User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I think this Pilot was popular because there was a bar and strip club close by. I'm making up for it tonight. I'm at a truckstop in Virginia off 81 at exit 101. It's a Shell station with an XL lot and an omelet restaurant. I just had dinner and going to watch a movie. My GPS kept telling me I had only driven 255 miles today so I kept going. When I finally stopped I checked my odometer and it said 578. I either reset the GPS or I've been driving around in a circle. Nice ride and glad I took the southern route, I hear Denver is getting pounded. A pretty uneventful day, took a 2 hour nap, saw some dead stuff on the road and 2 guys racing to the state line. One was governed at 62 and the other 63 but loaded differently, that was the highlight of my day. The speed limit was 65 by the way, not very exciting.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Steve, if you want DRAMA and Excitement -- WATCH TNT! 8)

I will take a boring and uneventful outing everytime-- Ok, maybe not boring :lol:

Have a safe Trip!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Board Regular

Damn Steve, you're missing all the 'fun' out here. :roll: It only got down to -12 last night, not counting the wind chill of course. I even saved your spot at the J for you. :P
Old 12-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Rookie

Steve,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you could pick up a copy of the "National Truck Stop Directory" from the store in one of the larger truck stops, it will give you lots of info on what facilities are available in the area where you intend to end your day.( Parking lot size, restaurant, showers, motels, internet access, repairs, scales, etc.) You can then adjust the length of your day's run to take advantage of the better facilities.

This should help you avoid the worst of the worst until you know from experience where you like to stop. Later, you may find that some of the smaller places are some of the better ones. Ask other drivers for info about good places along your route.

I still have the 2004 edition and they advertise over 6,700 U.S. & Canadian diesel locations. They probably have a lot more listings by now.

NFRay
Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRay
Steve,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you could pick up a copy of the "National Truck Stop Directory" from the store in one of the larger truck stops, it will give you lots of info on what facilities are available in the area where you intend to end your day.( Parking lot size, restaurant, showers, motels, internet access, repairs, scales, etc.) You can then adjust the length of your day's run to take advantage of the better facilities.

This should help you avoid the worst of the worst until you know from experience where you like to stop. Later, you may find that some of the smaller places are some of the better ones. Ask other drivers for info about good places along your route.

I still have the 2004 edition and they advertise over 6,700 U.S. & Canadian diesel locations. They probably have a lot more listings by now.

NFRay
good point-I forgot about the Directory
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Board Regular

The Trucker's Friend
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 AM
Board Icon

good trucking atlas will show Truck stops and a bit of info on them but not as good as the directory
Old 12-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Steve, I'm glad to see that you hit the road, made some cash, and made it home in one piece. $1.60 all miles aint too shabby for a newb. Good Luck and Congrats!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:02 AM

-14 and wind chill, I don't think so this run. I'm in Virginia and it's not too bad out. I have a Truck Stop Directory, that's how I picked that Pilot in NY. They don't list Hookers, Bars Nearby or Strip Clubs so I figured it would be just like the rest of them. I don't know what day it is anymore. I guess it doesn't matter just as long as I do my 500 a day or so which seems to be pretty easy. I'm sure that will be harder and harder to do as time goes on but for now it's ok. Time for a shower, get the Dustbuster out and clean, take the trash out. Damn, not enough hours in the day!! lol
Old 12-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Senior Board Member

If you run the same interstates enough, you'll know where to stop.

I hated the T/A at Wytheville, VA because the spots were blind side back up. feh. Not fun when you're the last one to arrive.

I did like the mom & pop place at Raphine. Lots of parking and they spell funny. "Meatloaf sammich wif termaters. $3.95" Eh? :P Used to be (2003) free showers if you said you worked for JB Hunt.