Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Doesn't really bother me to put that money out. Just one less meal at the Outback. But, I don't look at it that way because it doesn't bother me. Sort of like buying $50 dollars of Girl Scout Cookies at my previous job then putting them all out at the coffee room.
Quote:
A lot of my words are taken out of context and that's wrong.
Quote:
I don't hunt around for fuel and have driven into CA close to empty instead of filling up before and paid $3.30 per gallon. I take a shower in the morning then fill up with fuel instead of the other way around so I can get the free shower. There is a lot I could do to improve my bottom line but it just doesn't matter to me. It's a convenience and a luxury.
Quote:
I tend to spend more money on comfort items than anything else.
Quote:
I just came to the point where the money just didn't matter to me any more.
Quote:
I don't run as much as I could.
Quote:
I very rarely drop a load off and pick up another one until the next day.
Quote:
I'll wake up around 1 or 2am and take it easy for a few hours drinking coffee and writing on here.
It's stuff like this, things that are out of the ordinary that are the reasons I feel this thread does a disservice to people getting into the business, and are the reason why I will continue to call out what I feel are the "BS" items. It is things like this that are the reason I call Steve a "hobby trucker". Things caring what your bottom line is and maximizing your profits by watching your expenses are all things that are extremely important to the normal business owner.

Quote:
I know the only reason some people want to know my numbers is to make me look as bad as possible just because they are pissed to the max.
If you say so. :roll: If you posted your real numbers, and they showed a good healthy profit, then I would be the first to congratulate you. I don't see how your numbers could make you look bad unless your numbers were bad.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Where did Steve ever state that his was a normal business operation?

Where did Steve state that he was writing all of this was as a teaching seminar on how someone SHOULD start in this business?

He simply is chronicling for us how HE is doing it. While most people want to mazimize profits, there are many that run successful businesses for the main reason that they enjoy what they are doing or enjoy the lifestyle. Those are not reasons to call "bs" on what he is doing. Now if he was telling newbies that this is how they SHOULD do it....that's different. Last time I checked he was simply telling his story. The fact he does not have to run "balls to the wall" to squeeze every nickel from his operation is his perogative and frankly, I'm a bit jealous. How many other businesses are run just like this....fishing guides, tour operators, artists etc. They love what they are doing and the freedom of doing it their way vastly outweighs doing it any other way.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Where did Steve ever state that his was a normal business operation?

Where did Steve state that he was writing all of this was as a teaching seminar on how someone SHOULD start in this business?
You know that, and I know that, but the noobie who stumbles in here doesn't have a clue.

Quote:
Those are not reasons to call "bs" on what he is doing.
Those aren't the reasons why I call BS.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

*** CAUTION, noobies take note, do not attempt this on your own ***

Put my truck and trailer in yesterday and had a PM done on both. I also had both inspected even though it wasn't due until next month. I would rather have something found while I'm at home instead of on the road.

I also had the mechanics go over the whole truck and trailer and they found all 4 belts on my engine needed to be replaced. All of them had many cracks . I had them all replaced last year. So much for T/A and there Ultimate PM they sell. This should have been caught by them a lot sooner.

Bought some new mud flaps for my trailer but that's going to take some work to put them on. My trailer is a Great Dane and they only use 3 holes to secure the flaps then they cut the corner off. This approach has always made them look crooked which I don't like so I'm going to by some 1/4" iron and make a new 4 hole bracket.

I'll probably head out next week some time.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM

I came across this post last Jun 10 (10:47pm) on another thread in here:

"I'm gonna give you a taste of what's to come, just cuz I'm that darn nice. First trip from NJ to CO paid me $10,538.49 on 1868 actual miles, and 6 days to complete. That comes out to $5.64 per mile, or $1756.42 per day. (not counting the $600 tip that I got for the job). That number may be increasing a bit, as they didn't pay me the FSC for the car I hauled (another $220) "

As a noobie just stumbling upon this I concluded I could take home $10k in 6 days trucking on a regular basis. I had to read the entire thread plus others and PM some of the authors to find out there was a lot more involved and no, I wouldn't be taking home $10k in 6 days. Almost like that guy that posted a copy of a 1099 for what was it $179k (cant find it anymore) and no details of the rest of the operation. What a disservice!!

Noobies beware!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM

I just did a search and no such thread exists?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 PM

The info about the trips, I found it on a thread titled something like beddbugger revenue contest as part of searching to find out as much about "trucking" as I could earlier this year. I have a mental picture of the 1099, just can't find it in a thread. Maybe I'll start reading Playboy again so I'll get other mental pictures.

After reading other threads and other sites, asking questions both online and off, I learned that "paid me $10,538.49" didn't mean that's what I'd get to keep (thought it did on first read - found something with minimal office politics and 6 figures takehome pay. Yipee!! Both quashed with further research!)

Posters don't always put all information into every post that may be needed for decisions. Heck, most probably don't even consider a noobie may be reading their post as "gospel". Some don't put info in on purpose (for whatever reason), some inadvertently, some don't think it's relevant. Doesn't matter. Noobies like me need to be aware of that, read ALL of the thread, and ask questions before coming to any conclusions about what to expect. Even then, I'd recommend talking to a couple truckers "face-to-face" about your conclusions.

Thanks for posting what your doing while at home Steve. Good reminder that there's more than just maintenance one might need to plan for during home time! If only truckers would pay enough to make a valet service worthwhile..clean sheets, bottled water, a fresh pine tree on the rear view mirror.........
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewbie
The info about the trips, I found it on a thread titled something like beddbugger revenue contest as part of searching to find out as much about "trucking" as I could earlier this year. I have a mental picture of the 1099, just can't find it in a thread. Maybe I'll start reading Playboy again so I'll get other mental pictures.

After reading other threads and other sites, asking questions both online and off, I learned that "paid me $10,538.49" didn't mean that's what I'd get to keep (thought it did on first read - found something with minimal office politics and 6 figures takehome pay. Yipee!! Both quashed with further research!)

Posters don't always put all information into every post that may be needed for decisions. Heck, most probably don't even consider a noobie may be reading their post as "gospel". Some don't put info in on purpose (for whatever reason), some inadvertently, some don't think it's relevant. Doesn't matter. Noobies like me need to be aware of that, read ALL of the thread, and ask questions before coming to any conclusions about what to expect. Even then, I'd recommend talking to a couple truckers "face-to-face" about your conclusions.

Thanks for posting what your doing while at home Steve. Good reminder that there's more than just maintenance one might need to plan for during home time! If only truckers would pay enough to make a valet service worthwhile..clean sheets, bottled water, a fresh pine tree on the rear view mirror.........
The 1099 in question is mine, and in the same thread I clearly stated not only what my labor costs were, but also that approximately 2/3 of everything I earn goes towards expenses. :roll:
Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Rookie

Only 2/3's of total income going for expenses? Not really that bad.

I've had a few buisnesses that had worse return ratios.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Well, because Steve Booth broke this thread and because he requested it I'm locking this down.

Explanation: Steve sent me a PM explaining that he tried to post just as the system came up and somehow this got the pages off by 1 page, if you click on page 153 it says no posts found.

This is not punitive, rather it is house keeping.

Steve, feel free to star another thread concerning you journey.

Now, everyone, remember to play and post nice. :shock:

Closed Thread