User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac
If you are standing in the trailer can you see the ground thru those channels? I don't think they are open, of course I'm not positive as my Transcraft doesn't have anything like that at all.
I just went out and looked from the bottom and sure as heck you can see the load under there. It's not a 1/4" gap but more like an inch!!! I think I can close it up from underneath. I'll wait till next week when I'm home and unloaded.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Steve, from looking at those pictures. It looks like when somebody replaced the wood, they put narrow boards in there. You could put new wood down on the trailer to close up the gap. Wha la, no more wind from underneath
Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
Hey Steve, from looking at those pictures. It looks like when somebody replaced the wood, they put narrow boards in there. You could put new wood down on the trailer to close up the gap. Wha la, no more wind from underneath

I agree with sidman, I NEVER seen a setup like that before, might be the previous owner went cheap on the fix.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I aslo carry one of these for those frozen locks, sure beats a hacksaw.

http://cableorganizer.com/solder-it/pro-torch200.htm
Old 02-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I asked if I was going to slow and they were all non stop telling me lead and that I was the one keeping everyone sane. Good conversations once again and everyone in a good mood.
May as well sell the truck 'cause you'll never hear that again LOL. A good old fashioned convoy is as hard to find as hen's teeth. Haven't been in one since about 10-15 years ago when the o/o's did a 20 mph rolling fuel price protest through Toronto. It was a beautiful thing now that I look back on it.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
No, that's the way this model comes. You can buy these sliding accessories that slide in like hooks and eyes. I've seen other Great Dane trailers with this also. Those gaps WILL become history.

On another note. With regards to moving my sister from Mass to Florida. It's about a 1,300 mile move and I would do it for $1.00 per mile. The Van would cost $250 and moving help on both ends would be a total of $900 for 2 guys for 8 hours. Plus the cost of renting a bunch of pads so that about a total of $2,600 dollars. She just got a moving quote from 5 places like Mayflower and all the big ones. The all said $3,000 !!!!!! How can this be! This seems real cheap!!!! Needless to say, we will not be doing this ourselves.

Can you bedbuggers explain? I thought you got like $5.00 per mile. Not you but the company.

This is a 4 bedroom house.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac
I aslo carry one of these for those frozen locks, sure beats a hacksaw.

http://cableorganizer.com/solder-it/pro-torch200.htm
I'm going to get one of those. Looks handy. It says it can be used for dental work also..LOL...I can see sticking that in someones mouth to fix there bridge...ha ha ha...Sort of like Young Frankenstein when he lights his finger on fire and yells....Did you guys know that was the father in Everyone Loves Raymond who played Frankenstein? He just died.

What hump?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
No, that's the way this model comes. You can buy these sliding accessories that slide in like hooks and eyes. I've seen other Great Dane trailers with this also. Those gaps WILL become history.

On another note. With regards to moving my sister from Mass to Florida. It's about a 1,300 mile move and I would do it for $1.00 per mile. The Van would cost $250 and moving help on both ends would be a total of $900 for 2 guys for 8 hours. Plus the cost of renting a bunch of pads so that about a total of $2,600 dollars. She just got a moving quote from 5 places like Mayflower and all the big ones. The all said $3,000 !!!!!! How can this be! This seems real cheap!!!! Needless to say, we will not be doing this ourselves.

Can you bedbuggers explain? I thought you got like $5.00 per mile. Not you but the company.

I don't know if it still goes on or not, but do you remember a couple of yrs ago in florida, where ppl got cheap quotes only to find out when they got to florida, the price doubled or tripled. They held their possesions hostage. Now, I don't know if that practice has stopped and if Mayflower or the big ones were involved, but it's something to keep your eye on...
Old 02-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth

She must not have a lot of stuff. 1300 miles for $3000 means she might have around 6000#'s. Have any of these companies came out and given a written estimate? Phone estimates aren't always suffice. Many times, a shady agent estimates a weight, and I'll go over the estimate by 1000's of #'s, and the customer must pay. Its a competitive market (selling HHG moves).

BTW, I make around $5/mile, but your sister would NOT be the only on on the truck. Its not uncommon for me to have 1-6 different shipments in the van. A lot of it is LTL.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
I don't know if it still goes on or not, but do you remember a couple of yrs ago in florida, where ppl got cheap quotes only to find out when they got to florida, the price doubled or tripled. They held their possesions hostage. Now, I don't know if that practice has stopped and if Mayflower or the big ones were involved, but it's something to keep your eye on...
Mayflower, sister company to United Van Lines was NOT involved. in fact none of the big guys were...we know better and let our reputations sell our moves.

The company in question was Apollo Van Lines, and they were owned by some shady foreigner. Oftentimes, people are only worried about PRICE when moving their whole life (ie: all their worldly possessions) across state lines. I've heard stories about people contracting a cheaper mover, because the quote was $1500 cheaper...only to have alcoholics moving and damaging their items on moving day OR finding out about hidden charges like having to pay for each pad on furniture (the big guys don't do that!) :lol:

Bandits tip of the day- you get what you pay for. :wink:

I often have people's possessions on my truck anywhere from 2-8 days, and I get phone calls at all hours of the day and night asking where I'm at (even though they can track me online). When I say I'll be somewhere, I always am, and always call my customers (almost) daily.

Watch out for shady moving companies.