User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hmmm whats dry van getting thats considered too low? Say G-man or any old hands, I was told not to take really low freight cuz they want the rate to come up and if its not hauled at a really low rate most O/0ps fiqure it will go up....but my overhead and cost is very low so could go low if I want....um what in dry van is too low cuz I heard many loads will be around $1-1.10per mile which suprised me their that low....Hmmm do they mean that low or even lower? For me the crucial factor is actually the weight; I could make $ hauling them if their light like 5,000-15,000 lbs such as papper cups or napkins cramped full in a van like they like, but I suspect it will be funny to see that a 44,000lb load pays the same c's per mile as a 10,000lb load which is ironic to me.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Pepe, figure out ALL of your costs on a yearly basis, divide that by how many miles you plan to do.

Now, what do YOU want to make after all expenses are paid for?

Add those two CPM's together, and don't work for any cheaper!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah i know the gig....just wondering tho how low is too low that pisses other drivers off if I haul cheap freight? I was wondering if I could get a concensus on dry van...Hmmm am I asking too much....drivers to agree on anything?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Well to be a little more detailed, I work for 1.32 CDN right now. Insurance and trailer are paid for by the company, as well as every other "little thing". All I do is take care of the truck, and pay the fuel. I don't consider that cheap.

You want cheap? Go talk to bison transport up here. They're cheap.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah I can probably work as low as Bison and still make $, however I dont want to be a, 'sucker' hauling loads way cheaper then I should or anyone else would.....hmmm company lease trucks always get 90c plus feul surcharge.....hmmm as I understand the broker will screw me out of my surcharge by including it in my final amount anyway........so was thinking 1.10 would be the absolute lowest i would take and only if its a light weight load.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't care if it weighed 300 lbs....I wouldn't haul ANYTHING for $1.10. :shock: I'm not a broke ass, nor am I desperate for work and to pay bills...so I would sit if I couldn't make money off of a load. You'd be better off flippng burgers at McDonalds for $6.00 an hour than running 100k miles a year at 1.10 a mile.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
I don't care if it weighed 300 lbs....I wouldn't haul ANYTHING for $1.10. :shock: I'm not a broke ass, nor am I desperate for work and to pay bills...so I would sit if I couldn't make money off of a load. You'd be better off flippng burgers at McDonalds for $6.00 an hour than running 100k miles a year at 1.10 a mile.
Hmmm rather be out running loads with the other latinos, you know the Mexican truckers well they are going to undercut me so much I heard I gotta start there!
Hmmm quess thats the low paying freight you guys always tell me not to take...k Ill run it anyway ;-p
Me I Can make $ off a 300lb, 1.10 load easily, I have overhead right now cut to the bone....to compete with the other latinos coming over soon....although suppose I wont make them twist my arm if they want to pay me more :shock:
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Ohhhh Boy! At 1.10 you'd be working for less than a lease-driver who's making .90+FSC which right now is probably about .24 or so. The lease driver isn't paying for a trailer, load costs, permits, or liability and cargo insurance. So, he's making significantly more than you at that rate. At that rate, he's making about the same $/mile as a company driver. However, out of that he has to pay self-employment tax, retirement, and health insurance. Therefore, the lease-driver is making significantly less than the company driver. So let's review the chain again...if you haul for $1.10, you're making significantly less than a large company lease-operator who is making significantly less than a company driver for the same outfit. So I ask you, what's the point?

Know your real costs. An O/O that spends $30,000 on a tractor doesn't have a truck expense 1/3 that of a guy that spent $90,000.

I try not to touch dry freight for less than $1.50 and that's only if there's a benefit to it. If it's just to keep the wheels turning, screw it. You don't make money just turning the wheels.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

$1.10 is pretty cheap. Unless it's a backhaul to a huge $2.50+ load or something.

You have a lot more expenses then I do, and I would not work for $1.10
Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Ohhhh Boy! At 1.10 you'd be working for less than a lease-driver who's making .90+FSC which right now is probably about .24 or so. The lease driver isn't paying for a trailer, load costs, permits, or liability and cargo insurance. So, he's making significantly more than you at that rate. At that rate, he's making about the same $/mile as a company driver. However, out of that he has to pay self-employment tax, retirement, and health insurance. Therefore, the lease-driver is making significantly less than the company driver. So let's review the chain again...if you haul for $1.10, you're making significantly less than a large company lease-operator who is making significantly less than a company driver for the same outfit. So I ask you, what's the point?

Hmmm not convinced I would make less, cuz he would be weighted down withh 44,000 lb loads, we were talking a 1,000 lb load hypotheticaly. You know kind of funny, when I did my own economics of the situation, I have to charge roughly 10c a mile more for 10,000 lbs the math came out differently and was more complex, but to make it simple for myself I rounded it off that way. For example if I took a load weighing say 2,000 lbs for 1.10 a mile, for 12,000 I need 1.20 , 32,000lbs 1.30 and of course 42,000 I want 1.40.......no lease Co. will do that, they expect me to haul a 40,000lb load for the same rate as I haul a 5,000lb load .....no thks, as a independant I pick n choose what weight loads ill take at what price. The companies try to convince me it will all equal out FAIRLY BS I say.

now your real costs. An O/O that spends $30,000 on a tractor doesn't have a truck expense 1/3 that of a guy that spent $90,000.

HMmm how about 20k I spent and 9,400 for insurance....hmmm factor in about 9-13k for breakdown repairs and theres my operating expenses for the year....oh yeah throw in about 3,500 for permits and agencies....n whatever Braken charges me for IFTA; although oonce I get the hang of that 1 n less nervous about uncle Sam and audits ill do that 1 myself.

I try not to touch dry freight for less than $1.50 and that's only if there's a benefit to it. If it's just to keep the wheels turning, screw it. You don't make money just turning the wheels.
WHERE?????? funny everyone complains ill run cheap crap, but no one gives me hints where to get better ;-p