Old 02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
You never did say what the weight was of her shipment..... :wink:
She doesn't know the weight but the truck is not being shared by another load. They are driving straight from her house to FL and also taking one of her cars. She went with Mayflower for $3,000.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

They had to provide her an estimate with the weight in order to come up with the transportations costs based on the tariff we operate under. For $3000 she can't have too much stuff :wink:
Old 02-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Board Icon

Wow - 3 grand is either really cheap, or a really small house. The car alone is about 1/3 of that rate.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM

It's a 3 bedroom 2 story house with a finished basement and garage stuff. Not sure how they came up with the price but all 3 companies came up with the exact same price.

A friend of mine just moved on Friday. His new place was 2 miles away. They packed everything into the truck in 2 hours, unpacked in 1 hour while him and I sat in chairs and watched. Cost him $300. These guys were animals. No dolly or anything. Picked everything up either by hand or with a strap. These were just local moving guys. I'm never moving myself again. It would have taken me 3 days and would have killed all my buddies!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
It's a 3 bedroom 2 story house with a finished basement and garage stuff. Not sure how they came up with the price but all 3 companies came up with the exact same price.

A friend of mine just moved on Friday. His new place was 2 miles away. They packed everything into the truck in 2 hours, unpacked in 1 hour while him and I sat in chairs and watched. Cost him $300. These guys were animals. No dolly or anything. Picked everything up either by hand or with a strap. These were just local moving guys. I'm never moving myself again. It would have taken me 3 days and would have killed all my buddies!!!
Absolutely agree.

I have paid for my moves the last 7 years. Worthy every penny. This last one was a 3 hour load, 90 minute unload, plus 2 hours drive time for the labor. Cost us $450. You're not worn out at the end of the day so you can actually unpack. Like you said though, the pros are really good. They pack it tight and quickly.

When we moved up here, her company paid for moving expenses. They quoted us $2500, or about a dollar per pound. Miles were about 370. The driver got a good chunk of that, obviously. Minus his labor at the load and unload plus fuel.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Not sure how they came up with the price but all 3 companies came up with the exact same price.
The estimator came out, accounted for the items to be moved based on a system of standards (avg weight of a tv, bed, box, etc) and the transportation charge was calculated based on a 400N tariff. After she moves, she will have a BOL (Bill Of lading) with the exact weight, fuel surcharge, origin labor factor, destination labor factor, and (if applicable) additional insurance costs (if elected by the shipper).

Keep in mind, I'm a United guy ( United = Mayflower ) :lol:

But seriously, they have provided her with an estimate of the weight already. If shes under contract to move with mayflower, they've provided her witha folder/packet of info of the charges, list of services provided, what to pack, what NOT to pack, etc. Moving companies can't shoot off quotes without a weight estimate :wink:

Based on you figures of what it would cost to move her, you're doing quite well. Although your quote of $900 at each end for labor is a bit high. Actually, its really high. It costs me that much to load my 53'er nose to doors.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Steve, something isn't right with that estimate. I can guarantee you that her 3 bedroom house, is not going to fill up the trailer...I've had two houses and a car in my trailer...as well as one 3 bedroom house, a jaguar, and a ford pick-up..and, I could have decked over those two vehicles and put another 1-2 bedroom apartment in there. Typically I will have 3 houses on my trailer. I hauled two shipments from Seattle Washington, down to Los Angeles, Ca...FULL TRAILER...that had a $11,500.00 LINEHAUL on it..that's just the transportation charges, not to mention Origin/Dest. charges, the packing charges, etc. added to it. I made 3 runs during the month of June, and grossed just over $40k, on 5k miles...$18k from Dayton, Ohio to Seattle WA, $11,500 from Seattle, WA to Los Angeles, Ca. and then another $11k from LA, to East Texas. That was a full month of work for me....tell me THAT's not worth it?

I think your sister needs to re-evaluate her estimate...or, I can guarantee you that there will be another shipment on her truck...no HHG driver would go 1/2 way across the country for a $3k shipment....after all...this isn't freight!!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
no HHG driver would go 1/2 way across the country for a $3k shipment....after all...this isn't freight!!
Well, BC probably would. :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
no HHG driver would go 1/2 way across the country for a $3k shipment....after all...this isn't freight!!
Well, BC probably would. :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
That's no lie...last time I talked to that monkey, he was running trailers around for Wal-Mart for "his agent" to get loaded and un-loaded...Householdfreighthaulingdeadheadingtruckre ntingextraodrinare!

Closed Thread