User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Be carefull coming down out of that place, you will be around 44K

The customer in Norwich Ct is open 24 hours a day, they take it anytime 8)

Just curious PM me the rate, I'll check back and see if its the same I got.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Rookie
Default Copper

Steve,

Have you had to think about safeguarding high dollar loads yet ? I read somewhere, (Flatbed Fred ?) that it's a good idea to keep your copper load tarped to keep out prying eyes and don't talk about the load while enroute.

Copper is right at $2.60 per lb on the market. What would that make your load worth in the black market scrap metal trade ?

Would this be considered high dollar freight and warrant increased security awareness ?

Maniac: What are your comments on this ?

NFRay
Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Its a no tarp load, and I have $100,000 in cargo liability, if THEY accept my insurance then the load is worth less than that otherwise they would want more insurance.

As far as protecting it, if "they" want it I won't stop em.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Board Icon

Steveoh :P

Hey man. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the driving. Thanks for the interesting writings. So you're at the copper mine. Is that near Marana,AZ? I picked up a load of copper sheets at the mine south of Marana. Sounds like the way you're going. The mine was out in the middle of nowhere. All of a sudden,I turned,and there it was. That was some of the most beautiful country that I have seen. Out there in Arizona,both northern,and southern. The drive down from Flagtown to Phoenix in I-17 is pretty too. Drive it in the daytime,so you can see everything. Thanks for the posts.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Rookie

Great photos. Arizona has some beautiful country. Now get someplace with a truck wash and get that truck polished up.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Steveoh :P

Hey man. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the driving. Thanks for the interesting writings. So you're at the copper mine. Is that near Marana,AZ? I picked up a load of copper sheets at the mine south of Marana. Sounds like the way you're going. The mine was out in the middle of nowhere. All of a sudden,I turned,and there it was. That was some of the most beautiful country that I have seen. Out there in Arizona,both northern,and southern. The drive down from Flagtown to Phoenix in I-17 is pretty too. Drive it in the daytime,so you can see everything. Thanks for the posts.
With that kind of weight he will most likely smoke is brakes the whole way down.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Show Low is on the Devil's Highway
Old 01-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
With that kind of weight he will most likely smoke is brakes the whole way down.
I didn't have a problem nor did I have a problem in Colorado with 40k going over the mountain passes and grades more than 7%. You need to read Rocky's writeup on how to come down a mountain. My feet are on the floor in the proper gear and the jake on all the way down.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Show Low is on the Devil's Highway
I agree but it was absolutely breathtaking.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM

I finally got into the mine about 9am after sitting for hours. I had to watch a safety film and do all sorts of paper work since it was my first time going in. I go down and pull behind 3 other flatbeds and wait to get loaded. They are pretty quick. A TMC driver behind me comes up to talk a bit. He's a trainer and was heading out with this load to pick up a new student. I didn't have a hardhat and he gave me a brand new one and said TMC supplies them for free. I went to pull out $20 bucks but he wouldn't take it. We talked for a while and was a little surprised I just went out on my own. Like GMAN, he was polite and said nothing. He checked how I secured stuff and said I did good.

I left there and right away down a hill to the little town. Where are my brakes? Oh yea, 44k will do that, push a little harder. The truck rides so much nicer with a load. It's amazing how just 10 little squares of copper can weigh so much. They guy from TMC did say not to leave your truck and trailer unattended overnight as this is a hot commodity to steal.

Out onto the open road after a few hills then straight flat sailing. Went through a small town right before the scales that looked like a scene out of a Mexican movie plot. Run down stores, closed up businesses and stores that looked like they were lucky if they sold $5.00 worth of stuff a week. Lots of places to drink though!!!

Pull into the scales and the girl behind he counter just looked at my load and waved me on without stopping.

Truck is running great but I can really feel the weight. Need to bring the tach up before shifting though or you lose a lot of momentum. My truck and trailer are just covered with dirt and oil all over the place. They must have put something on the road or I was following someone. Not sure where it came from.

I'm shut down early today. I'm filthy, no clean clothes to wear so I'm at the Pilot on 70 I think doing laundry and going to take a shower. I went into Arby's and dropped 3 things of ketchup and my coke on the floor. It went everywhere including all my clothes, face and hair. I need a maid right now!
Closed Thread