User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Steve, time to wake up from that nap. Better get rolling. So many miles and so little time!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta here
Hey Steve, time to wake up from that nap. Better get rolling. So many miles and so little time!
Ya ya ya. I'm on the side of the road in a rest area about 500 miles from Little America WY. I'm waiting for a fax to come in then taking a load back to Massachusetts which is about 1/2 an hour from my house. Man, you can sit for a few days with no loads at all in some places then drive for 1 day and look at 300+ loads. I'm learning and will either ask for more money in the future to go to bad freight spots or not take the load at all.

The load I'm getting today is 1,000 miles and paying $2.00 per mile. I have 2 drops though, one in Quaker Town, PA then on to Mass. No tarp but need chains. I like chains.

Met an old timer at that Little America truck stop and we talked for almost 3 hours about this and that. He said I definetly have the right attitude. He said it a few times but really not sure why.

He tried to get me to take over his route for him. He hauls split firewood from MO to NV and something back again, can't remember except over $2.00 per mile. It's his own business with his brother. I thanked him and said that would get real old quick and I was having too much fun roaming around. Once again, the right attitude he said.

I've only been out 2 weeks but it's registration and inspection time so I might was well do it now. It's always something I tell ya.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey Steve This might sound real stupid but you never know. I recently had a power steering pump go out on me and what I felt was the front end of the truck kind of jerking. Little bumps would set it off and it would shimmy and shake (not bad but just a pain) and then it would settle down and be great for a while. I could not pin point a speed. I looked at everything, took tires off rims and rotated, looked at all the suspension joints. Finnally I started getting wheel kick which is from air in the pump. I took the top off the power steering fluid reservoir amd put the spring and nut back on to keep the filter down and started the truck and looked in the tank and it was full of air bubbles. Put a new lines on first and that did not cure it and then I put a pump on and it is great now. It turns out a few days later I put a new air compressor on and the power steering pump is gear driven by the air compressor inside the front cover and the air compressor was junk. Bearings were right out of it and laying in the cover which caused the pump seals to fail.

You have a Detroit right? That is what this was all on.

Just a Idea.

Also there is a thin little bead (rib) on the tire just about 1/8" bigger in diameter than the outside of the wheel, check to make sure that that runs true all the way around the wheel. If that dissappears anywhere your tire is not mounted correctlly and will cause shaking

Hope this helps Mike

Oh Ya Steve I have been driving for 15 years and on my own for 7 and I have read all the posts on your topics and you are a inspiration. To go from key board to 10% grades with 80,000lbs in a few short months and your still in one piece. Your doing good.
Mike
Old 05-02-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tips Mike, I'll check out the power steering if I can and if not I'll have someone else look at it. That could be something that would heat up after a while.

Well, I'm loaded up with 2 boom thingies. Not really sure what they are called but they have 4 wheels, a motor and can steer then raise up like 50 feet. Something you would love to have at home when it's time to paint your house. I had to chain these babies but it was an easy one to do

I can't do the USB camera thing yet as I need my special 20' USB cable I have at home. I'm sure I'll find the problem with this approach. I'll post all my different videos for everyone to give there opinion then we'll see who gets it right!!

I didn't eat all day except for a bag of peanuts and just had dinner. Could only eat a little cause I waited too long. When they say tenderloin burger in Iowa they don't mean steak. It's fried chicken on a bun. It was good though.

Stopped and helped 2 Harley guys. I'm surprised these guys were riding custom built S&S choppers and didn't know the first thing about drive belt alignment. I think they appreciated my truck protecting them more than the tools and help.

Gonna stop at Iowa80 truckstop tomorrow and buy that cat walk storage thing and maybe some other goodies. I think if I buy more chrome I'll get more money per mile. Tootie told me that. She said that's what they did and now they have enough to buy a boat. I'm not talking to them any more anyways. They walk around wearing nothing but white and drink wine with all the other yacht club people. Damn trucker snots with a boat.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Board Regular

Sounds like you have a Cherry Picker.. Hauled one in back of a 53' Dry van once.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well, I'm loaded up with 2 boom thingies. Not really sure what they are called but they have 4 wheels, a motor and can steer then raise up like 50 feet.
/
Manlifts? Did you load is Shippensburg or McOnnellsburg PA?

Quote:
They walk around wearing nothing but white and drink wine with all the other yacht club people. Damn trucker snots with a boat.
You can do that when you pull drop trailers. Reminds me that I need to get my boat ready.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 AM

[quote="rank"]
Quote:
Did you load is Shippensburg or McOnnellsburg PA?
Yes, they are man lifts. I loaded in Iowa. These are National Rental ones that have been refurbished.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Hey Steve...if you are headed for Quakertown PA you should be running I-70 through OH to PA and then PA pike. If you come that way you'll be coming right by me. If you want to stop in Washington, PA (or near) coffee's on me (and a home cooked meal too if you want!)

Holler at me at let me know if you are near!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the offer but I'm under the gun. I have to deliver by 3pm tomorrow or I sit all weekend until Monday. After that it's a dash for Mass to be there in the morning then I can go home.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
Well, I'm loaded up with 2 boom thingies. Not really sure what they are called but they have 4 wheels, a motor and can steer then raise up like 50 feet.
/
Manlifts? Did you load is Shippensburg or McOnnellsburg PA?

Quote:
They walk around wearing nothing but white and drink wine with all the other yacht club people. Damn trucker snots with a boat.
You can do that when you pull drop trailers. Reminds me that I need to get my boat ready.
Yeah.....after we unload monday we get to hot foot down to NC and take some MUCH needed R&R 8) :P .....I will post pics on my thread......

The invite still stands steve!! 8)

tootie

ps....not too much chrome, they will think you are rich and then figure you dont need the money!! :wink:

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Closed Thread