User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was able to get coverage through Northland but, I think having my CDL since 93' helped, even though I only used it for about four months total since I've had it.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth

Me, I'll drive 4 days on Rt 80 contemplating the delivery point. Zooming in on Google Maps to plan my attack. Planning every move using logic, determination, GPS, Mapquest, Microsoft Streets and Maps, the local police and sometimes have the customer take down a fence so I can pull in straight!!!! lol

Hats off to the local guys and gals for sure!!!
Hey Steve your not alone here. I went thru 4 windshield mounted gps's then got Microsoft Street And Trips.. I will go to the destination and look for any problems, add stops enroute to make it the best truck route then sometimes call the place. Also I've got on www.live.com a few times to plan the attack :twisted: . I hate that dreaded feeling that you just passed your des or the directions given led you to a no truck area. Last night I hit my first fence trying to get turned around at a shipper.. It was already hit pretty good.. They dont have space for OTR sleeper trucks to turn around without jacknifeing.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4

Mr. GMAN, maybe I will look into leasing to a company. I have saved from one of your earlier posts the costs of running a truck. I need to find a company that's going to pay more than what a lot of these big companies pay. The only thing I don't like about leasing to a company is I won't get the experience, I believe anyway, of negotiating rates and seeing the costs of things. They will be doing that and sending me on my way like any other company driver.

As it is now when I call these brokers on behalf of the company I always ask questions so I am gathering a fair amount of info.
If you want to make more money while leasing to a carrier, you should find one that pays percentage. You can usually make more money. You will be told what the load pays and you can then decide if it is what you want to do. With some of the percentage carriers, you can do some negotiating. Those who pay mileage it really doesn't matter what the load pays because your compensation remains the same. I thought you mentioned you had about 1 year of driving experience. Exactly how much experience do you have? The level of experience will determine who you may be able to go with as an owner operator.
Thanks GMAN as always. My year or almost year unfortunately is comprised of about 6 months local and really only 4 months OTR. I know you never advise someone to go right out and buy a truck, but a large part of that is, I assume, that people need to see if they can handle this lifestyle. Also, I know people need to learn fright lanes and all that, but I'm making so little money at 28cents a mile that I figure that even by just learning on my own, I can't do much worse then that. Of course it helps that I would just buy the truck for cash and have money for repairs set aside. I wish I could go with Landstar, cause from what I've been reading, especially from your posts, I'd do well with them.