Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   I can't get insurance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/24783-i-cant-get-insurance.html)

merrick4 02-12-2007 04:35 PM

I can't get insurance

I don't know how you guys do it, maybe different states but here in Florida I can't get insurance before two years. Progressive is the only one but within a 300 mile radius.

I have just about a year on my license. I can buy a truck cash, not a new one of course, have whatever I pay for the truck have in reserves as well. I have a guy that will keep me busy with freight out of Florida.

Really my only option is to stay a company driver for another year at 28 to 30 cents a mile or buy a truck and lease on to a company for a year. But that seems to me like a glorified company driver. Maybe I'm wrong in that and no offense meant at all to anyone.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Rawlco 02-12-2007 05:39 PM

Sorry, there aren't many options. What some people do is get the 300 mile progressive policy and run wherever they feel like, ignoring the 300 mile restriction. I do not however recommend this.

merrick4 02-12-2007 05:48 PM

Yeah I'm not too comfortable with that. It's all good to do stuff like that as a kid you know, but there comes a time in life where you don't have 10 or 15 years to put things behind you.

RostyC 02-12-2007 07:12 PM

Who have you called? What was the quote from Progressive by the way? What year did you get your cdl?

merrick4 02-12-2007 07:27 PM

I've been calling agents. The one I called today said she worked with 30 different companies and she can not write one for less than two years. As for progressive we never got as far as a quote since I don't want one for less than 300 miles. From where I live that won't even get me out of Florida.

I got my license last March. The problem also is I went local at first. This won't affect my two year time frame but for instance if I went OTR right away I'd be coming up to a years experience and could at least look into Landstar.

flood 02-12-2007 07:41 PM

try ooida
http://www.ooida.com/

bullhauler 02-13-2007 12:40 AM

Just an idea, try O/O with a good company, up here thy cover ins and plates in the deal, because they get fleet rates. failing that ask Steve, on from desk to own authority how he got his.

GMAN 02-13-2007 01:18 AM

Merrick4, I just renewed my insurance today. Since so many have asked about insurance for the inexperienced, I mentioned it to her. She told me that the only insurance company she knows who will write insurance for someone who has less than 2 years experience is Progressive. She did, however, mention that some states require some insurance companies to underwrite the coverage if you have motor carrier authority. I wish I could remember the name of the program she mentioned. I don't know how you can have motor carrier authority without insurance. If I remember correctly, you can get a number conditional upon getting your insurance information to them by a specified time. I have had my authority for a number of years, the time line requirements could have changed somewhat. My agent told me that it will likely be very pricey without the experience. If no one else is familiar with the program I will try to get the name again from her. She told me that any insurance agent who writes commercial truck insurance should be familiar with the program.

To be honest, it would probably be in your best interest to lease a truck to a carrier and get some experience running a truck for at least a year before going out on your own. With two years driving behind you, insurance will be much less problematic. I know some owner operators who do as well leasing to a carrier as they do on their own. Keep in mind that your premium is dependent on a number of factors including your credit rating, age, experience and commodities hauled. When you lease your truck to a carrier they assume all responsibility for the insurance other than bobtail or unladen liability.

LOAD IT 02-13-2007 03:50 AM

Try Commercial Insurance Services Oklahoma City

person 02-13-2007 06:19 AM

Rob Farris (truck insurance)
209-745-4909

See if he can do anything for you, and please post what he says.