures are misleading a lot of people and I tend to believe Rev's figures he posted before and his bottom line was more in line. I think he was at like $50k when all was said and done.

The way it was posted your bringing home more than $250,000 and I find that WAY hard to believe just based on 2 movers I have had first hand experience with so far this year alone.
Appreciate you, Steve. We need to understand how things really are and create an environment where 'average' wage earners aren't afraid to talk about what they are doing.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Board Icon

Wow - the numbers in this thread are so inflated, you can see them from space with the naked eye. :lol:

I did $182,314.49 last year on 54,941 miles.

Subtract out my writeoffs that are not directly tied to "real" expenses (such as depreciation), and I took home between $50K and $60K last year. And I was out for about 8 months.

I was talking to a guy the other day who pulls for our company, and he did about $300K last year gross - but he had two trailers that he would swap - one would get loaded while he was using the other.

I don't buy these numbers that are being thrown around this thread.

__________________________________________________ ________

And yes, Steve - that Mayflower guy got screwed on that load. If the shipment legitimately took up the entire trailer, he was making fuel money. Labor eats up between 10%-15% right off the top, fuel eats up between 20% and 25% (I was at 24% for all of last year, and am at 19% for this year so far), and that $3,000 was the gross - the driver only saw a percentage of that.

If it was a legitimate full load, with an auto, going 1314 miles (Worcester, MA to Tampa, FL), and I were hauling it, it would break down something like this:

Transportation - $5800 (of which 52% is mine)
Origin services - $280 (of which 100% is mine)
Destination services - $170 (100% mine)
FSC - $814 (100% mine, and calculated as 15% of the transportation costs)
Auto - $1300 (of which 52% is mine)
Bulky for the auto - $58

This is assuming no packing or any other incedentals, such as other bulkies, disassembling unusual furniture, long carries, etc.

If she got it for $3000, then more power to her. Something still doesn't sound correct about it, but more power to her. I don't think the load was as large as what you have made it out to be, or they were simply using it as a way to get down to FL for a real load. But if my company came to me asking me to haul a full trailer plus a car 1300 miles for that amount, I would tell them where they could shove that load.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Subtract out my writeoffs that are not directly tied to "real" expenses (such as depreciation), and I took home between $50K and $60K last year. And I was out for about 8 months.
Sure depreciation doesn't follow payments clearly, but it does give you an idea. You can't depreciate more then what you pay for it.

Out of curiousity, how much do you figure you "actually made" after real expenses?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Out of curiousity, how much do you figure you "actually made" after real expenses?
As I said - about $50-$60K. Factor in some nice writeoffs this year, and it left me with a net loss. Next year, I won't be so lucky (unless the housing market stays in this slump its in).
Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Wow - the numbers in this thread are so inflated, you can see them from space with the naked eye. :lol:

I did $182,314.49 last year on 54,941 miles.

I was talking to a guy the other day who pulls for our company, and he did about $300K last year gross - but he had two trailers that he would swap - one would get loaded while he was using the other.

I don't buy these numbers that are being thrown around this thread.

__________________________________________________ ________

And yes, Steve - that Mayflower guy got screwed on that load. If the shipment legitimately took up the entire trailer, he was making fuel money. Labor eats up between 10%-15% right off the top, fuel eats up between 20% and 25% (I was at 24% for all of last year, and am at 19% for this year so far), and that $3,000 was the gross - the driver only saw a percentage of that.

If it was a legitimate full load, with an auto, going 1314 miles (Worcester, MA to Tampa, FL), and I were hauling it, it would break down something like this:

Bulky for the auto - $58

This is assuming no packing or any other incedentals, such as other bulkies, disassembling unusual furniture, long carries, etc.

If she got it for $3000, then more power to her. Something still doesn't sound correct about it, but more power to her. I don't think the load was as large as what you have made it out to be, or they were simply using it as a way to get down to FL for a real load. But if my company came to me asking me to haul a full trailer plus a car 1300 miles for that amount, I would tell them where they could shove that load.

More believable facts and figures, thanks!

When my sisters truck was packed it was only as high as the cars top. You could have stuffed more than twice the amount in there. The movers did nothing but pack the truck. Everything was ready to go.

I'm going to try and get my little devil of a niece to get a copy of the agreement and scan it for me.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
When my sisters truck was packed it was only as high as the cars top. You could have stuffed more than twice the amount in there. The movers did nothing but pack the truck. Everything was ready to go.
Sounds like a fuel money run if I ever heard of one. I just did one of those from Denver to Houston, so I could pick up some real revenue down there (that I just unloaded today).

Quote:
I'm going to try and get my little devil of a niece to get a copy of the agreement and scan it for me.
Please do - I would love to see it, to clear this up finally.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Bulky for the auto - $58
Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
Quote:
Bulky for the auto - $58
Yes - all my expenses come out of that, including my labor. I always am in the trailer or in the residence, working right along side my labor. On a full trailer full, I can expect to spend between $1300-$1500 in labor (about 3/4 of that expense is on the loading side). I could probably get out cheaper, but I believe in paying for performance. If my labor does a kick ass job, they get compensated for doing so.

On average, about 3/4 of what I earn goes to expenses. So, on a $5638 move, I'll likely have about $1400 left over after everything related to the job. Still over $1.00 per mile after all is said an done. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Board Regular

Still over $1.00 per mile after all is said an done. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

:shock: :shock: