User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I basically sit on the floor, more relaxed for me, besides if people can`t see me they probably won`t hit me up on the cb.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
I like the way this thread is going...the info is good and a lot of people really llike to follow online reports like this. As far as I'm concerned, Steve is more than welcome to continue with his postings and his stories, but let's keep it to a single post. The inflammatory postings and polls from both sides can stop now. Thanks in advance.

Now what will I post ?!?

I ride w/ my seat high as I have long legs. ( 6' 3" )
Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
whenever I can't stay in my own lane I get off.I have only stopped once and that was during a tornado warning in Arkansas
So, can I assume that's a signal to slow down or stop when your being pushed out of your lane?
Not necessarily. During a tornado in Oklahoma and a blizzard in Iowa I was being pushed into the other lane of a four-lane highway. Did I stop? What do you think? No! Of course not! Once you're completely off the highway and lying 90-degrees to vertical, then pull over. It's probably unsafe to venture further.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 AM

ahhh good o'l pete driving. when you have the seat on the floor, so you feel ever single pothole, crack, or bump in your tail bone. I grew out of that real quick, figure i've got an air ride seat, might as well use it. Much more comfortable to have some air in the seat, not to high, but just right.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth

I still can't understand a word most people are saying on the CB. It's almost like they have no teeth and are speaking a language all there own.
Still nobody talks to me except on a rare occasion. I bought a bunch of gum and chewed it up then stuck it to my teeth then filled my mouth with marbles and everyone was talking to me left and right like I was some super trucker!!!! Man, this guy must be a 50 year veteran hauling 300,000 pounds because I can't understand a word he's saying. Give me the mic honey, I want to talk to this guy!!! lol

So, you need to get your teeth pulled, put a plug of chewing tobacco in your mouth before you start talking on the CB. And don't forget to spit. That really makes an impression. :wink: I have had some of these people get mad at me for asking them several times to repeat what they have said. They buy these $400 radios, turn them up to full power along with the echo where you can't understand them. They wonder why you can't understand them on your cheap radio. :roll:
Well, I'm a southerner through and through, speak with a solid drawl and a bit of a twang and dip with a big 'ole plug between the cheek and gum, but if I can't understand someone else on the radio I'll just tell them frankly: "I caint understand a werd jur sayin'! Probly need to turn down the echo a bit!". I can't stand echo! I think some folks just don't realize how high they have it turned up and how hard it is to understand them. If I still can't understand them, I'll ask them to spell each word outloud. They'll usually just shut up after that. 8)
Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Got a late start this morning around 4:30. Went outside to do a pretrip and it was light rain, real cold and chilling to the bone. Couldn't wait to get back in the warm cab. Did my log book and I was on the road.

I turned on my wiper for a second to clear the windshield and half of it was still rain. I was like, geeze, they didn't last too long. I turned on the windshield washer and most of it went away. Mmmmm, a clue.... Turned on the defroster full blast and in a minute the rest cleared away. Now I'm getting that feeling something is wrong.

The speed limit is 75 for cars and 65 for trucks at night and I'm doing 55. I tend to start out slow in the morning. No cars are passing me and I can see a few a little ways back from me. I get on the CB and ask some truckers going the other way how it looks over there shoulder. WELL, they go on for 5 minutes naming at least 10 mile markers ahead of me where truck after truck is turned over, cars wrecked and even a police cruiser on it's back.

Rest stop 2 miles.....I'm there and got a great spot on the entry ramp off the road in some dirt. The place is jam packed. I listen to the CB weather channel and the highway is all ice and the temp is 25. I'm going to sit here for a while until the sun starts to come up and maybe the DPW does something. I have a feeling Texas really doesn't have the provisions to deal with this as it's uncommon? Not sure?

I just turned on the TV and the upper right hand corner of the state is into a winter storm watch and I'm right on the outskirts of heading into it. I think I'm going to watch for a while and see what's up and may turn back to the truckstop I just left and hunker down. I want to get home but I think I'll listen to my instincts.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is a good thing you slept in last night, Steve. :wink: Texas tends to get more ice than snow, or at least will have some ice mixed with snow, especially around Dallas and up in the panhandle. Amarillo can get a bit tense during some of that nasty weather. I assume you are somewhere near Amarillo, if you are traveling along I-40. Texas is like most areas of the Southern U.S. in that we don't get much snow and ice so we are not as prepared to deal with it as those in the Northern and Eastern part of the country. Other areas tend to have more snow than ice and it is sometimes more dry. We often get either a mixture or a wet snow which will often turn to ice making road conditions hazardous. It isn't that difficult to travel on snow, but ice is another story. The good news is that it usually melts in a day or so. With so many vehicles on their side, you made the correct decision to get off the road until things clear. There is no need to endanger yourself and others by trying to drive in icy conditions. No load is worth risking your life.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM

Yup, I turned around and came back to the truckstop at exit 126 off I-20. I'll watch TV for a while and maybe venture out around 10 or so if it sounds any better. Looks like the whole East Coast is going to get something so it could be tough going the whole way back, oh well.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That sounds like a good decision, Steve. If you are on I-20, then you are probably somewhere near Midland or perhaps Abilene?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Board Member

If you are on 40 I know it will be hairy to at least OKC. Very ICY!!

We left tulsa last night and only went 60 miles till we shut down.....I44 is a sheet of ice but we are doing OK.

I know Tulsa and OKC are under the storm warning till sunday night.

Be careful....

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Closed Thread