User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It's not dry van. It's Household Goods. The Rev. did more than me at like $3.8x or something like that, and BanditsCousin's dad did almost $5.00 a mile at the end of the year. And, yes that is a 1099 of over $300k

Rank-that "yep" pointed at me?

Old 05-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
It's not dry van. It's Household Goods. The Rev. did more than me at like $3.8x or something like that, and BanditsCousin's dad did almost $5.00 a mile at the end of the year. And, yes that is a 1099 of over $300k

Yeah you guys make a bit more hauling house junk....didnt know so much more $ in it then dry van once I started, but learned after a few years I was at the bottom of the food chain so to speak.
But fiqured for my own reasons, first year as an owner op, n own authority, stick with what I knew and branch out latter.
And Teal...for the record, look at my first post, I DID specify I was talking dry-van, so it was kind of bone-headed of you to compare your moving buiz rates to a guy running dry van off load boards isnt it?
But I quess you just wanted to brag how much better you guys have it pay wise?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
yep.

agree 100%
Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
say rank...what were you hauling?
Oops, I misread your question earlier....thought you asked WHEREwe were hauling.

Almost everything is equipment of some type. Buses, a specailized truck, a specialized HumVee, air conditioning units, milling machines, steel plate, furnaces, a snow making machine, farm equipment........

Some pretty dollar stuff in some cases...the HumVee was valued at over $750,000. The freight charges pale in comparison.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

no prob rank, yeah you guys do better.....no real comparison.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Kind of a warm fuzzy when a seasoned veteran agrees with a young kid with 2 years in the o/o gig :lol:

pepe-I wasn't trying to one-up you or anything, but you stated on the 2nd page how people complain about cheap freight, but where do you go to do better. So, I broke it down and showed you where you can get better. God forbid you have to get dirty and sweaty, and honestly it beats the hell out of bumping a dock and snoozin in the sleeper til you're loaded.

You won't see me waddling through the parking lot at 450 lbs. :wink:

Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Board Regular

Pepe, Go to http://truckloadrate.com/truckload_r...s.htm?chart=TV This is last month's national AVERAGE for a van mile INCLUDING surcharge.

You can get a subscription to truckloadrate.com and you can then put in any 2 towns and they will tell you what the average dry van rate was for that run the month before. Be careful. They have two amounts that they always give. One with surcharge and one w/out. Be sure it says "total rate." With loadboard work you only need to see the one that includes surcharge.

Loads going back into CA are the cheapest usually, so staying out longer and doing runs that pay more is something for you to think about. Another thing is once you have found a load, and you are first talking with a broker, always ask for more. If you are on the phone in a civil conversation, the worst they can say is no. You have lost nothing.

It sounds like you're not as concerned about "making a killing" as some are. But don't let your attitude fool you. If you don't know your costs through some kinda calculation, and what you're spending, you can easily start running in the negative and have to get out. You really do have to keep some track of these things or your whole gig will just fold. THIS IS A FACT. You are warned.

I'm not getting into the part about where you have to take some of the money you make from the loads, and set it aside to be available when your truck needs maintenance and repairs. I assume that you already know that if you don't do this your gig will be up a lot sooner than you think. All this stuff that some operators get WAY into, HAS to be done on some level by every single company, no matter how little of money they are making.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
Pepe, Go to http://truckloadrate.com/truckload_r...s.htm?chart=TV This is last month's national AVERAGE for a van mile INCLUDING surcharge.
You can get a subscription to truckloadrate.com and you can then put in any 2 towns and they will tell you what the average dry van rate was for that run the month before.

Thks....good looking statistic, since rates always flucate good to stay on top of the game, dont know about a subscribtion tho, just mooch as much as I can for free there

Loads going back into CA are the cheapest usually---yeah that bites, but no need to stay close to here,
so staying out longer and doing runs that pay more is something for you to think about.---------.....Hmmm the game plan is 8 months actually lol....once I fiqure out how to do IFTA from the road.
Another thing is once you have found a load, and you are first talking with a broker, always ask for more. If you are on the phone in a civil conversation, the worst they can say is no. You have lost nothing.----------------Hmmm yeah was thinking just asking 100 more right of the bat, but thought about it, n better to see what his # is first, bad thing about bluffs is you gotta be ready for a call and no sense in marking myself as the guy wh always aks 100 more , but will take less.
It sounds like you're not as concerned about "making a killing" as some are. But don't let your attitude fool you. If you don't know your costs through some kinda calculation, and what you're spending, you can easily start running in the negative and have to get out. You really do have to keep some track of these things or your whole gig will just fold. THIS IS A FACT. You are warned.--------yeah believe me, it concerns me, seen a lot of container drivers go uner here cuz freight rates are so cheap. So livong a spartan lifestyle on-the-road to see if I can make it.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW

pepe-I wasn't trying to one-up you or anything, but you stated on the 2nd page how people complain about cheap freight, but where do you go to do better. So, I broke it down and showed you where you can get better.---------- Not really, asked what is considered TOO low for dry vans, got back the old answer, what rate can you make $ at?
I basicly said my rate I can eat soup at....n you beat me over the head that my crappy low payong dry vans I cant afford steak....yeah I know, but as I said, my years are in dry van, so going with that to start.

You won't see me waddling through the parking lot at 450 lbs. :wink------Hmmm tell me that in 30 years, then I will be impressed since I am a former Venice beach runner up in 1980 (yeah no shit really)
:
Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Board Regular