User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Wow, all these facts and figures makes me want to go back to bed. I think I have a new plan when I come out West but not sure if I can do it every time. I did 600 miles my first day and a little under 600 yesterday and made it to the IOWA80 truck stop. Like a candy store for truckers here for sure. I think the only reason I made 600 each day was the weekend.

Pretty boring riding through Ohio with the speed limit 55 then all of a sudden they had covered up the 55 for trucks and it was 65 the whole way. I stopped for a break at a service center and as I was walking back to my truck another trucker pulled up next to me. I said how's it going and he looked mean and didn't say anything to me. Had a cowboy hat and boots and the name on his truck was "Cowboy Trucking". Oh well.

I get going and about 1/2 an hour later here comes cowboy. I'm doing 45 through the construction although there's nothing going on. He comes by doing maybe 60 and there's a cop. BINGO. Not sure if I felt glad or sad.

I started out yesterday about 2am then all of a sudden at 7am I just felt like falling asleep on my steering wheel. There was a service center 1 mile ahead and I pulled in. 2 hours later I wake up to a phone call listening to some women tell me she's selling her house and going to live on a boat. I'm sure you'll hear more about that in another thread.

I thought for sure we were going to have a tornado yesterday. I use to live in Iowa and conditions were right. The wind was wicked and hard to walk in one direction. I had an ID light out on my truck so I replaced all the lights at once. Been that route before, when one goes, it's a chain reaction. Got my hair cut and a big steak. The walk back to the truck was easy with that wind.

I'm looking forward to the nice country through Iowa and Nebraska today and I'm well ahead of schedule but I'll keep doing the 600 a day if I can. I told them I wouldn't be there till Thursday but Wednesday looks like for sure now. I'm heading for Milford UT which looks like a small town. Not much going out of there or the surrounding area so I may have to dead head a while.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You should be able to find a load of hay out of the area pretty easy Steve. Maybe Landstar or Mercer has something out of Geneva Steel up the road a piece.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Board Regular

Owner Operators Forums. Why is this plural? Isn't it many threads one forum? Or is Steve's thread a forum?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
Owner Operators Forums. Why is this plural? Isn't it many threads one forum? Or is Steve's thread a forum?
LOL
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Everyones throwing around this $1500 a month number. Where do you get a new truck that cheap? At 9% for 5 years that's a 70k truck. Trucks here(canada) are twice that amount.

I agree with brian on this one, a used truck that is well taken care of and the bugs are worked out will be more reliable and cheaper to operate then a new truck.

New trucks cost more then they ever have. Coupled with less fuel mileage, and less reliability due to emissions equipment, and it's a no brainer for me.

There's a reason 2008 model truck sales have taken a huge shit.

It's not about buying a used truck to make "some" many and stay afloat. If you MUST buy a used truck, you're working for too cheap. It's about making "more" money, not having to run miles, and being less stressed.

Even if you pay 5-10k a year in repairs, you're still money ahead with the used truck.

Buy a new truck up here with no trade-in, you're looking at about 2500-3500 a month, depending on price and interest of course. There's no way in hell you're going to save even half that amount in repairs.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
Several months ago you were on here talking about getting started, now you have a brand new truck that you may pay off in the next 5 months. What did you buy? A Ford F-350? Your posts are hard to follow but I smell a dead rat. Please make me believe you.

If i must...

First you made a mistake of assuming things about me, i did not start ,,several''(whatever that means) months ago,i started a year ago and if u need i will copy and paste my cab card for you to see. Second is that i DID NOT finance all 100% of the loan on that truck which gave me a head start and third is that for the past year i acctualy didnt miss a payment :roll: and was able to pay in orderly fashion which also brought down the buy out price to around 50K in the next 4 months, money that i will be able to save after all expenses including my living costs. So far i banked(saved) 41K on 110.000mls and thats after everything that you can imagine and i have 1.5months to go.

Smelly rat you aint gonna find here as 100% of the things i said here or anywhere else are backed up by the facts that i can present to any doubtful party if, asked ofcourse....and if its hard to follow anything i said i would politely ask you to point as to where that is so that i can clear the air.

Thank you.
If you must BS us then continue. With a minimum CPM of about 70 cents on 110000 mi then your costs were $ 77000 leaving $33000. You want to tell us that you banked $41000. Your numbers are like your threads, hard to follow, because they dont make sense. You know a guy that did this and a guy that did that and those stories make sense, but then yours dont. I hate calling you out like this, I just dont like people broadcasting bad information, we get enough of that from the news media. As for backing up what you say, there is no need. Your posts will speak for themselves.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

CPM of about 70 cents on 110000 mi then your costs were $ 77000 leaving $33000 :roll: :lol: , at 1 dollar per mile YES !!
Do you acctualy own a truck?

110000x 1.25 = 137,500
- 50,000 (fuel)

Truck price- 99600 at 30,000 down payment, 5 year note at 1546 p/m..(first payment came in August of 06, 9 pymnts. so far..) at 13,900

Insurance- 327 p/m at about 4000 p/y

OTR food- about 2500 at about 10$ p/d or so..(bring my own food)

Oil changes- 2000

Truck tax- 1300

__________________________________________________ ________ =
73,700 on expenses

137,500 - 73,700 =

No DEBT of any kind, house paid for by me and my dad way before i started driving. Very little tax at around 2000. believe it or not, my life style has not changed a bit from when i worked in a grocery store making 10.00 ph...

Apologies to Steve on hijacking his post !
Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd say something but I'm sure Rev will be along here shortly :lol:
Old 04-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
I'd say something but I'm sure Rev will be along here shortly :lol:
I've been here the whole time.

Carry on. :wink:
Old 04-24-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Eh, I just don't have the energy tonight, maybe tomorrow 8)
Closed Thread